Goddess and God to the Left or right?

Hi all, i have an itching question i want to ask which popped up reading the book i am currently on called Wicca by one of my favourite witch and YouTuber Harmony Nice. Anyways, there was a section stating the Goddess generally is placed on the right and the God to the left… Now i never even thought of this as a thing and i being a newbie always had them placed the other way around. Can someone explain the reason behind this? I always thought right hand/side equalled dominant so i naturally put the Horned God to the right and the Triple Goddess to the left (not that i see her any less i just assumed that’s how it would be).
I have also felt a strong connection to Gaia and in honouring her i have purchased a book i can learn more about her and a statue to honour her by which will be placed in the centre since mother earth is the base of what most of us believe. Should i place her somewhere else as well?

9 Likes

In reality, it truly depends on you but within Wicca and Witchcraft, there are in fact a multitude of placements. if you check out our video here goddess is on the left and god on the right is the used placement. https://spells8.com/lessons/wiccan-pagan-altar/
In some aspects of American folk magic, the god is on the left the goddess on the right. When I started out 30 ish years ago I was taught the goddess is placed in the center or center-right with the god left of center or read of center. In other forms the god and goddess are placed together on the altar where you feel is proper. And in some, the god and goddess are symbolized only by the athame and challess which places them god on the left and goddess right. With the number of different practices out there. you will find a great number of different alter setups. So basically you want to set your alter up as you feel is right for you.

11 Likes

Thank you for your amazing insight and knowledge! This was something in the back of my mind since what i have read about wicca, pagans and other witch paths, it is all about the freedom of choice so although i know there is certain basics, there is always room to adapt and believe in different aspects. This is why i love the craft otherwise a Muslim witch such as myself could not be a thing or even exist! Appreciate you sharing with me and having thought about it all to me both the God and Goddess are equal but since i was able too place them in such as was changing their positions is not going to make me feel any less of each or neither is it going to affect how i practice, so why not :blush:

9 Likes

I did not even think about it. To me the goddes in the left and god on the right is very logical to me . And they appeared like this in my visualization as well.
It s also what I love about wicca and wichcraft , you can find you own authentic way. I like to meet a moslim witch :blush: you are the first

9 Likes

When I work with God & Goddess in rituals, I always put the God on the left & the Goddess on the right. It’s what has always felt natural to me, it always seems off when I put them the other way. Then I can’t totally focus on what I’m doing because in back of my mind it bothers me when they aren’t in the “right” spot to me.

When I am just working with my deity, I put Her more centered on my altar space or devotional space & the items/offerings around the statue.

6 Likes

Yes that is the same for me too. There is always a first for learning new things and people. Nice to meet you too! :blush:

5 Likes

Yes that’s a good idea putting the deity i would work with in the centre. Now @Susurrus that comes to my next question if you don’t mind me asking… I hear a lot of people say they ‘work’ with a certain deity, but what exactly does that mean? I get the offering part and asking deities to assist you with a certain ritual or spell but is there more to it i am missing? Are there other ways i can honour my deities and ask for help?

4 Likes

When people say they “work with” it basically translates to woship. Instead of worship or another type of word people say work with.

As far as other things you could do would depend on the deity. Offerings, gratitude, devotionals, meditation or however you choose to honor or follow their lead with gratitude would relate to things that correspond with them & learning their stories & history over time.

5 Likes

I have always felt a little ‘iffy’ about this. I don’t really have a representation of the horned god. I don’t work with a lot of deities, in fact just two, Danu and Hekate. (I think Brigid has looked in on me, and I have always told her that she is welcome. By some genealogies, Danu is her “grandmother.”)

I usually place my goddess to the left. Don’t know why.

5 Likes

I am kind of in the same boat. Prior to my events of the last 6 - 9 months… I only worked with Brighid. When regarding any shadow work, with me, theres always a chance of being in the darkness so I work with both the Morrigan & Brighid when I’m doing that type of inner work. I am currently meeting with Brighid almost daily & the Morrigan has gone where she needs to as i have learned & gotten where i need to be & no longer immediately need Her assistance. :smiling_face:

Interesting @anon87969570 that you bring up Danu as her grandmother, because I have seen the correlations with Danu & the Morrigan as well as Danu & Brighid & also the Morrigan & Brighid. Although I believe the most recent story I came across was that Danu was both of the others mother. All 3 are from Tuatha de Danaan… the exact relationship(s) aren’t nailed down, but a relation is there based on evidence (stories) from the time. Even though there may be a more Christian bias, which is part of the reason I think the exact relationships aren’t clear. :hugs:

4 Likes

@Susurrus, yeah, I figure they know what their relationship is. I don’t really need to.:grin:

4 Likes

I kind of just figured they were related on my own, but while they may share similarities the actual relationship doesn’t necessarily influence how I work with Brighid or the Morrigan & Brighid, but I’m a geneaology nerd :nerd_face: so it piqued my interest, especially when it came to how the relationship was portrayed through different texts or contexts.

4 Likes

Thank you for clearing that. I have been wanting to learn more about my deity Hekate so i decided i would read the book i brought dedicated to her alone. Other than until i learn more and more i will slowly incorporate different methods of gratitude and worship as i learn more :blush:

3 Likes

Learning what you can about Hekate will shape your relationship with Her & how you work with Her. You will find the right things for your relationship with Her. :heart:

2 Likes

When I was Wiccan and had representations of both God and Goddess, I put Goddess on the right and God on the left. I’m not sure why. It just felt…right? I think if you’re not following a specific tradition, though, just do it in whichever way feels natural to you and whichever way the Gods don’t mind.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.