From the Shadows...Into the Light - Two more entries for the 100th Challenge!

I was hesitant to complete these two challenges as I don’t see magick as good/bad or black/white. I believe magick is neutral and that it is the person casting the magic that is using for either ill intent or beneficial purposes. However, I am big on listening to all sides of an “argument” no matter where you stand on an issue as it is the only way we can have constructive conversations that move us as a society forward.

So for the “From the Shadows” challenge, I purchased the book “Of Blood and Bones” by Kate Freuler, which has been chilling on my wishlist for a few months. As I started reading, I immediately knew this was the book for me to read as I read her introduction - knowing that not everything is great and perfect if I do everything right. There are bad people and they do bad things. Everything in nature hinders someone else to survive, gain dominance, and protect itself so why shouldn’t we?

As I continued to read, I was pleasantly surprised to see the first section is focuses on inner work, looking at your shadow. I have been heavy on the shadow work lately so this fits right in with where I am at currently. Kate asks you to look at the feelings that society has taught us are “unfavorable” and we may have hidden from ourselves: aggression, fear, anger, weakness. We tend to push these under and cover them up. However, fear, anger, and revulsion are natural and exist for us to survive! Having a healthy fear of animals that can eat you alive or kill you via venom of a single bite is quite logical. Getting angry because someone stole the car that you worked so hard to pay off is legit.

She goes on to discuss dark moon magic, blood magick (and other bodily fluids) such as family protection spells that use moon blood (menstrual blood), using animals/animal parts in spells such as a breakup spell using a chicken heart, and using animal/human bones in things like bone readings or spells such as to guard a secret using a dog skull.

While I hope I have no need to perform these spells, I enjoyed reading this book and learning more about the “forbidden” side of magick. Understanding the history and how to safely perform things such as the “Bad Neighbor Curse” can come in handy someday. It is also helpful to understand the dark side in case you are attacked yourself and have an idea of where to begin to undo it.

“Into the Light” we go!

Most of the magick I perform would be considered “white” magick. I create a lot of herbal remedies for family and friends and have begun dipping my toes into healing energy practices. Here are some of my favorite remedies.

• Cooling aloe-lavender burn gel: Combine the gel from 1 medium-sized aloe leaf (or 1 tbsp commercially prepared, alcohol-free aloe vera gel) and 10 drops lavender essential oil. Apply liberally to the affected area and allow it to evaporate naturally. Store unused gel in an airtight, labeled container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reapply as needed. Great for sunburns!!
  • Eucalyptus rub for colds/ congestion: in a medium sauce pan combine 4 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp finely grated beeswax over low to med-low heat, stirring until the beeswax melts into the olive oil. Remove from heat and add 40 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 4 drops of peppermint oil, stir to ensure the mixture is well combined. Pour into a small jar or tine with a tight-fitting lid. Allow it to cool completely before topping the jar/tin with the lid. Label and date the jar with the production date. Rub about 1 tsp on your chest as needed. The rub will last for up to a year.
  • Lemon Balm - Licorice infusion for cold sores: combine 1 tbsp fresh lemon balm leaves, 1 tsp. chopped (cut and sifted) licorice root, and 1 1/4 c. water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain into a mug, pressing any liquid from the herbs. You can drink this hot or iced. It is best to drink this 3-4 times a day as soon as you notice the tingling from a cold sore.
  • Sore Muscle Salve (a favorite among my blue collar friends): Combine 2 1/2 tbsp. St. John’s wort infused olive oil, 2 1/2 tbsp. ginger-infused olive oil, and 2 tbsp. peppermint-infused olive oil in a measuring cup (for easy pouring). In a small sauce pan, combine 2 tbsp. of the oil mixture with 1 tbsp. of beeswax pastilles. Heat slowly until the beeswax liquefies, stirring well. Add the remaining oil to the warmed beeswax mixture and stir well to combine. Pour into a 4-oz jar and allow to cool. Label and date the jar; store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight for up to 6 months.
Challenge Entry

This text will be hidden

8 Likes

I love this @Amaris_Bane!

6 Likes

Thanks! The book is an interesting read for sure. And this reminded me that I need to make more sore muscle salve for my husband, lol.

6 Likes

Great job on this entry! I’m definitely interested in any other information, on the to read/buy list!

4 Likes

I am trying to work on it but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right, if anyone would be willing to help me work on my shadow I’d greatly appreciate it, and I do apologize I had to just break down for a while, I appreciate everyone here.

Blessed Be

4 Likes

I love that u posted this. We are one in the same on this account.

4 Likes

@amy58 working with your shadow is definitely difficult. Each person’s journey/process will be different. I can share what I’ve been doing and you can take what works for you as you see fit.

An important thing to remember is that what makes up my shadow may not be a part of someone else’s. Your shadow side is parts of you that you’ve been told are undesirable, unfit for society, or even taboo. Depending on how and where you were raised, this is going to vary from person to person.

I mostly use journaling and meditations for my shadow work as this is what I’m comfortable with. I like journaling because I love writing and it makes me get my shadow down on paper so that I can fully analyze it. It brings the parts we hide into the light, allowing is a therapeutic means to face our selves we want to ignore.

There are a lot of great resources that have prompts you can use to journal on. I keep a separate pretty notebook for my shadow journaling. My first entry was writing who I am: who do I see myself as? What is my current occupation? Who are the people in my life who mean the most to me? Listing my pets because they are part of my family and emotional support for me. My current age. An I excited about this journaling experience? For me, my answer was that I was nervous about what is uncover so I followed this up with listing some of my concerns. Then I wrote what I hope to get out of the experience.

If say the first part of shadow work is all about self-discovery and self-acceptance. Some questions to think about during this phase are as follows:

• When you look at other people around you, which traits appeal to you the most?
  • What makes you feel embarrassed, and what negative emotions do you feel are better avoided?
  • What is it about yourself you dislike? If you could change one feature, what would that be?
  • What do you think your shadow is made of?
  • What were you like as a child?
  • What is one thing you are afraid of because of the authority figures in your life?
  • Take a moment to separate traits of your parents/guardians/caretakers into bad and good categories. Which ones do you resonate with the most, and how do they impact your daily life.
  • Does the way you treat other people reflect the way you treat yourself?
  • When certain subjects are brought up between you and people in your life, do you find yourself seeing up a wall to avoid getting overwhelmed?
  • What are you afraid of?
  • How do you think people perceive you?
  • What do you judge the most about yourself and other people?
4 Likes

I found myself nodding along in agreement with many of the points you covered- I am definitely in the “Wholesome/White Magick” camp when it comes to my practice (shocking to no one :laughing:), but I agree wholeheartedly that if it calls to you, there are many benefits in learning about the “darker” sides of magick- if for only knowing what is out there and how to best protect yourself. And the challenges can attest that I’m a huge supporter of learning new things and exploring different aspects of magick! :grinning:

Godo for you, Amaris- it sounds like the book had a lot of valuable insights (and some exciting spellwork too) for you! I wish you all the best as you continue to explore and embrace your inner shadow :black_heart:

“From the Shadows” and “Into the Light” were back-to-back challenges by design- I’m really happy you explored them both! :blush:

I’m also drooling looking at these beautiful healing recipes of yours- reminds me that I need to make some more aloe vera balm! Sunburn season is already here :laughing:

Beautiful work once again, @Amaris_Bane- thank you so much for sharing! :sparkles:

4 Likes