Growing your Herb cabinet

Face it, we witches love our herbs, but they can be expensive, especially starting out. We use herbs for anything from incense, poultices, spells, skin products etc.

I am on a very limited budget so I have had to be frugal in building my apothecary cabinet of herbs. If you can spend $5-10 a month, you can grow it quickly besides getting wildcrafted items. Look in your yard, dandelions, wash them off and dry them out…blackberries…dry the leaves, gather pine needles, fir needles, nettles, rose petals, all kinds of things grow in your yard or the forest, gather gather gather.

I also use an ebay store where I have found I get a huge quantity for the prices…it doesn’t seem like it, but its more than enough to do several spells, make incense, etc. https://www.ebay.com/str/Willow-Witchs-Pagan-Supplies?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Bottles-thrift sotres garage sales, make sure they have sealable lids.

I first wash mine in a solution of bleach water, no matter how clean they look, then wash with soap and water and rinse. Let air dry then I smudge them inside and out, making them ready for herbs.

My labels are stick on printer labels (Dollar Tree) that I stain with tea let dry and put the names on and then affix with modge podge.

It takes time, but you can end up with a huge selection of herbs.

5 Likes

Awesome post!! Thanks for these tips @roxanne!! :herb:

“gather gather gather” I love that! The best ingredients are FREE! But that store has good prices too, I am thinking some oils from them!

3 Likes

I have a shelf in my room that is just for herbs then I have others in my witchy box in my closet. It also contains the overflow of some. I save the jars from my spice cabinet in the kitchen now instead of buying more jars. When I am made of money I will start buying more intriguing jars unless I find them at a thrift or yard sale. Michael’s had some fun ones on sale when I bought them.

Whenever I get flowers or they bloom in my yard, when the petals start to fall I collect them and put them into a jar and find it home in my room. I love collecting things like this. I am also the queen of substitutions (Rosemary is my best friend) until I can find the actual herb that I am looking for.

1 Like

You’ve got so many great ideas for staying witchy on a budget- it’s awesome to be a thrifty witch! :blush::+1: No need to break the bank for your craft, with some creativity it’s possible to find everything you need for free or on the cheap :money_with_wings: :raised_hands: Nice, Krissie!

1 Like

The shelves in my room were made by my sons in Wood Shop, I just stained them a darker color. I have to be thrifty since we are on 1 income and I can’t work :rofl: I will make it work :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like