Gods and Goddesses of Birds: Interpreting Divine Signs in Nature

After my post on seeing crows, “corvidomancy”, I’ve been exploring the fascinating world of birds.

Bird Gods-min
From “Bird Gods” - Public domain

I found a book named “Bird Gods” (1898) by Charles de Kay, who explores various deities associated with birds across different cultures and mythologies. I thought it might be fun to talk about some deities that are associated with birds and their role as spiritual messengers.

Music to accompany this topic: Archangels Thunderbird (YouTube) :musical_note:

Gods and Birds :raven:

Here are some of the gods and goddesses connected to our feathered friends, how birds can serve as omens, and ways to connect with these divine signs.

Odin (Norse Mythology)

Odin, the All-Father in Norse mythology, is one of the deities most strongly associated with birds, particularly ravens. He is accompanied by two ravens, Huginn (thought) and Muninn (memory), who fly across the world to gather information and bring it back to him.

Odin by Johannes Gehrts - Wikimedia

These ravens symbolize Odin’s immense wisdom and his role as a god of knowledge and foresight. The connection with ravens is so strong that they are often considered extensions of Odin himself, reflecting his presence and watchfulness.

Odin’s association with birds extends beyond his ravens. In the “Hávamál,” he transforms into an eagle to escape with stolen mead of poetry, having entered as a snake. This showcases his shapeshifting and pursuit of wisdom. Ravens symbolize thought and memory, while the eagle represents his cunning in acquiring knowledge. These avian connections are symbols of Odin and his mastery over wisdom and inspiration.

The Morrígan (Celtic Mythology)

The Morrigan, a prominent figure in Celtic mythology, is closely linked with birds, particularly crows and ravens. Known as a goddess of war, fate, and sovereignty, the Morrigan often takes the form of a crow or raven to influence battles and foretell death.

The Morrigan bird
Illustration from Pinterest

Her connection to these birds symbolizes her role as a harbinger of doom and a guide to the afterlife. The sight of a crow or raven in Celtic lore often signified the Morrigan’s presence and her influence over the outcome of conflicts.

The Morrigan is frequently depicted in myths as transforming into a crow or raven. One notable example is her appearance in the “Táin Bó Cúailnge” (The Cattle Raid of Cooley), where she transforms into a crow to intervene in the epic battle between Cú Chulainn and his enemies. By taking on the form of a bird, she exerts her power over the battlefield, manipulating the fates of warriors. This shapeshifting ability highlights her connection to the liminal space between life and death, reinforcing her formidable presence in Celtic mythology.

Thoth (Egyptian Mythology)

Thoth, the Egyptian god of writing, knowledge, and the moon, is often associated with the ibis, a bird revered for its wisdom and connection to the divine. Thoth is typically depicted with the head of an ibis, symbolizing his role as the patron of scribes and keeper of the sacred knowledge.

Thoth as an Ibis bird
Thoth as an ibis - Illustration from Virtual-Egyptian-Museum

The ibis’s association with Thoth underscores the bird’s importance in ancient Egyptian culture as a symbol of intellect and spiritual guidance.

Thoth’s imagery as an ibis-headed deity emphasizes his connection to the celestial and intellectual realms, embodying the principles of order, truth, and cosmic balance. His association with the ibis not only highlights the bird’s revered status but also Thoth’s crucial role in maintaining the harmony of the universe through knowledge and writing.

Other Deities Associated with Birds

Other gods and goddesses symbolized by birds are:

Zeus (Greek): Swan - Power and authority

Leda and the Swan (Zeus) by Gianbettino Cignaroli (18th century)

Aphrodite/Venus (Greek/Roman): Dove or Swan - Love and beauty

Aphrodite and doves-min
Aphrodite rides her chariot by Antonio Bernieri - found on Pinterest

Horus (Egyptian): Falcon - Kingship and the sky

Horus as falcon-min
Horus as falcon - Wikimedia

Garuda (Hindu): Eagle - Speed and martial prowess

Garuda_by_Hyougushi_in_Delhi-min
Garuda by Hyougushi - Wikimedia

Saraswati (Hindu): Swan - Purity and knowledge

Saraswati-min
Saraswati and the swan - Found on Pinterest

Thunderbird (Native American): Strength and storms

Thunderbird_on_Totem_Pole
Thunderbird on Totem Pole - Wikimedia

Quetzalcoatl (Aztec): Feathered Serpent - Wind and learning

Quetzalcoatl serpent-min
Image from HistoriaUniversal.org

Birds and Spiritual Messages :bird:

Birds have long been viewed as messengers in all of these spiritual traditions. They were believed to carry spiritual messages from spirit guides or ancestors. So it makes sense that today, encountering a bird can signify a divine communication, often indicating that a deity is reaching out to them.

When you have a notable bird encounter, consider using divination tools like tarot or pendulum readings to gain deeper insights into the message. These tools can help clarify which deity or spirit might be trying to communicate and the nature of their message.

Research and read about mythology, folklore, and spiritual texts to learn more about the birds and their symbolism. Understanding the historical and cultural context can enrich your interpretation.

18 Likes

Fabulous thankyou :heartpulse:

10 Likes

Birds usually tend to freak me out, but I do enjoy reading about the different deities associated with birds. Thanks for sharing, Francisco! :heart:

10 Likes

That’s so funny because today just after posting this topic, I went out and saw a dead bird on the ground… :thinking: Mmhhh… It definitely felt freaky!

11 Likes

That’s extra freaky :joy: you can keep the birds - I’ll stay over here with my snakes :snake: :laughing:

9 Likes

Birds scare me too a bit :rofl:

9 Likes

I love birds, but my mum is terrified of them. I love sea birds, the call they make fills me with peace. But they steal my fish n chips, :rofl: literally, swoop down and steal it. :flushed: But I think birds are creatures of magic for sure. :heartpulse:

11 Likes

I don’t mind birds… but when I worked at the zoo… a really long time ago, there was a macaw there who absolutely hated me. He tried to eat me more than once. No one could figure out why. I don’t really love tropical birds anymore!

10 Likes

I’ve always loved birds. Both my parents were birders and we’d take weekend trips to bird watch at refuges in Montana. I owned and bred Peach-Faced lovebirds and parrotlets for pets for almost 20 years. I may not own any as pets currently, but they still have a place in my :heart: :feather:

10 Likes

My sister had a macaw trying to attack her at a pet store. We left lol :laughing::laughing:
Wild birds would randomly land on her and start cocking their head sis to side. As she was screaming her head off. I mean many times :joy:

10 Likes

I learned to be better around them. Since my boss got this huge macaw he leaves alone . I always buy her toys. The poor thing. So lonely back there. I have had to clean her cage and I get her water everyday I am there. I bought her a radio :radio: poor thing was in silence.

Her name is Bubba

12 Likes

I’ve always loved birds. I don’t have any now, but when the kids were young we always had birds. We had a white cockatiel, finches, and parrots. And we always went to the park and watched the ducks and geese in the lake. Now I have hummingbird feeders out and love watching them. And I put out oranges and bread for the birds.

11 Likes

Are my favorite ones you posted @Francisco

8 Likes

When I was young, I loved Huginn and Muninn. Whenever I saw the comics starring Heckle and Jeckle, I felt they were Huginn and Muninn. Seeing a crow on a light post was my definition of high magick, as the Native Americans honored crows as the embodiment of magick.

TW: death

Summary

One day, I was coming home from shopping when I saw a crow flopping on the ground. I had my water bottle with me. Thinking it was suffering from summer heat, I tried to give it some water, trying not to get the liquid in its nares (nose holes).

There was a click if sorts, and I was aware of a bubble of awareness around me, centered on the crow under my hand. It looked me in the eye, and I felt it knew I was trying to help. Then there was another click, and it was gone. The bird died right then.

I was close to some bushes, so I laid the bird underneath and poured a little dirt over it with a funeral blessing. When I stood and turned, the church parking lot I was planning to cross to get home was full of dying crows. Several people had gathered to watch the event. A pair of Natives were talking to each other, and one said that someone must have poisoned them. I stood in the midst of this and my Soul cried out in a moan I hoped would echo throughout the Universe.

A few days later, I was coming home in the same area. A crow landed on a low branch and looked me in the eye. I felt he knew I’d tried to help.

One year, I was having difficulty connecting to Spirit. I requested that the Creator use a hummingbird to represent Spirit’s presence during a storm because I noticed that the wind didn’t affect the hummingbird the way it affected larger birds. Ever since, the hummingbird has brought along an awareness of spirituality. So for me, a hummingbird deity connection makes sense.

As for messages from birds, hawk has always warned of danger. Falcon brought a sense that I own all I see or have mastered some lesson I was learning. Sea gulls represented joy. Robin symbolized hope.

When I was young, I was mowing the back yard, when I noticed a chipping sparrow on a branch above me. Despite the noise and motion so close below, the chipping sparrow refused to move, and sang over the sound of the mower. Ever after, I considered a chipping sparrow a symbol of friendship.

I was at a park where I’d once had camp. The raspberries weren’t in season, and I had a full hour to spend while Mom was swimming at the YWCA. A blue jay called to me, so I followed it. The bird stayed close to me, leading me to the northern most edge of the park. Then it called a warning and led me back to where Mom was parked to pick me up. I asked how long she had been waiting, and she said “Not long.” Thus the bird knew she was there!

A year later, I went back to the oak where I’d met the blue jay. A robin sang, so I asked it if the jay were still around, please tell the jay I said hello? A few minutes later, the jay appeared! This time, he led me south and showed me an area of hidden construction. I was sorry I couldn’t stop them from destroying jay’s territory. Again, it called a warning, and led me back to the pick up point, just as Mom was driving up! For me, blue jays are guides.

Most of these experiences happened before I had a bird as a pet. I’ve learned a lot about and from birds, and I care deeply for them.

One that hurt was seeing a sparrow with a blue sucker stuck to its beak. It couldn’t close its beak or get food. I had water with me, and I offered to help, but the bird flew away.

When I first moved to New Mexico, I saw a pigeon lying on the ground, panting. I didn’t have water, so I went to the nearest store and requested some. They gave me a bowl of it and watched a moment while I dripped water from my finger into its beak until it felt well enough to mosey on its way.

These memories came up in the middle of the night, night before last, when I was trying to remember where and when I’d seen the monument to a local Native of Indiana (Mom was impressed to silence). I think it was when I “won” a sweepstakes offering access to a condo in a small town near the small amusement park which had crows (Heckle and Jeckle again? Huginn and Muninn?) announcing “There’s more than corn in Indiana.”

10 Likes

I was always afraid of birds growing up. 2YRS ago I bought a home and moved in to the woods. Since then I no longer have this fear. Not sure why? And birds seem to be drawn to me now. I have a feeder out and made them a lil bird bath. As I sit on my porch right now, there are 2 robins sitting rather close to me, on the posts.

10 Likes

Perhaps you now see yourself as bigger than the birds, now? When we are young, everything seems bigger, louder, more scary.

I was terrified of a dog’s bark because it hurt my ears. Dogs were so big, they could knock me over. Now, I have a better idea of what dogs may be saying. I’m not so scared anymore, even though they can still knock me over.

Robins have really poor eyesight, but they can hear really well. They can’t see you, but they know you are there because of the sounds you make, even if only tapping on a tablet keyboard. They’re only after the worms in your yard.

Most birds are attracted to people. They simply prefer people who sit quiet and still. The slower you move, the nearer they will allow you to get. A feeder and bath certainly help. Birds like music, especially played low; but I’ve even seen birds respond to an outdoor concert, where even bugs will move to the rhythm. If you want to try a conversation with a bird, start low and just tell them about your day. Request they answer questions by making a sound for yes and staying silent for no. Grackles, especially, will tell you everything they know, if you just listen… and birds will listen to you in return.

10 Likes

May I put some insight here? Zeus is linked to the eagle and not the swan.

zeus

image from a vase

state-hermitage-museum
1st Century A.D. Roman copy of Greek original statue of Zeus, Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace

For the image that is uploaded, the painting is inspired by the myth of Leda and Zeus. In this case, the myth says that Zeus asked Aphrodite for help in order to approach Leda, and Aphrodite transformed him into a swan, and herself into an eagle and started to chase him. Leda saw the swan/Zeus and took pity of him. And after their “date” Leda gave birth to two eggs. From one egg came Helen of troy and Polydefkis (children of Zeus) and from the other one Kastor and Clytemnestra (children of Tyndareus - her husband)

Yeah, I know I am fun at parties :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

10 Likes

Here’s a tale of Seagulls. I love seagulls, but my mother in law hates them. Here’s why?

She was off on holiday with my father-in-law at the seaside, and I get this strange text. “Tracy Tracy I’ve been mugged”. I call her immediately only to find out, that my mum in law had just bought a whopper fish n chips, was walking back from the chippy, and two seagulls swooped on her, and knocked her over, whilst a third flew off with the dinner. After I confirmed she was alright, we both fell into fits of laughter. “Guess nature has mobsters too”, was her remark. :partying_face::rofl:

11 Likes

11 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: everyone wants fish n chips

8 Likes