How to wire gems

I want to make a wand and I need to wire an amethyst point onto the end of a piece of hawthorn.

Does anyone know of a resource, be it a book or a video, that explains how to wire gems onto wood?

17 Likes

I’d look on YouTube

12 Likes

I’ve never wire-wrapped a crystal on a wand, but I’m sure there is someone here who can help you :blush: @Devenne is right about YouTube, though. There are a lot of videos there!

10 Likes

I’ve tried this before. It is tricky.

Something that may help? Wrap a “cradle” for the gem, first. Separately. Make sure the gem won’t fall out, but still looks the way you intend. Then wire it to the wood. The wire on the cradle will help hold the gem to the wood. Otherwise, it slips around like a flipping fish, and it’s harder to make it look nice.

It looks like your crystal is going to be slippery, anyway, just because of the tapering. Will the wire cling to the whitish grit?

Another possibility to add stability may be to drill a small hole in the wood to help anchor the wire or make two small cuts in the sides just big enough for the wire to hold the wood. You can wrap wire around the holes or slits to hide them, later.

It looks like the project will be beautiful when you finish it. Please keep us updated?

10 Likes

Thanks georgia for the tips!
The wood does have a knob on one side at the end so I think with a notch cut opposite it, that would help keep the gem from sliding off.
The gem has a concave side to hug the wood.
The cradle is the puzzling part. I thought I saw an article in a book about crystals at archive.org but I can’t find it now. Maybe the gods want me to finish my other projects first. Too many irons in the fire!
I will keep you updated.
Thanks again. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I found this. May help.

And here’s how to wire crystals

9 Likes

Thanks! I have a few ideas to work with now. I have not worked with polymer clay but I think I could use my leather working skills to cover the wire wrapping with leather lace braiding.

9 Likes

My wand also seems to use that fancy metal clay that @Artemisia uses in her crafts. It’s really nice. :black_heart:

6 Likes

I’ve never made a wand, might be fun to do this :partying_face:

5 Likes

There have already been some great ideas and suggestions shared already! I know @Jeannie1 was working on a similar craft a while back, so if you’re still browsing for inspiration, you might find some here in this discussion - check the replies! :grinning:

Blessed be and happy crafting! :gem: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Thanks! I searched for crystal wiring, and should have tried crystal wrapping.

6 Likes

The forum is like a modern day Library of Alexandria, with so much buried in the sands of time! Many resources in the archives can be hard to locate, so I’m always happy to lend a hand with uncovering content :handshake: :blush: :heart:

Wishing you all the best with your crafting, @bj1 - have fun with it (and please keep us updated- I’d love to hear how it goes!) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Blessed be!

5 Likes

Hawthorn and Amethyst Wand
I made a wand with all natural materials: hawthorn branch, amethyst crystal point, white leather lace, copper wire, and wooden beads.

Hawthorn and amethyst both have the powers of creativity, growth, negativity, peace, protection, and purification.
The copper helps with goals, healing, and strength.
The white leather lace will warn of danger, and manifest moon magic.
The dark brown bead is for stabilty.
The red bead is for action, courage, and determination.

Down one side are the runes: Othala for ancestral lands, Fehu for abundance, Kauna for enlightenment, and Thruisaz for willpower.

On the other side I put 4 symbols from rock carvings of my Sami ancestors: the Moon, the Sun, the Bear, and the Reindeer.
The bear stands for power, and awakening potential.
The reindeer symbolizes abundance, freedom, hardiness, insight, and knowledge.
For the Sami, a white reindeer was considered very magical and would bring wealth, luck, and happiness if you could catch one.

Thank you to everyone who offered tips in the forum and online. I found just what I needed to get the crystal to stick on the end with the wire wrapping technique in the Merlin-Realm video.

7 Likes

Bravo, @bj1 - mission success!!! :partying_face:

Congrats on completing your wand, it is a really gorgeous one. Each piece has been carefully chosen and brought together to craft a truly marvelous magickal tool.

May your beautiful handcrafted wand serve you well! :magic_wand: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

What a beautiful wand @bj1 :heart_eyes: It is wonderful in so many ways, not just with how it looks. The meanings behind everything you’ve included on your wand make it extra special :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes