How to practice when away from home?

Hi all, so as a few of you know i am at placement and things are pretty boring and laid back. It is already sufficiently staffed here so all i do is sit around to do my own thing. So my question is, what can i do in term of my practice while i am here? Obviously i will not disturb others and do it in my own time, but i am feeling so disconnected with the lack of time i have for my craft.

Also i find it hard to concentrate any other place than at my altar or directly under the sun or moon which are all unavailable here inside the place i am at.

Do you think bring a tarot deck, listening to audio meditations with headphones, wearing the daily crystal and reading my witchy books is a good idea? Obviously things like lighting candles and doing spells is not appropriate here but the smaller things can be considered…

Any other suggestions for your fellow busy witch? :blush: :blush:

*Note: Online browsing is already my main hobby here lol and i have take some great strength not to buy any more products that i can live without. :woman_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I think all of your ideas are great ones! Headphones and some meditations would be amazing. You could even find some that match with the properties of your chosen crystals. Breath work might be interesting too!

8 Likes

You could create a mini altar without any candles. I do this for when I travel. I use a crystal out two for Earth, a few sparrow feathers for air, cinnamon sticks for fire (you can also use dried chili peppers or crushed red pepper), and a small sea shell for water. All this fits inside a smallish bag. I also have two rocks I found in a trip that called to me that I drew the triple goddess and horned god symbols on. I can easily keep it inside my suitcase/purse and take it out when I feel called to.

Otherwise, your ideas are about on par with what I would do. Do you have access to a nature trail that you could go walk out a park that you could spend some time outside while reading? That may help you feel a little more connected.

8 Likes

I think your ideas are great. Theres some great meditations on YouTube

6 Likes

Thank you this is a lovely idea… As this is only placement otherwise know as work experience, i do not want the staff reporting me for something so i maybe a little iffy about it and lunch breaks are just long enough for food and toilet breaks… Otherwise i have been planning to make a mini travel altar and may plan one instead for now. Thanks for the idea :blush:

6 Likes

I actually put crystals in my bra when i go out in public, it helps cut down on all of the noise. And/or carry a mojo bag if i have pockets.

7 Likes

Yes i should do this again but i stopped as i kept dropping them when i changed twice a day for gym lol

5 Likes

I have little pouches that have drawstrings. I put my crystals in those & tie the strings to my bra strap or belt loops to carry them with me. I have attached them to my purse to hang inside or my keys if I am walking somewhere. If I just put the actual stones, then unless there is a pocket type for the pad to come in & out of the bra, I lose them too easily.

5 Likes

You’ve got some awesome ideas of your own and some great suggestions from the coven on top of that! :blush: I would put another vote for meditation- it can be done anywhere at anytime, requires no items to prepare, and won’t raise too many eyebrows if people come across you while you’re doing it :person_in_lotus_position:

There’s also spending time in your Inner Temple- if you haven’t done the practice before, you can use that time to build up and design your inner sacred space. It’s a fun and personal project that you can do :sparkles:

Good luck- I hope you can find some great ways to spend the time and connect with your practice, @TheMuslimWitch ! :heart:

6 Likes

@TheMuslimWitch
Good day Sweetness,
I carry a pocket altar with me. An empty Altoid tin, filled with altar tools, even if it’s only a very small cut out pic, A birthday candle, matches. I use incense matches, kills 2 birds with one stone, incense & match. A small vial with whatever you choose. McDonald’s has really small salt packets, perfect for making holy water and any other needs. A tiny wand, a tiny knife. There’s no end to what you can put in the {now decorated} tin. Your suggestions sound great too. How about a smokeless candle? Charms will also work for your tin. Like from a charm bracelet.
Many Blessings and lots of love
Garnet

7 Likes

The smokeless candles aka electric candles is a great idea! Now all i need to do is find the time to gather the right supplies…

6 Likes

Thank you hopefully i can find a good way to practice as well which suits my situation :blush:

6 Likes

I couldn’t help myself and realised that I can make my own travel/pocket altar from a lot of small things I have at home such as a small point quartz crystal as a wand, white spell candles, feather, shell, cone incense, a sparse bottle to put moon water for cleansing, moon water, small wooden moon box, small herbs and crystals. The only spare items I didn’t have was a small tarot deck, a spare altar cloth and an athame so I purchased a nice foldable pocket knife for the athame, brought a pentacle altar cloth and printed out some mini tarot cards and I will later use clear tape to make sure they last longer>>>>>

7 Likes

WAY CUTE!
i LOVE THEM

6 Likes

Thank you @Garnet ! aren’t they just cute… can’t believe they were just $2 for the download off Etsy. Great quality too! :heartpulse:

6 Likes

This is a wonderful question @TheMuslimWitch! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I found myself in a similar position of not being able to openly practice while on vacation with family. My husband knows I’m a witch but my adult child and my in laws do not and I kinda want to keep it that way. lol I think that’s the wonderful thing about our individual paths and practices is that we can adapt them to suit our needs, situations and environments. I wasn’t able to do the spellwork I had hoped to do while on vacation but I managed to make moon water and charge my crystals and meditated when I could as long as I could or until I was too distracted to stay focused. All of your ideas are wonderful! It shows that despite your busy schedule your dedication is very important to you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

The squeal I let out when I saw these! :exploding_head: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Teenie Tiny Tarot! Oh my goodness! :blush:

Those are great quality and that’s an awesome deal too! I’m not sure if sharing links is permitted openly but if it is and you recall the shop you purchased from would you mind sharing?
I would love to get these!

6 Likes

I concur. Those are super cute. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Oh my Goddess those are super cute

4 Likes

sure it was Komorebiplanners and the description was: Printable tarot cards deck, tarot stickers, Rider Waite mini tarot deck, all 78 cards with major and minor arcana, journal stickers, . The cost was $2.54 AU to be exact. They are instant downloads so you can print them straight away. :blush:

6 Likes