Gelt Peanut Butter Blossoms

I forgot to post a recipe yesterday. Ooops. Here, have a Hanukkah recipe just because. LOL. I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere about a pagan posting a Hanukkah recipe! :smile:

Gelt Peanut Butter Blossoms

Level: Easy
Total: 2 hr (includes chilling and cooling times)
Active: 25 min
Yield: 18 to 20 cookies

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (see Cook’s Note)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (see Cook’s Note)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or paste
1 large egg
Nonstick cooking spray, for the baking sheet
1/2 cup blue and white nonpareil sprinkle mix (see Cook’s Note)
18 to 20 chocolate gelt candies, unwrapped and frozen

Directions:

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl until combined.

Add the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the peanut butter and continue beating until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Put the blue and white nonpareils in a medium bowl.

Scoop the dough using a 3/4-ounce scoop (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) and roll the dough into a ball. Continue scooping and rolling until you’ve used up about half the dough. Roll each ball in the sprinkles and place on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Chill the remaining dough while the first batch bakes.

Bake, rotating the baking sheet halfway through until the cookies are puffed and lightly golden, about 12 minutes. Immediately press a chocolate gelt into the center of each cookie. Let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. When the baking sheet is cool, spray again with nonstick spray and repeat with the remaining dough, sprinkles, and chocolate gelt.

Cook’s Note:

When measuring flour, we spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess. (Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods.) Use regular creamy commercial-style peanut butter in this recipe and not the “natural” variety. We like the sweetness and texture it provides. Hanukkah sprinkle mixes, labeled as such, are often found during the holiday season. Or mix up your own blend of blue and white.

3 Likes

Very yummy sounding to me! I want to bake this season and do all kinds of things, but I am finding time going by so quickly! I have a lot of things that I want to get done, but none of them seem to be even started.

I love cookie recipes! I was looking for a good one to make them. I want to spend a day or weekend making them with my daughter. She loves to bake and we haven’t had a good baking day in a long time.

2 Likes

There just doesn’t seem enough time, does there? There’s like, two weeks till Christmas day, a week and a couple days till Solstice. Time just seems to fly.

Glad you l like the cookies! I can post more, I’ve got an interesting one that’s a cinnamon roll cookie recipe, where the cookie looks like an itty bitty cinnamon roll with icing on top. Does that sound good?

3 Likes

Oh that cinnamon one sounds really good! I don’t have very many recipes for cookies with cinnamon in them. Peanut will have a of fun with the rolls too. She loves cinnamon in her food also.

3 Likes

I’ll post it Monday then, or tomorrow night since I have to go to the doctor on Monday morning. They’re really cute looking, if I’m able I’ll upload the picture too.

3 Likes

Oh that would be great. I’m excited to make them with my daughter and to try them!

I just bought some chocolate chip biscuit rolls to make with her tomorrow morning with some cinnamon rolls. I used to have a recipe for “from scratch” cinnamon rolls… I’ll have to look through my recipe binder for it.

3 Likes

Huh. I just saw a recipe for cake mix cinnamon rolls. I’ll have to see if I saved it or not.

3 Likes

We are just synchronizing over cookies! I’m glad I made that FB post about them!

3 Likes

LOL. I liked that post. It was a good idea!

3 Likes