🪙 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Metal Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Power of the Planets :ringer_planet:

After admiring the celestial bodies in the sky, we’re getting grounded. This week get ready for some extra shiny magick! :sparkles:

The theme for this week’s challenge is…

Metal Magick

:coin: :witch_cauldron: Metal Magick :wrench: :dagger:

It’s all about magickal metals - what metals are you currently using in your practice? From tools such as a cauldron, athame, bell, wire-wrapped wand or besom, or others, to spell ingredients or tokens like coins.

Metal is a common spell ingredient, and it has magickal properties of its own, depending on the type (or combination) of metals in use that can be drawn upon in your casting. There’s a mine full of possibilities when it comes to metal in magick!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is all about metals in magick - how you choose to take on this theme is up to you.

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Pictures by @roxanne, shared in Don’t know what to do with spiritual jewelry?

STEP 1 : Metal Magick :coin:

This challenge is all about using metal in magick - but as always, feel free to explore the theme in a way that aligns with you and your unique practice.

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

Please make sure you are logged into your Spells8 Account so you can view all of the resources shared!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Trusty Metal Tools :cauldron:

Take a look around your altar, sacred space, and magickal tools - you probably already have some trusty metal in your Craft! For your entry this week, consider working with a metal tool - or welcoming a new one into your practice.

The-Witches-Cauldron-Art-360x240
The Witches’ Cauldron: Magickal Purpose and Uses

What-are-Witch-Bells-for-360x240
Witches’ Bless: Origins, Purpose, and Uses

Athame-Ritual-Dagger-1-360x240
Athame: Do’s and Dont’s of Your Ritual Knife

Tools-of-a-Kitchen-Witch-360x240
Tools of a Kitchen Witch: Casting in the Kitchen

Related discussions and resources:

Metal Meanings in Magick :open_book:

If you’re familiar with the theory of magickal correspondences (in alignment with As Above, So Below and interconnectivity), you’ll know that many witches uses magickal associations to help boost and direct their spellwork. Like all magickal tools and ingredients, metals also have their unique correspondences. For your entry this week, pick a metal or metal color and explore its magickal meanings, uses, and associations.

Golden-Candle-Spiritual-Meanings-360x240
Gold in Magick: Success, Prosperity, and More

Related discussions and recourses:

Coin & Money Magick :coin:

From modern coins to valuable metals such as silver, gold, and platinum, metal can be used in magick to attract more of the same - inviting the energies of abundance, wealth, and prosperity among others.

Money-Spells-that-Work-360x240
Money Spell Collection

Powerful-Money-Spell-with-Candle-and-Cinnamon-360x240
Money Bags: A Spell with Coins and Cinnamon

Alchemy :hammer_and_pick:

Alchemy is a form of study that combines science with the spiritual. The goal or “magnum opus” of alchemists is usually related to the act of refining impurities - such as turning lead into gold. As such, the study of alchemy (which lead into modern science and chemistry) often involves the use of metals.

If alchemy and the combination of magick and science peaks your interest, consider exploring metals through the lens of alchemy for your entry this week.

Related discussions and resources:

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore magickal metals in another way, you are welcome to do so!

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Video by @Silverbear, shared in Magickal Metals

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, September 10 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-09-10T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Pictures by @phoenix_dawn, shared in Wire Wrapping Crystal Spoons for Altar

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Canva

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Silver and iron, copper and gold–
Strong and stable, hardy and old
On metal in magick, a witch can depend
To aid in the Craft from here to the end

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :coin: :sparkles:

20 Likes

Coins, I think I’ll write about coins, they’re used alot in offerings to different Nordic deities. Get my thinking cap on. :exploding_head::crazy_face:

17 Likes

Weekly Challenge - Metal Magick

The metal mercury is often mentioned as a correspondence for Virgo or the planet Mercury, but it is hazardous, so I looked for a substitute and found aluminum is an alternative.

Aluminum

Energy: Projective, Yang

Planet: Mercury

Zodiac: Aquarius

Element: Air

Powers: mental abilities, travel, image magic, connections, energy, power (air), skills, stimulation

Magical Uses:

Aluminum is a modern metal and so has no history of usage among early witches.

It is used as a substitute for the hazardous metal mercury.

Carry a small piece of aluminum to stimulate mental abilities or when traveling to distant lands.

Aluminum foil can be used in image magic.

Place a large sheet of foil on your altar.

Light candles suitable for your intention.

Shape the foil into an image to suit your intention.

Fuel your visualization with this image.

Send energy into and through it to manifest your need.

When finished, smooth out the foil. Douse it with water. Dry, and flatten it.

Repeat the spell every day, using the same foil, until you are successful.

To turn a metal into gold, save your aluminum and turn it into money by taking it to a recycling center. :laughing: :smiley:

Sources:

Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Correspondences, 2013, Sandra Kynes.

Cunningham’s encyclopedia of crystal, gem & metal magic, 1988, Scott Cunningham.

11 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Challenge Entry :cherry_blossom:
For this challenge, I have chosen Chinese feng shui coins.
chinese-feng-shui-coins_0_1200
(image source: The Minds Journal)

Chinese coins, with their unique square hole in the center and round shape, have deep roots in the Chinese culture and Feng Shui practices. These coins were originally used during the ancient Chinese dynasties as regular currency.

In Feng Shui, the round shape of the coins represents heaven, while the square hole symbolizes earth. This heaven-earth connection is believed to attract wealth luck from the cosmic universe.

The most common Chinese coins used in Feng Shui are the ones inscribed with the calligraphy of the Qing Dynasty emperors. These coins are tied with a red string or ribbon to activate their energy as the color red in Feng Shui signifies good luck.

Feng shui coins are believed to bring good fortune, wealth, and protection. They can be used in various ways, including:

• Hung at the front door: To attract wealth and good fortune into the home
  • Used near the desk: To help with career success
  • Put in the wallet: To keep money
  • Hanged in personal accessories: For luck and protection
  • Hanged in the car mirror: For safety
  • Taken along during travel: For safety
  • Used as a key chain or phone charm: To bring positive and lucky energies into the home and life
  • Used as a bookmark: To bring knowledge

In Feng Shui, the number of coins you use carries significant symbolism, directly affecting the type of luck you invite into your life.

• 1 Feng Shui coin meaning: Represents new beginnings and opportunities. It’s suitable to use when starting a new venture or phase of life.
  • 2 Feng Shui coins meaning: Symbolize balance and partnerships. Use them to enhance personal relationships or business partnerships.
  • 3 Feng Shui coins meaning: The most common arrangement, representing the harmony of heaven, earth, and humanity. It’s highly recommended for attracting wealth and prosperity.
  • 4 Feng Shui coins meaning: Generally avoided due to associations with death in Chinese culture. It’s not recommended to use four coins.
  • 5 Feng Shui coins meaning: Represents the five elements in Feng Shui, denoting balance and harmony. It’s suitable to use when you want to create a balanced energy in your space.
  • 6 Feng Shui coins meaning: Symbolize heavenly blessings and luck. Six coins are a good option if you wish to attract luck from heaven.
  • 7 Feng Shui coins meaning: Represents togetherness and the cycle of life. While not as common, it can be used to promote harmony and completeness.
  • 8 Feng Shui coins meaning: The number eight is considered the luckiest in Chinese culture and is strongly associated with wealth and prosperity. It’s highly recommended for attracting abundance.
  • 9 Feng Shui coins meaning Represents completion and fulfillment, often used to attract enduring luck and abundance. It’s a great choice if you wish to bring a project or phase of your life to a successful completion.
  • 10 Feng Shui coins meaning: Symbolizes completion of a cycle and is useful when wanting to start fresh or bring something to an end. You can use it when you’re embarking on a new chapter in your life.
  • 11 Feng Shui coins meaning: This number isn’t typically used in Feng Shui. Though it can be seen as a symbol of balance and equality, its use is not common and not explicitly recommended.
  • 12 Feng Shui coins meaning: Represents the cyclical nature of time and can be used to attract long-term prosperity and steady progress. It’s suitable to use if you’re focused on long-term goals and steady advancement.

When it comes to Feng Shui Chinese coins, not only the number but also the type of coins can make a significant difference. The term “Emperor Coins” refers to the coins used during the reigns of different emperors.

1. Five Emperor Coins (五帝錢 / 五帝幣): This set of coins represents the most powerful emperors in Chinese history and is considered to possess the strongest energy. They are often used for protection and wealth enhancement. The economy of the Qing dynasty was flourishing during the reigns of the 5 emperors, marking a period of strength and prosperity.
  2. Three Emperor Coins (三帝錢, 三帝钱): Coins of three prosperous emperors tied together are commonly used to stimulate wealth luck and invite prosperity.
  3. Four Emperor Coins (四帝錢, 四帝钱): This combination is less common and is typically custom-made. It may represent the four cardinal directions, and can be used for balance and stability.
  4. Six Emperor Coins (六帝錢, 六帝钱): It’s important to note that some dealers have been promoting “Six Emperor Coins” and “Ten Emperor Coins”, which include cash produced during the reign of the Daoguang Emperor and later when the Qing dynasty was entering its century of humiliation. For this reason, Feng Shui masters advise against using these coin sets. They are considered inauspicious due to the association with a period of dynastic decline.
  5. Seven Emperor Coins (七帝錢, 七帝钱): Seven is a highly spiritual number in many cultures. A configuration of seven emperor coins can be used to enhance spiritual awareness and personal growth.
  6. Eight Emperor Coins (八帝錢, 八帝钱): The number eight in Chinese sounds like ‘wealth’ and is considered very lucky. This configuration is great for attracting prosperity and abundance.
  7. Nine Emperor Coins (九帝錢, 九帝钱): Nine is the highest single-digit number and signifies completeness and fulfillment. This set can be used to achieve goals and attain overall life fulfillment.
  8. Ten Emperor Coins (十帝錢, 十帝钱): Though not traditional, ten emperor coins might symbolize completion and an abundance of wealth and prosperity. However, as mentioned above, Feng Shui masters generally advise against using these coin sets due to their historical context.

The configuration you choose depends on your individual goals and the area of your life you wish to enhance. Always trust your intuition and choose the coins that resonate best with you.

https://godofwealth.co/powerful-feng-shui-chinese-coins/

14 Likes

Challenge Entry

This one took some thinking, I wanted to do something but so far the only thing I can think of is how I use it within my practice… Mostly through items I have.

• Cauldron :witch_cauldron: (1) - Cast Iron
  • Cauldron :cauldron: (2) - :thinking: I’m not sure of the exact metal
  • 3 Candle Holders :white_candle: - Cast Iron
  • Pendulum (1) - Copper with Clear Quartz
  • Pendulum :pendulum: (2) - Brass
  • Crystal Wand :magic_wand: - Silver Wrapping
  • Spoon (1) - Silver
  • Spoon :spoon: (2) - Brass
  • Offering to Brighid :brigid_cross: - Coins :coin: (Pennies mostly)
  • Bell :bell: - Silver

Suddenly, I’m drawing a blank :laughing: I use metal, but the type of metal differs for different aspects, for whom the item is for, or what I’m doing at the time. I have several wire-wrapped crystal necklaces. That are either silver, copper, or gold. Even my jewelry is a mix of silver, copper, brass, and gold, but it depends on what I’m doing, how I’m feeling, if I’m doing meditation :woman_in_lotus_position: or prayer, reaching out to my loved :heartpulse: ones, or sensing energy. (I hope that makes sense)

11 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Part 2 of My Challenge Entry :cherry_blossom:
I have created a spell using the above information I had researched on the Chinese feng shui coins~! This spell is free for everyone to use :pink_heart:

Nhaama’s Good Fortune Spell Bag
The intention of this spell bag is to draw in wealth and good fortune for its owner. When you are in need of an extra boost of luck whether it be for monetary luck, material luck, or luck in general, try this fortune spell bag.

You Will Need:
1 green drawstring pouch of any material
1 Chinese feng shui coin tied by a red ribbon
2 gold or green candles
Incense (vanilla, cinnamon, basil, or patchouli)
A pen and a piece of paper or parchment
1 each of the following gemstones: citrine, green jade, amethyst, peridot, garnet, tiger’s eye, green aventurine, pyrite, labradorite, carnelian

Cleanse your sacred space before starting this spell. Light your candles and incense. Say the following chant aloud or in your mind:

With this lucky golden coin,
I attract good fortune and wealth.
I shall be blessed with what my heart wishes,
whether it be money, success, or perfect health.

Take your pen and paper and write down your prosperity wishes. Fold the paper towards you and then wrap your feng shui coin around it using the red ribbon. Run the wish paper through the incense smoke a few times, then add it to your green bag. Do the same for the gemstones, thinking of your wishes as you run them through the smoke, and add them to the bag as well. End the spell by saying the following:

With harm to none, and in perfect love,
this spell is cast, this spell is done.
So mote it be!

Close the bag and let it rest on your altar or on your bedside table overnight, then bring it with you in your purse or pocket whenever you are out and about, to attract prosperity and wealth to you.

10 Likes

This is my entry

I use keys with my magic with Hecate I hold it as I summon her and I need to clean it now lol time to get the oil out and wipe it

11 Likes

Challenge Entry.

I use graveyards and graveyard dirt occasionally. When going into the graveyard, I always ask the gatekeeper spirits for permission to enter and tell them what I am there for and leave 3 copper Pennie’s at the gate for them. When getting dirt, I always ask the spirit of the grave for permission to take a handful of dirt and also leave them 3 copper Pennie’s as a thank you.

9 Likes

I spent over a week cleaning everything in my space, including the keys, necklaces, and other items. My husband helped me with the jewelry and altar items, and I cleaned the crystals and stones. He has cloths, cleaners, oils, and things to clean different metals. So he either showed me how to use them or did it with me.

9 Likes

challenge entry
Decided to use the horse shoe spread. . Loosely connecting to metal magic through this and explored seeking guidance in how to deal with work and this is what i got

As i used lenormand i realised after that id need an extra card as lenormand xards arent read alone. And i labeled best i could. I couldnt move the cards so neat next to each other so did my best

9 Likes

I had a dream last night about using a coin in a spell, so I’m going to write it out here and use it for my challenge entry :joy:

I don’t remember why the spell was needed, but something needed to grow and change. I had instructed the person in my dream to take a silver coin under the light of the Full Moon and breathe on it, infusing the coin with their intentions. Then, I instructed them to bury the coin in their garden and then plant their seeds. As the seeds in their garden grew and blossomed into the plants they should be, so too would their intentions grow and bloom.

Silver in witchcraft is associated with the Full Moon. I also found a few more correspondences for silver when searching online.

Folklore Symbolism
Moon Associations Linked to lunar energy, feminine power, intuition, and dreams
Protective Charm Believed to ward off evil spirits and provide psychic protection
Magical Metal Associated with magic, divination, and spiritual connection
Wealth and Abundance Symbolizes material wealth, prosperity, and abundance

Silver: Folklore, Healing & Magickal Uses

I’ve never personally worked with silver, but I’ve always preferred silver over gold. It’s interesting that I intuitively knew in my dream that silver is related to prosperity and abundance, which I imagine most coins are due to the nature of money, but it’s interesting anyway :laughing:

8 Likes

Good dream. Are you planning on following your own advice? It’s a bit late in the year to plant much where you are, but maybe you can pot something inside.

I’m planning on getting Albus some fresh soil and growing some bird seed soon- now that the gnats have lived out their lives and the old pot has been cleaned. Albus has been asking for some good greens to eat. I can throw in a coin.

I’d do it on the new moon so prosperity and the plants can grow with with the waxing moon.

8 Likes

I wear a lot of silver, some gold, but usually some silver. I never liked gold as much as silver… Or copper. I have some copper earrings and things. Those get polished, too :laughing: OH! I have copper incense holders inside a cauldron or something for the ashes. There are different types to use, with several ways of burning incense in a cauldron or another way you would use them. Hold on, this may be easier with a picture of what I’m talking about :rofl:

I put them inside a cauldron, tealight, or votive candle holder.

9 Likes

Probably in the spring, yes. It’s definitely too late to plant much here lol even indoors, my animals wouldn’t let anything live unless I had it high enough for them to not reach it.

I’m taking it as a more metaphorical thing right now, more intuitive and spiritual than physical. It also comes at an interesting time because we just had the Virgo New Moon :new_moon: which also relates back to new beginnings and growth in Earthly matters :thinking: I’m definitely saving it for later!

Oh, I like this! It’s funny how we sometimes have a certain draw toward a specific type of metal. I’ve never been a gold type of person. Rose gold, sure, but never gold gold :laughing:

8 Likes

Oh! I love Rose Gold, but I don’t wear or like actual gold as much as silver or others. I wouldn’t say I like mixing metals too much when wearing jewelry. I know that I’m allergic to whatever makes up white gold, and I can’t wear it. I had white gold earrings, and I had to have gold backs and posts put on them. I try my best to keep it to silver. But when I buy items, I love to get Rose Gold, depending on what it is. :laughing; I think I have something in Rose Gold from my grandmother or great-grandmother.

9 Likes

Rose gold is literally pink gold so it’s my number #1 favorite metal~!

8 Likes

I have a certain kind of acid in my system which eats gold. Jewelry starts out looking nice, but quickly loses its luster or the electroplate gets eaten away and it doesn’t look nice anymore. It doesn’t affect me in any way, but it looks terrible. I end up wearing silver toned jewelry, unless that’s electroplated onto copper. I like the looks of tri color gold, but I’m scared of ruining it, so I stick to silver or nickel.

It is said Grandpa (Mom’s dad) couldn’t wear a wristwatch because the acid would drain the battery. He carried a wind up pocket watch to be safe.

Challenge Entry

Most of my amulets, talismans, and tokens are metal. I use necklace charms in different forms for these purposes because they are easy to get, come in many shapes and sizes, and I can easily wear them without looking like I made them when I was 7, just because I don’t have good dexterity in my hands anymore.

Please don’t get me wrong. Sometimes I want that rustic look. It feels like I was at camp having fun. That alone is a type of magick all its own. Other times, I like to have a little elegance and still wear my magic.

11 Likes

I love silver
So I had to try the spoon, since @phoenix_dawn
Was my inspiration thank you
I really like my spoon because it has a little courage to it somewhat like the broom you know how we just sweep away all the negativity well in the morning I know @MeganB has Some inspiration to my magic when she wakes up in the morning, I added to my ritual this little morning circle protection for my tea! :broom::tea: :lock_with_ink_pen::wink::wink::wink:

I added the crown on the top “I am priestess” and the three crystals for the triple goddess the maiden, mother Crone! Everything in three remember the the law of three! I added a little spiral going up and also the eye protection wording off negative energy!
The spell will be done inn a chant as well! I just need to be creative and write one for myself! I could also add in some affirmations for the day! That I need, I don’t know if you noticed, but I have two amethyst and in the middle I have a red stone, which is to root myself And so that way, I can be grounded and centered I really love my spoon because it just reminds me that I’m on the crooked path and that’s the path I’m on! Lol love the spoon It just fits so well

Jeannie

My beautiful wand made with cooper!
Jeannie

11 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge for Amethyst:

Hello all! This week I am sharing a picture of my silver pentacle. According to this article on Metal Magics at Learn Religions, says that:

“While gold is known as a symbol of power and dominance, silver is typically seen as representative of truth and trust. If you give someone a gift of silver jewelry, it’s a valuable thing indeed, far above the monetary aspects.”

My pentacle was gifted to my a couple of Christmases ago by a dear friend in Georgia who I met online. We’ve known each other for well over a decade and I wish I lived closer to her or could travel so I could see her.

Lunabee is a very smart person, and she’s one of the few people who openly ask me about what is Mabon or things like that when it comes up in my journal on Dreamwidth. She’s a college professor now, with two kids and doesn’t have as much time to write and when we first met but her writing is still amazing. I treasure her as one of my true friendships.

So when reading that silver given by a friend is worth more than anything, well I couldn’t help but think of my pendant. And that old Brownie song. You know, the one that goes:

“Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold.”

That’s the kind of metal magic I like!

13 Likes

You are a beacon of lite!
Friendship requires a special place in my heart and is valuable to me and is golden! I am happy you found friendship and love you deserve!

@MeganB
Round The Cauldron shared a gift of truth in a time wear my life needed some help with the mundane life to help me to be more magickal in areas of my life that needed some extra love in the morning ritual.
Morning :sunrise: Ritual to Feel the Magick

My infinite roots fam inspired me to dive a little deeper into the subconscious mind of Scorpio and so I am bringing in light as we are in the sun and in Scorpio for astrology, so I am harnessing that light in the darkness!
Jeannie

11 Likes