French Market Beignets

We’ve got about a week till Mardi Gras! How about some Beignets?

French Market Beignets

prep: 40 mins
chill: 4 hrs
cook: 1 min
stand: 30 mins
total: 5 hrs 11 mins
Yield: 4 dozen

Ingredients:

5 ½ - 6 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages of active dry yeast
1 cup evaporated milk
½ cup water
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
Vegetable oil for deep-fat frying
Powdered sugar

Directions:

Step 1

In a large bowl, stir together 3 cups of flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan, heat and stir evaporated milk, water, granulated sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F), and the shortening is almost melted.

Step 2

Add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.

Step 3

Place the dough in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and refrigerate the dough for 4 to 24 hours.

Step 4

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll into an 18x12-inch rectangle; cut into thirty-six 3x2-inch rectangles. Cover; let rest 20 minutes (dough will not double).

Step 5

Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan to 375 degrees F. Fry a few dough rectangles at a time in deep hot oil for about 1 minute or until beignets are golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a 300 degree F oven while cooking the remaining beignets. Generously sift powdered sugar over beignets. Serve warm. Makes 4 dozen.

Nutritional Facts:

Per Serving: 129 calories; fat 4g; cholesterol 14mg; saturated fat 1g; carbohydrates 20g; mono fat 1g; poly fat 2g; insoluble fiber 1g; sugars 6g; Protein 3g; sodium 77mg.

Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.

5 Likes

Looks so good! Yum! :heart: Thank you for sharing the recipe.

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I didn’t know you could make these at home, I had to share!

4 Likes

oh, this would be good for a family day or family dinner. I’ll have to save this one. Thank you @AMethyst.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious…but…four dozen? If I make that many, I’m going to eat that many. Do you have a recipe for artery cleaner? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Dipping sauce:

Combine 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add 1-2 cups of berries - cranberry, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry (fresh preferably, but frozen works, too). Bring to a boil and cook ten minutes, or until most of berries have popped or liqufied. Strain the sauce to remove seeds, if necessary, and enjoy while warm. Leftovers can be frozen and reheated for other purposes, such as with vanilla ice cream with a handful of walnuts or pecans.

3 Likes

You’re welcome, love!

Hee! Nope! I’d love to have some but my blood sugar says heck no! I love your dipping sauce too!

5 Likes