Homemade Cranberry Sauce (Better Than Store-Bought)

This cranberry sauce is pretty healthy already, but you can make it even better for the diabetics by using low sugar orange juice and agave syrup instead of honey. Not sure how that would affect the taste though, but it should work.

Homemade Cranberry Sauce (Better Than Store-Bought)

Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Servings: 8 servings
Yield: 2 1/4 cups

Ingredients:

4 cups (12oz package) fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup, or more as desired
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
orange zest, optional

Directions:

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the water, orange juice, and honey. Bring to a boil.

Add in the cranberries and give everything stir.

Bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes while stirring occasionally. The cranberries will burst (that’s what you want) and the sauce will start to thicken.

Turn the heat off and let it cool for 15 minutes. Then transfer it to a container and place in the fridge to chill and thicken up.

Nutrition:

Calories: 94kcal, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 2mg, Potassium: 85mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 21g, Vitamin A: 61IU, Vitamin C: 15mg, Calcium: 7mg, Iron: 1mg

4 Likes

Oooooooh honey is a great idea! This sounds much better than my standard jar of sugar-filled Ocean Spray! Look @Francisco yummy cranberries :joy:
Not that I have Thanksgiving dinner… I’ll be saving this for xmas dinner because… England :woman_shrugging:t3: But still, YAY thanks for sharing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Kasie!! :grin:

It may be an acquired taste but I’ve been to 2 or 3 thanksgiving dinners so far and I can’t get used to cranberries!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I know I’m not the only one, look what google says!!

:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Hey, it’ll be just as good for Christmas. It’s never too late to start thinking about Christmas. Too early, yes, but it’s the right time of year.

To tell the truth @Francisco, I’m not a fan of cranberries either. I like to cook them, they pop so nicely in the heat, but eating them? Not for me. LOL.

3 Likes

OR there is this 21 and older version …
Put into food processor:
One seedless orange. Washed and rough cut -skin and all. ( Sometimes I like blood oranges for this if you can find them
Wash 1 package fresh cranberries
1/2C Grand Marnier
1/2C Sugar

Blend until mush…enjoy…

@Francisco After a bite or two… you won’t care so much about the taste… it just lends a cozy warm feeling to the family gathering…LOL! One of my favorites.

4 Likes

I guess I’m alone here- I LOVE cranberries :red_circle::yum: ! I always crave them when I’m abroad, they can be so hard to find :laughing: It could be because I grew up close to the Ocean Spray Headquarters in a state full of cranberry bogs, so I guess it makes sense! (I hate lobster though… shhh, don’t tell the other New Englanders :shushing_face::lobster: )

Loving the idea of adding some grand marnier, @Berta! Although I can’t say I’ve ever eaten raw cranberries before. Worth a try! :yum:

Thanks for the recipe, @Amethyst! Maple syrup is the way to go with cranberries- although honey does sound like a tasty alternative :honey_pot::drooling_face:

3 Likes

Wow. That sounds fancy. And with fresh cranberries, I’ve always cooked mine. That is so neat, thank you for sharing @berta!

3 Likes

You’re welcome hon! And Maple Syrup does sound like it would make sense since that’s from New England as well.

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to be able to make cranberry sauce. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Kassie I was thinking of making my own cranberry sauce. A lady at the store said she used fresh cranberries like you only she used jello. Interesting :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I think I am torn between the two!
Thanks for the recipe!! Looks so yummy :yum:
Cran is good for the urinary track too.
Blessed be
Happy Thanksgiving :maple_leaf:
Jeannie

2 Likes

You’re welcome sweetie!

I don’t think you need jello, especially since cranberries thicken naturally. Then again the jello might give it that gelatinous plop like it would out of a can. You’ll have to make both and do a taste test! LOL.

Blessed Be!

3 Likes

I think I am going to try to make it before Christmas/Yule so I can have it then for dinner!

3 Likes

Good luck making it!

2 Likes

Krissie,
I’ll think that’s a great idea and people would get a kick out of homemade cranberry sauce!
That’s Krissie you better watch out she’s a witch with the best cooking in town! Hahah
WANTED best homemade cranberry sauce!! :tipping_hand_woman:
Blessed be
Jeannie

3 Likes

Thank you @Jeannie1 :laughing: I am a pretty good cook! :wink:

3 Likes