Gluten Free Bannocks

Gluten Free Bannocks

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 8 servings

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups oat flour you can also make your own by grinding oats in a food processor
1 cup garbanzo bean flour also known as chickpea flour
¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend use a blend with xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon granulated sugar I like coconut sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups milk of choice I like to use oat milk
1 tablespoon vinegar white or apple cider
½ cup dried currants optional
oil to coat the pan

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, garbanzo bean flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Mix well.

In another bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Stir well.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then mix well until a uniform dough forms. The dough will be slightly wet and tacky (that is okay!).

Fold the dried currants into the batter, if using.

Heat a cast iron skillet, griddle, or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with oil or add just enough to coat.

Using wet hands or an ice cream scoop, take a tennis ball-sized dollop of batter and pat it into a 4-inch round cake that is 1/4-inch-1/2-inch thick.

Place into the greased skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the edges are turning golden. Flip and cook 3-4 minutes longer until both sides have browned and the middle feels firm. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Serve warm and enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of Moon and Spoon and Yum.

12 Likes

Oooooo yum :yum:

7 Likes

Glad you like it, @Nixi!

6 Likes

Oh! This is perfect! :star_struck: Just the other day I was working on a list of foods that would be perfect for Beltane and one site suggested Bannocks- I had to look them up. They sound tasty and are a traditional snack for the upcoming holiday! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Love seeing the recipe- thank you, @Amethyst! :raised_hands: :heart:

7 Likes

You’re welcome, my friend! I’ve got an unhealthy recipe for this floating around somewhere in the group too! LOL!

7 Likes

Hooray for healthy and unhealthy- everything in balance! :balance_scale: :laughing:

Do you remember what the title was, by any chance? I can see the lovely Bannock Bread Recipe, but I’d consider that a healthy one too (although maybe that’s just me haha) :bread: :wink:

7 Likes

Yep, that’s it. It doesn’t have chickpea flour or special all-rising flour. But on this one, if you go to the recipe page it originally came from there are all sorts of substitutions and stuff.

Personally, they sound a bit like English Muffins to me, how they are made and look. I’d put raisins instead of currents and add a bit of cinnamon for a delicious breakfast bread!

7 Likes

Lol you said my favourite word to hear in food…gluten free :grin: but can i ask what are bannocks? And is there such a thing as gluten free oats? Id not heard of it so i was curious​:grin:

7 Likes

Bannocks almost look like little biscuits! They’re actually a traditional Scottish/Indigenous flatbread that’s made using common pantry ingredients. They’re super easy to make!

As for gluten-free oats, most oats are gluten-free as far as I know. It just depends on where they’re manufactured or packaged. If they’re packaged in a facility that also processes wheat, they wouldn’t be considered gluten-free or celiac safe.

6 Likes

Thanks for answering that, Megan. I appreciate it!

5 Likes

Maybe its different where you are with what oats you have available. Lol the only oats i know of have gluten. Things like oats, rye, barley, wheat all have gluten but oats dont have wheat.

So if only allergic to wheat i tjink maybe ok, but gluten allergy or coeliac then cant have… but maybe what we call oats isnt what you guys call oats??:thinking:hmm not sure or maybe you have a type of oats that comes from different plant to one with gluten… or its so processed no gluten traces of gluten left…

But again it may be different where you are. Im a coeliac so ive never been able to have oats because of the gluten but maybe we only have the gluten kind or not seen any other type of oats yet. :joy:be nice if there was a gluten free version of oats here cause i know a few recipes come accross have oats in but i don’t know an alternatice to swap it for gor never made them​:laughing:… if you know a brand of oats thats gluten free please let me know and ill keep an eye out in shops for it :grin:

5 Likes

They do look a bit like English Muffins, or even like crumpets! The pictures I’m seeing on Google of bannocks don’t seem to have the nooks 'n crannies inside though. I love those for soaking up the butter… mmm… and we’re back to unhealthy treats :joy: :butter:

Ohhh that sounds delicious! :yum:

4 Likes

@Amethyst – You’re welcome! Bannock is really tasty!

I’m not sure if the oats we have are different than what you have… :thinking: That’s interesting! I did find this from Healthline.

Pure oats are gluten-free and safe for most people with gluten intolerance.

However, oats are often contaminated with gluten because they may be processed in the same facilities as gluten-containing grains like wheat, rye, and barley. Healthline

So the oats themselves when processed in a facility that is purely oats are considered gluten-free because oats don’t have gluten. It’s usually when they’re processed in another facility that also processes food that has gluten that it becomes a problem with cross-contamination.

But maybe the oats are different and we just don’t know :sweat_smile: that’s entirely possible! I know Quaker makes a brand of gluten-free oats.

Oh! I did find something interesting, so you’re probably right that oats do have gluten, it’s just a different kind of gluten!

Avenins are oat gluten proteins, similar to gliadin in wheat. They can trigger celiac disease in a small proportion of people. Wikipedia

I’d say yeah, probably best to avoid oats unless you know they’re gluten-free. I did find this website for you, though, that has gluten-free oats and based in Australia! → https://gfoats.com.au/

5 Likes

Thank you :pray: @Amethyst These look really good! I might try them! :thinking: :hugs: :pink_heart:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m glad you liked the looks of them!

4 Likes

Mine too

Yes. There are a lot that are coated with wheat flour. Wheat is hidden in so many things that I gave up and now only buy things that are certified gluten free. It sounds snobby to me and usually more expensive but it saves probably an hour off of a grocery trip and quite a bit of sanity too

5 Likes

I’m with you @Nixi I only buy products that say Gluten-Free! It’s just easier for me and I got soooo tired of being sick! I have digestive enzymes to make it easier to digest it, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m still allergic to wheat!!! It’s not only what I eat it’s beauty products too! I have to avoid shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc., that contain any form of wheat.

Our lovely @MeganB has already found some great information for you, @Phoenix_Fire I occasionally buy Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats for baking, but I don’t really like oats. My husband eats them every morning. . . I couldn’t do that. . . yecch! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I do buy GF bread made with oats at our local health food store, but I’ve never baked with Oat Flour!

I’m making my shopping list now! I have been eating GF for over 30 years, so I’m not an expert but I do have a lot of experience. I really appreciate you, @Amethyst It’s so nice of you to post an occasional GF recipe! Thank you!

With love :pink_heart: and hugs :hugs: always

4 Likes

You guys are welcome for the recipe. I found a few others that look interesting. So I’ll try to post a few more!

3 Likes

Add cleaning products to that list too. Not all but some, including one of the limited ingredient ones that I tried for my son’s eczema, have gluten as well

4 Likes