Hel(a)'s Rules

Hel(a)'s Rules to Live By

#1. Life. Live as if I could take you tomorrow. What would your priorities be if you weren’t going to live out the year? Live that way at least part of every year.

#2: Happiness. For a human being to be happy every day is not the proper state of affairs. Despair and pain are also sacred states, or you don’t properly appreciate happiness. Whining and malcontentment, however, are never sacred.

#3: Waste. As in, Don’t. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. To throw something away because it is ugly, or imperfect is waste. You, too, will be ugly someday, and perhaps someone who cannot afford the best would be grateful for the imperfect. Give away and recycle everything you can. Throw away only what would be rejected even by the desperate.

#4: Power. To have is riches; to be able to do without is Power.

#5: Desires. Anything that you both strongly desire and yet ambivalently resent, you are better off giving up entirely. Make yourself contentedly at home with the fact that you will never have it. Once you have done that, you will be able to have a clean relationship with it, and you might have a small chance of it coming as a gift unlooked-for.

#6: Needs. Humbly accept your needs and do what you must in order to fulfill them. Be willing to part with your desires, if necessary. Hold no illusions about which are which.

#7: Illusions. They are never kind. They are never a good thing. The sooner that they are ripped, bleeding from your soul, the better. You never need them to get by. You only think you do.

#8: Possessions. In the end, you own nothing. No exceptions. And this is not necessarily a bad thing. See Rule #4.

#9: Healing. It hurts. That’s how you know it’s working. Pain means that you’re still alive.

#10: Compassion. It is not the same thing as empathy. It has nothing to do with your emotions. In fact, when you are doing it properly, you will be putting them entirely aside.

#11: Judging. You will be judged not by how you behave towards those you love and respect, but by how you behave towards those you hate and hold in contempt.

#12: Eternity: All is impermanence. Nothing lasts forever. No exceptions. Fortunately, this applies to bad things as well.

#13: Rebirth: Nothing lasts forever, but things and people tend to recur if you wait long enough. The trick is recognizing them on the next pass.

11 Likes

I don’t currently work with Hel, but I found myself nodding along while reading this- this is such a great list of rules to live to by! Each of the points are very powerful, but #4 really stood out to me in particular:

These are really great, Amaris- may I ask if you wrote them based on your work with the Goddess, or if they are a special scripture/document followed by those who work with Her?

Either way, I really enjoyed reading them. Thank you very much for sharing! :pray::heart:

7 Likes

Huh. These are interesting and made me think. Thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

I think these are all really good rules to live by for anyone, even if you aren’t a follower or devotee to Hel. I especially like this one.

How one treats the people they don’t get along with says a lot about that person. :clap: Love this one!

These are all really great. Did you write them all yourself?

7 Likes

@BryWisteria and @MeganB Thank you! These rules are a “scripture” followed by those that work with her. There is a great website that is an online shrine to Hel. This site is a cumulation of information from devotees of Hel. There are lists of rituals as well as offerings she prefers. They have the rules posted here.

7 Likes

Ahh okay, that makes a lot of sense! I’ll have to look at it a bit more then :blush: I don’t follow Hel but I think it’s a good idea to have some sort of structure and “rules”, per se, for working with or being devoted to a deity :blush:

7 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing the site, Amaris- I took a look and I’m really impressed with the online shrine! :star_struck: I know not everyone is a fan of combining technology and magick, but I personally really like the idea of having a digital shrine where followers can gather and offer their gratitude, praise, and requests to a deity- I think it’s really neat! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks again for sharing! Blessed be :pray::sparkles:

7 Likes

I agree! When I came across these, many were already things that she has shared with me so it was easy to incorporate the others into my life. I feel her main desire for her followers is to truly live life. Don’t waste your time, energy, and resources on things that you can’t take with you when you can focus on memories and feelings instead.

I love this site. I refer to it often and have even started leaving prayers to her there as well.

6 Likes

You are absolutely right with that one there! I feel like those are good rules to live by for anyone. I’m glad that she had already set those rules up for you before you saw them. That’s a good vetting strategy! I mean, not that you need it, of course! :blush:

And honestly, this is the philosophy I have with my daughter. It’s one of the reasons that we don’t focus so much on gifts and stuff for her birthday. We don’t like birthday parties and we prefer to take a trip somewhere she would enjoy to make memories rather than collect things she doesn’t need.

6 Likes