Herb Garden....what to plant

Now that it has warmed up a bit I’m planning my garden.

What herbs do you plant that are useful for spells and cooking?

Where do you get your seeds or plants?

What should I add? I normally plant or over winter:

Chives
Oregano
sage
lavender
Thyme
Rosemary
Basil
Lemongrass

Currently growing from seed
nasturtium
Chamomile
Passion flower

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve got a great garden started! Maybe some parsley? You’ve already got sage, rosemary and thyme going there. LOL. Marjoram is a good herb to cook with that’s different. Just a couple of suggestions.

3 Likes

Spearmint is easy to grow and share when it starts growing too much! I have read that the leaves keep away mice and it has great health benefits. I’ve used that, bay leaf, mugwort and also marigold and rose in spells. Some other witchy/medicinal herbs I have purchased dried (for burning, mostly)- hyssop, calendula, yarrow, angelica, lemon balm, feverfew, vervain/verbena. I have some dried rue and there are rue spells but I believe it’s considered toxic (esp. for pregnant women) and some of these others are also toxic to cats and dogs so that is something to consider/research. I’m experimenting with them (burning only or tiny amount in a bath, not ingesting). but I think I could likely subsitute a safer and more available herb (like rosemary, right, it does it all LOL) and it would be just fine. I saw a starter herb kit by Valley Seed on Amazon that had a lot of the less common ones (hyssop, yarrow, angelica, etc.) in a set of 18 herbs.

5 Likes

thank you @mary25 excellent suggestions, hoping over to amazon now

5 Likes

Is garlic an herb?

3 Likes

Barbara,
I believe it is a herb, to guard against aggression.
Jeannie

3 Likes

Good, Then I am growing herbs, in the window, in an empty soda bottle.

4 Likes

Looks like you have a great garden planned already. My son and I have a little bit of everything to super greens and garlic, potatoes (yes, in the house lol), flowers. There’s slot more that I can’t remember bc I’m still waking up.

3 Likes

Garlic is a Spice but to late to plant, you plant in fall it’s a bulb like a tulip.

3 Likes

We just set up our greenhouse this morning & we have a lot going on in there. I have Thyme, Lavender, Basil for herbs… I’m sure I am forgetting at least 1 because we have a lot of the starter pots. I use them a lot or maybe lemon mint or different mints, dill is also a good one.

2 Likes

Well darn. I live in central Florida and we can grow almost year round. I also just potted 4 staghorn fern plugs. Little sweeties are perking right up. This morning I noticed roots on the giant garlic!

4 Likes