2½ cups (600 ml) milk
4 tbsp butter, melted
about ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
cracked black pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large bowl, weigh bread flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Whisk to combine. Using a stand mixer with the beater blade or a handheld mixer, turn on low and slowly pour in the milk and butter. Increase speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 2 hours. You can use it immediately after rising, or refrigerate the dough for up to 7 days.

Pour about 2-3 tbsp of the olive oil into the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet* (See notes below)

Dump half the dough** on top of the olive oil and add about 2-3 tbsp more on top of the dough. Using your fingertips, dimple the dough and gently spread it to the sides of the skillet/pan. Cover and let rise until a little larger in size, about 1/2 an hour. (It won’t be doubled in size).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. When the dough has risen, sprinkle the rosemary, sea salt, cracked pepper, and Parmigiano Reggiano over the top and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serve warm with pasta or use as a sandwich bread by slicing pieces in half horizontally.

Notes:

*if you don’t have a 12-inch cast iron skillet, any oven-safe skillet or shallow pan can be used. Keep in mind that you will need to adjust the baking time accordingly. For example, if your skillet is smaller than 12 inches, you’ll need to bake the bread longer because it will be thicker. If your skillet is bigger than 12 inches, you’ll need to bake the bread for a shorter time.+

**The full recipe of dough makes 2 12-inch focaccia. Or you can use the full recipe to make one large loaf of focaccia. Double the amounts of the olive oil, rosemary, sea salt, pepper, and cheese and spread the dough into a large (half) sheet pan to the edges. Bake as directed above.

Bread will keep wrapped at room temperature for a few days, or it can be frozen for up to two months.
For dairy free, use dairy-alternative milk, such as soy or almond, and butter alternative, such as Earth Balance, or you can substitute the butter with an equal amount of olive oil in the dough. This will change the flavor slightly.

This same dough is also used to make my gluten-free pan pizza, which is incredible. Check it out here: The BEST Gluten Free Pan Pizza - Let Them Eat Gluten Free Cake

Recipe courtesy of Let Them Eat GFCake.com.

7 Likes

Huh… I’ve never heard of this one before :hugs: May have to try it out! :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

I don’t think I have bread flour, but I’m gonna see what I can substitute with!

3 Likes

I made it, well not this recipe but another, over twenty years ago and I remember Mom loving it. I hope you like it if you try it!

Bread flour is stronger or something like that. I don’t see why regular gluten-free flour wouldn’t work. Good luck!

6 Likes

Ooo, yummy yum yum

4 Likes

Focaccia bread woohoo! :tada:

This is so tasty with the rosemary- I usually load it up with lots of garlic too :garlic: It also goes great with an oven-roasted garlic dipping oil! :yum: (disclaimer though that, if you live with non-garlic lovers, you might have to sleep outside :joy:)

Awesome recipe for bread season, @Amethyst- thank you! :bread: :heart::blush:

3 Likes

Glad you think it’s yummy, Nixi.

You’re welcome, my dear. I have a whole bunch lined up. Glad you liked it!

4 Likes

Hmm…that should work just fine. You’re right! I also have some whole-grain flour, but that wouldn’t be a good substitute because of the density and whatnot - I’m slowly learning lol - but I think I can manage with some gluten-free flour. I’ve got some in the pantry!

4 Likes

Let us know how it turns out!

4 Likes