How long do you keep an offering?

I have a question in regards to offerings. When you make a offering to a Deity, how long do you keep that offering on the altar? Especially a perishable one. I have read several things as far as making offerings but not one of those readings said how long the offerings need to stay for.

10 Likes

I usually leave my offerings on my altar overnight and dispose of them in the morning. But if it’s an esbat or sabbat, I’ll leave them there for three days.
If you’re leaving a perishable offering, milk for example, I would probably leave it out for only an hour, or before it gets warm.

13 Likes

I’m with @Kasandra I only leave my offerings out over night.

10 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice! I just wanted to make sure when I do offer offerings that they’re there for the timeframe that would be respectful.

7 Likes

Thank you for the guidance! I really appreciate it :grin:

6 Likes

In my practice, a general rule of thumb is overnight and I try not to let anything spoil on the altar. However, my main piece of advice would be to ask the deity or spirit you’re giving the offering to. Some deities prefer when their offerings spoil. Others only want them when they’re fresh. And then some deities really don’t care :woman_shrugging:t3:

9 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice! all these answers have been extremely helpful and I truly appreciate everyone of you :heartpulse::heartpulse:

4 Likes

You’re very welcome :partying_face:

4 Likes