Elemental Association(s): Air :wind_face:, Water :ocean:
Deity Association(s): Ymir

Herbal Association(s): Lily of the Valley :herb:
Tree Association(s): Ash/Yew
Astrological Association(s): Aquarius :aquarius:
Month/Days: October 28 – November 13

Chakras: Crown, Heart, Root
Tarot Card(s): Death, The Tower, 8 of Cups :cup_tarot:

Magickal Uses: Hagalaz :haglaz: is a powerful rune for meditation. Sit with this rune to understand that no matter how bad you have it, you could always have it worse. No matter the number of crops that you lost, you could always lose more. Chant this rune as you meditate to help find optimism in the direst of situations.

Protection, Luck, quick transformations, success in navigating difficult situations, break unhealthy patterns.

Overall Meanings/Keyword(s): Hail, Dark Feminine, Destruction, Transformation, Past Lives, Healing, Potential, Disruption, Change, Delay

Seeds of icy carnage rain down, planting points of clarity & choice. The shattered ground on which you stand cannot stay frozen in its brokenness: sprouts of life will emerge once the schism in your heart - & soul – have shifted, bearing a refreshed path.

Mighty Hella, lady of Hel, cradle me in your dark womb of rebirth. Breathe cool air into my hour of incendiary transformation. I cannel Urd, Norn of the past, to alchemize my history, honoring & releasing what was, in the name of sewing my newly-fertile fields of inheritance.

Hail can fall from the sky any time of the year, not just in winter. Just as hail can appear suddenly in a clear sky, this rune portends a very sudden change in your circumstances. This isn’t always a pleasant change either, but one that you will have to bear until it’s over.

We cannot always control our circumstances. Hagalaz signifies these forces of chaos that cannot be controlled. You cannot control or “fix” this interference; resistance is futile. Know that your course is being corrected for reasons beyond your understanding. You may be being forced into taking a new approach, which will become clear with patience & perseverance.

Brightstave/Upright: A change or transformation of your life situation. Perhaps crisis or trauma in the offing. The source of this impetus probably will come from beyond your present consciousness. :warning: Be prepared for crisis. This rune indicates self-ordering & inner harmony based on mythic models. (This is the only preparation possible) Seek to develop pure, crystalline ideals or principles. If change is undertaken from the impetus of crisis, a good outcome can be expected. A reshaping of your present situation is modeled on higher forms or principles (archetypes) is indicated. This rune may indicate a mystic, magician, or priest.

Edit Merkstave/Reversed is for those that happen to read all runes with a Merkstave/Reversed meaning which means that they are pulled sideways instead of upright. However, Hagalaz :haglaz: traditionally isn’t read reversed

Merkstave/Reversed: Crisis leading to the destruction of your vital powers & sources of well-being is indicated. There is a lack of preparation. Change for the worse. Personal stagnation is an invitation to catastrophe. Blockage of the “hail” will result in total stagnation & lack of change in life. At first, this may seem beneficial, but crisis must be controlled, not avoided entirely.

Meditation Hagalaz :haglaz: Meditation - Magin Rose

Sources:

• Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

• Kristina, Jillian. “Wild Runes Deck - Tamed Wild.” Nashville Metropolitan Area, Nashville, 2020. Wild Runes Deck – Tamed Wild

• Simonds, Josh. The Beginner’s Guide to Runes: Divination and Magic with the Elder Futhark Runes . Rockridge Press, 2020.

• Thorsson, Edred. Big Book of Runes and Rune Magic: A Complete Guide to Interpreting Runes, Rune Lore, and the Art of Runecasting . Red Wheel/Weiser, 2018.

9 Likes

A light in the dark- what a powerful rune! I think Hagalaz would be a good rune to bring with you or keep nearby when embarking on shadow work :black_heart:

I love these rune posts, Siofra, thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

You are very welcome. I think it would be great for some shadow work to have with you or meditate with. I also drew that rune yesterday when this happened:

Shadow Work, Hagalaz, The Morrigan…

I also talked to someone today about working through some issues before I accept help from her. There’s a reason I stopped talking to her for the better part of 20 years. I approached her today wanting to talk about things & she agreed. I feel like it’s the light of vitality that I needed to keep progressing.

3 Likes