Herbs & spell jars

Baby witch here. Are dried herbs brought from the supermarket okay to use in spell jars or does everyone grow & dry there herbs? I’d love to start my herb garden one day but for now is it okay from the bag? :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

The herbs bought are fine!!! I think that’s how a lot of us started out!

11 Likes

@mikayla most of the ingredients in my apothecary cabinet are from grocery stores. more often than not it’s cheaper to buy them from a grocery store. As a suggestion though I would try to buy the ones that are marked organic because pesticides and preservatives can affect the potency of the properties and energies of the herbs. And an added bonus tip the organic ones usually come in glass jars that can be repurposed into the most awesome spell jars or recycled to store any herbs you forage for or purchased that came in a bag instead of a jar :grin:

10 Likes

There are items you can collect as well in nature. If you live near certain areas. Look and see what grows near you. Oceans, rivers, forests, meadows all have some items that can be used in spell jars. Just wanted to throw that in as well. I have lots of store bought herbs. I also got some things through a Craigslist ad asking to come and prune/ glean their herbs or fruit :grin:

11 Likes

Sure! They’re perfectly fine! You can smoosh them up with a mortar and pestle if you want to get the essential oils going, just like you would if you were using them in soup or something. There are even books out there on spells you can use from the supermarket. I got my lavender from Kroger’s. It’s all good.

8 Likes

I have store-bought & items found in nature either from myself finding them or a friend of mine. Of course, when I can I grow my own items. I live in a very seasonal area so I don’t have access to things year-round sometimes so I save what I think I may use in the future. I do live near the ocean so I have access to some things that others may not. In which case, I have no problem sending items to people should they need them for something.

8 Likes

Some things you can grow and it helps to grow the ones you use the most if you can. If you are concerned about pesticides, there are sites which will sell you various herbs. Etsy especially, but look around if there is some thing in particular you want to use. Etsy is sometimes significantly more expensive. I’m not cheap, but overpaying unnecessarily does not serve the Goddess.

7 Likes

There is nothing wrong with buying herbs from the store. But in my opinion, I think that using homegrown herbs in spells holds much more potency. Also if you grow your own herbs you know exactly how they were grown like if pesticides were used, how much fertilizer was used, or the kind of soil it was planted in ect.

7 Likes

Also as a thrifty witch/baby witch trick for things like rose hips, chamomile or peppermint you can cut open a tea bag (most stores sell chamomile and peppermint tea bags in the tea isles) and use the contents of the tea bags in place of the herbs in question. Most herbal teas have rosehips in them too so the other ingredients would just add their energies to the work

5 Likes

Hi Mikayla, Absolutely, people buy their spices and herbs online all the time. Which is good, cause I can’t grow weeds.
Great specialty shops but even Ebay or etsy is good. Good luck and welcome.

5 Likes