šŸž Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Practicing With Nature

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Metal Magick :coin:

After forging magick with metal, weā€™re going back to the source - itā€™s time to head outside. The world awaits! :earth_africa:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

Nature Magick

:evergreen_tree: :bouquet: Nature-Based Magick: Practicing with the Earth :national_park: :green_heart:

The Earth is both our home planet and an influential elemental in our lives. Nature, directly and indirectly, plays a huge role in our day-to-day lives. Itā€™s only natural that such a powerful force be represented and acknowledged in our Crafts as well!

From crafting with natural ingredients to herbal explorations, Earth elemental spellwork to nature deities and more, weā€™re heading into the deep woods this week :deciduous_tree: Itā€™s time to let out your wild side with some nature explorations!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is all about practicing with nature - how you choose to take on this theme is up to you.

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

Plant-Witch
Picture from Spells8: Plant Magick Guide

STEP 1 : Nature in the Craft :evergreen_tree:

This challenge is all about nature magick - but as always, feel free to explore the theme in a way that aligns with you and your unique practice.

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

Please make sure you are logged into your Spells8 Account so you can view all of the resources shared!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Earth Element :earth_element:

Earth-Magick-360x240
Earth Magick: Spiritual Growing and Elemental Grounding

Earth-Invocation-Pagan-Chant-360x240
Earth Elemental Invocation Chant

Green Witchcraft :green_heart:

Green-Witch-Course-Herbal-Witchcraft-360x240
The Green Witch: Herbal Witchcraft Course

Plant-Magic-Spells-and-Recipes-360x240
Plant Magick & Spells: A Simple Guide for Green Witches

Witch-Plants-Herbs-Every-Witch-Should-Know-360x240
Witch Plants: Herbs & Recipies Every Witch Should Know

Natural Crafting :wood:

Create-Consecrate-Magic-Wand-Wicca-360x240
How to Make and Consecrate Your Own Witchā€™s Wand

Uses-for-Old-Herbs-and-Spices
Creative Ways to Use Old Herbs & Spices

Witch-Crafts-Dried-Lavender-360x240
Witch Crafts with Dried Lavender

Deities and Spirits of the Earth :earth_africa:

Famous-Forest-Goddesses-360x240
11 Goddesses of the Forest, Wild Animals, and Nature

Gaia-Goddess-Worship-360x240
Gaia: Goddess Symbols, Correspondences, Myth & Offerings

Resting-in-the-Arms-of-Earth-Mother-art-360x240
Resting in the Arms of Earth Mother Meditation

Herbal Blends & Brews :witch_cauldron:

Tea-Spells-and-Herbal-Witchcraft-360x240
Magickal Herbal Tea Recipes: Ceremonies, Rituals, and Spells

Calming-Herbal-Bath-DIY-Recipe-360x240
Calming Herbal Bath

DIY-Herbal-Foot-Soak-360x240
Herbal Foot Soak Recipe

ā€¦ And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore nature in magick in another way, you are welcome to do so!

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Picture from Ghost Pipes: Herbal Folklore, Medicine, and Magick

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, September 17 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-09-17T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Spells8: Mother Earth Incense Recipe

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Spells8: Earth Magick

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Above, below, and all around
The trees, the air, the lakes, the ground
Sheā€™s with us to death, each step from birth,
Weā€™re nothing without our Mother Earth

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :national_park: :sparkles:

21 Likes

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Love the theme and itā€™s starting to feel like fall here (which is nice after a week of excessive heat warnings and real feel temps of 110+ every day of our vacation).

Iā€™ve got gardening tasks to do, plus I love runs/walks through the woods looking for seed pods, nuts, and berries!

Need to get out for my run right now, so weā€™ll see what I see and what sparks inspiration for this challenge :seedling: :herb: :butterfly: :feather: :acorn:

15 Likes

Same here - I woke up this morning to it being in the 40sF outside and I could see my breath when I took my dog out. I even had to turn on my furnace for the first time since last winter just to warm up the house for my daughter before she went to school :laughing:

14 Likes

I am so excited for this Challenge I wanted you to all know I am exploring a new way of life! Since nature has a way of helping our wellbeing and is beneficial to our exsistance. I decided to major in park and recreation so I just so happen to be taking a class in outdoor recreation. So this week I get to write a paper about how outdoor recreation is helping students who take a vantage of outdoor recreation. Outdoor recreation has benefits and is very valuable to our well-being It impacts are lively hood to restore ourselves back to sanity!

• Psychological Well-being
  • Spiritual Well-being
  • Physical well-being
  • Challenges Adventure
  • Adventure Activities
    Last week me and my husband packed up the Kiack and went to Salor Bar which is a pretty place near Hazel Ave near Sunset :sunrise:
    Today I will start my morning with a morning walk with my dog and my husband.

How do you explore nature and how does it relate to your practice in

Witchcraft?
Working with the elements :water_element: :fire_element: :air_element: :earth_element:
Itā€™s still sunny around here FYI

Ohh :astonished:
That takes some getting used to. Iā€™m glad that you have a furnace.!
Jeannie

is that a weed or what?
Plant Id for free

Jeannie

13 Likes

Looks like Chicory to me!

12 Likes

I think it is, I just got a app so I can use the app to identify what it is I connected to the flower or weed because it reminds me of Astor (Loving Self) (Self Love)and so when I get home; I actually plucked one so I could identify it when I get home. I had to go to work so as soon as I get home, Iā€™m gonna plug it in my appā€¦ also, I felt connected to it because itā€™s purple so I just really felt like it was calling to me and so for this challenge I figured it was appropriate based on nature and how nature speaks to us so the plant was basically telling me that it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s a weed or a plant or itā€™s all good . But thank you for asking. I wondered if anybody was going to ask. I do believe itā€™s a weed, but I know that even weeds have medicinal properties.
Jeannie

12 Likes

Personally, I wouldnā€™t classify it as a weed as roast chicory root is used as a coffee substitute and chicory is used in many commercial products including Fiber One bars.

Itā€™s a wonderful naturalized plant that often goes overlooked by many! Good job finding and recognizing this one! :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

12 Likes

Chicory, Chichorium Endiva (Endive)
Wow unbleivable this is actually a leafy vegeteble that belongs to the Asteraceae family. It is native in Europe and Asia and has been cultivated for centuries for its culinary and medicinal properties.
Good for and has rich A,C,K, folate, calcium and potassium. It also contains antioxidants that help protect against cell damage caused by free radicals in the body. It treats digestive disorders like CONSTIPATION and helps the liver!!!
OMG this is really ironic I picked this maybe this is what I need!!! Spirit lead me to this plant!!!
Thank you Artemisa I just donā€™t know what I am going to do for this challenge yet but I will think it over.
Jeannie

12 Likes

Hello everyone - love this
For this challenge Iā€™ll be harvesting the herbs Iā€™ve grown and the dandelions I left for spell work and medicines so, dandelion roots, borage, sage, lemon balm and verbena, rosemary, lavender and thymeā€¦ Lots of washing and drying for meā€¦ And of course autumn walks for acorns, conkers, crab apples, rose hips Love this time of year

13 Likes

Good morning Jeannie

I love reading your posts first thing in the morning. Your enthusiasm gets me started and hopefully I can get this challenge in on time. I really do need to get rid of some of the chaos in my life.

Enjoy your walk, it looks beautiful where you are!

Mote It Be,
Medea

11 Likes

Hi, dawn, 13.The fall is also my favorite time of year. For some reason, we have an abundance of acorns that I have to keep sweeping off my driveway, I am afraid if I step on them and Iā€™m afraid I will break my ankle.
Good luck with your challenge, I am anxious to read it!

Medea :witch_pentacle:

10 Likes

Yes, autumn is a beautiful season. Watch your ankle! Time to look inwards :blush:

10 Likes

Challenge Entry - Practicing with Nature :leaves:

I chose to conjure a plant spirit familiar as my challenge. Iā€™m using these steps and ritual posted here from ā†’ A Broom at Midnight | Amazon

I chose two actually, Plantain (a common native hardy medicinal plant) and Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis). I donā€™t have a yard with a lawn, but I do see plantain on every run. I do, however, happen to be growing Lemon balm on my deck. Since I have easier access to the Lemon balm I am starting there.

I use lemon balm in many of my herbal tea mixes including my sleepy tea (which if I posted the recipe on here, I canā€™t find itā€¦)

Over the past two days, I have refreshed the soil the plant is in, added fertilizer, trimmed old foliage, and watered her thoroughly all the while talking to her telling her my plans for the ritual and the hopes that she will accept. I asked for a leaf to press and did a rubbing on paper as the placeholder for the leaf.

Over the next few days, Iā€™ll continue working through the ritual and working with the spirit with the hopes of developing a relationship and a connection.

Once I establish a lemon balm spirit familiar and have a comfortable relationship, Iā€™d expand and take on the task with the Plantain.

10 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Challenge Entry :cherry_blossom:
As a Daughter of Gaia, I just cannot pass up doing this challenge!
For this challenge, I took a Calming Herbal Bath this morning and did the Resting In the Arms of Our Earth Mother meditation with Gaia. I also made a jar of Gaiaā€™s Blessing oil that I will be using in my rituals and meditations with Mother Gaia:

I added rose petals to the oil :pink_heart:

Here is the recipe, which I found on diffuserblends.com:
5 drops Myrrh
4 drops Tea Tree
3 drops Cedarwood
3 drops Sandalwood
1 drop Frankincense (Serrata)

14 Likes

This is my entry

I planted this and said little spell to protect the house with this flower it was simple and sweet spell plus I love planting. I saved this flower from being tossed out and I revived it

12 Likes

challenge entry
We are heading into spring in south hem. As my hayfever likes to remind me but a more positive note of soring was seeing a butterfly yesterday at the busstop after wotk. It was just that moment of connection i knew nature was dpeaking to meā€¦then i saw the challenge and i thought ok maybe if the butterfly had a message for me maybe i could find a butterfly spread. I hadto improvise using my apps but used druid animal and plant oracle together. Two arionhod circle dpreads made up the body in exact number of cards needed except middle cards not exactly like image but then a two xard spread made up the antenna of the butterfly. And voila ā€¦ a butterfly spreadā€¦butterfly wants to spesk. Im ready to listen.

13 Likes

Challenge Entry

Oh I love this, I live next to the woods and often go for a nice walk and collect supplies or meditate out in the woods. I also went on holiday and took our pup to the beach and collected some shells. Donā€™t know who loved the beach more me or Bonnie.

I also wrote a ground spell

On this earth is where I stand

Burying my roots deep within this land

Restore my energy from dark to light

Give me your strength as we unite.

I call upon the element Earth

To ground me, protect me

and send healing energy

So it is now so mote it be.

Nothing better than than being alone in the woods just me and my magick.

14 Likes

This challenge came at a perfect time! My daughter lives a mile down the road from me (on my parents property that I grew up on). I asked her about a week ago if I could go down there to do rituals and meditate. The back of the 3 acre property is wooded and has a creek running through it (Iā€™m sure the creek is dry now) and itā€™s beautiful. When I was little I would pretend I was lost in an enchanted forest. I ordered a water proof picnic blanket from Amazon. Iā€™m going to do this in the mornings when there is dew on the ground and itā€™s cooler. I will let everyone know how it goes. Today will be the first time. I havenā€™t been to the back of the property in years, so Iā€™m sure the landscape has changed some. Iā€™m also going to wear my boots to get to the perfect spot. We have snakes in Texas, and it would really ruin the mood it I get bit. :boot: :snake: :rofl:

13 Likes

Back in Indiana, I used to walk the woods of Franke Park or Pokagon. Miss that.

When I got to New Mexico, I tried exploring the Rio Grande in a similar fashion. Homeless camps kept me from feeling comfortable doing that again, and the homeless have become thick and sick since Covid. I donā€™t even feel safe riding the buses anymore.

Ok. That means this is more of a challenge than ever for me.

Challenge Entry

Even though I have only north facing windows in an apartment with no arable land for planting, I also have reduced access to grocery stores. Gotta try something for my own survival.

I usually plant bird seed for Albus to chew on. Here is his planter:

The plants never get very big, possibly because of the size of the pot. However, Iā€™m willing to try a bit of lettuce. So far, so good:

The potting soil I found doesnā€™t seem to moisten like other soils Iā€™ve had. It floats whenever I water and doesnā€™t act like a sponge when I leave some in the bottom. That means I water daily, just a little at a time, and watch for the plantsā€™ reactions.

Hereā€™s hoping things work well, even though it is fall.

12 Likes

Challenge Entry: Nature Magick

I often commune with an oak tree that I planted 33 years ago in the back corner of our property. It has grown from a 12 inch sprig to a towering 30+ foot oak. Recently I found this charm I am going to try.

Source: Earth magic : a wisewomanā€™s guide to herbal, astrological, and other folk wisdom, 1994, by Claire Nahmad.

To Commune with the Spirit of a Tree

Go out into the countryside, as far as you can from streets and houses, and find a tree that your heart selects as your own. It may be that you walk straight to it, as if guided. You will sense whether the tree welcomes you or not.

Now you must name your tree, and give it a name that is noble and does it honor. Keep the name secret. The tree is your tree; you are its spiritual friend, and it will be your magical companion. A bond of love and knowledge will begin to grow between you.

Stand before your tree and let a quietude and a stillness of mind and heart fall upon you. You must place your hands upon its trunk until you feel there is a lucid language wrought in runes on its bark, a face traced in its patterns of leaf and twig, a heart within that beats in time with your own. Embrace the tree and in your heart bow in reverence for the Spirit of Trees is mighty and ancient, even if your tree is young. Say to the tree:

Tree-spirit, hear my prayer

True friendship with you I would share.

If all feels well and you sense an offering of shelter and protection from the tree, you may proceed with the charm:

Heart to heart I bind us

Soul to soul I bind us;

I am bound in your roots.

My soul in your fruits

Your sap in my blood

My breath in your wood

My voice in your leave

Your strength in my griefs

My heart in your joy ā€¦

By magicā€™s employ

And spiritā€™s wise sanction

Let this spell be done

So saith the witch.

Then tie a lock of your hair around a leafy twig and bury it deep between the roots (do not leave it upon the tree, as little birds are much annoyed by human hair, for it knots up their feet with its find threads).

You must visit your tree often and enter into a deep soul communion with it, but do not think this can happen only when you stand beside its greenery in the summer and its good bare bones in the winter. You must think of your tree many, many times as you live your life day by day; tell him or her (you will know which it is) your joys and sorrows and the secret longings of your heart. In happiness, rejoice with your tree; in pain, put your arms around its strong trunk, and it will take the pain from you; in times of mental distress or unease, make a picture of your tree in your mindā€™s eye; see its stillness and its gentle exhalation of peace, and breathe with your tree. Enter into its body as if you had become a tree-woman or tree-man. So did witches in the olden days undergo vile and terrible torture in a deep sleep, which separated their pain from them.

Do all these things, and the spell will be worked. Your tree will be your heartā€™s closest companion.

14 Likes