Introducing myself!

Hello everyone! I’m new here, or should I say that I’ve been lurking for the past two weeks because I’m such an introvert that even online intros give me anxiety lol. I honestly wasn’t sure that I was going to stay longer than the initial trial period but I have found so much information and inspiration that I want to stay!

I’m from Pennsylvania, where I live with my husband, two children and our kitten who we thought was a girl but recently discovered is actually a boy :flushed::rofl:.

You could say I’m somewhat new to this. I practiced a long time ago and then strayed off the path and am now finding my way back if that makes sense. Through several hardships and obstacles I came to realize that I was being called back to my craft but feel like I need to relearn everything. I’m working on creating a dedicated sacred space in my house and my goal is to have it finished and ready by the new moon (big ambitions). I guess my first question for the group then would be what are your thoughts on performing spells and/or rituals prior to having that dedicated space? Do you feel that it detracts from the effectiveness at all? I want to do them so badly but I’m not certain that I’ll have my space ready soon enough. Thank you for any input that you might have!

13 Likes

Good afternoon! I’m Siofra from Cape Cod & I did a similar journey to get here 2 years ago. I practiced when I was younger and then life happened & in 2020 I came back & found Spells8. I had to do the same thing, kind of relearn everything & then kind of forge my path from there.

I have a dedicated space in my room, but before that, I just had a dark purple/maroon dish towel, birthday candles, & a tealight holder, & a cup. Nothing fancy for my first anything & I could pack it up nicely to fit in a dresser drawer at the time. Actually not too much as far as the location has changed, but it’s definitely more permanent than when I was first starting back, now it’s the top of my vanity dresser. As long as you feel right about what you are doing & can focus your intent without distraction, I feel like you should be able to work however it works for you with what you have :smiling_face: spontaneous, chaotic, or casual casting hasn’t interfered with workings in my practice.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! Someone will be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Everyone here is very friendly & helpful. I look forward to learning with you! :infinite_roots:

8 Likes

Merry meet and welcome home :infinite_roots: fellow introvert :dotted_line_face:

You lurked only 2 weeks! Awesome, I lurked much longer… I am Marsha, an eclectic solitary witch, and also an introvert.

I’m so glad you decided to stay @brandy9 There is so much information here, it’s amazing. Anyway, if you have any questions, just ask Q&A Lots of great courses too!

For me, it’s fine, as long as I cleanse and protect the space I’m in before I begin.

For me, it doesn’t.

Have you ever been in a place, (i.e. a movie, train, store, cafe…) where you felt like you needed to protect yourself? Your mind is very powerful, so you must use it to protect yourself! Also, if you believe it will detract from the spell’s effectiveness, then it will.

With Love :heart: and a Magick :dizzy: Mind :brain:

8 Likes

@brandy9
Hi brandy,
I’m Garnet, well into my golden years (still waiting for the gold). I live in central Florida. I’m a retired navy wife & RN. Welcome to spells8. So glad you ventured out and joined us. So much to learn, so many wonderful and diverse people to meet. OH, you will have such a fun time here.
No one is unkind, critical or mean. Here you will meet loving, generous people who think alike, from all around the world.
Our beloved Siofra had some wonderful ideas. Just remember it isn’t what you spend in dollars that count but what you give in compassion and love.
Many blessings
Stay safe in this uncertain world
And know, from this day forward?
You are no longer alone
Garnet

8 Likes

Hi there and welcome to your new coven! I live in Connecticut and practice green magick. You can do magick anywhere you want, whenever you want, you just want to be concerned with protecting yourself and cleansing and making the space safe. If you do any kitchen, green, casual or other forms of magick that are not dependent on a ritual space and drawing the corners, etc., then you can do it with or without your altar. I use my altar to meditate, to create ritual spells, and connect with spirits/ancestors. So it’s really up to you what you do and how you do it. You know what is most effective and safe for you, so do that.

Lastly, there are only a few items that need to be part of a formal altar to practice something more formal if you want to do that right away. Dig through your existing items or go to dollar store and start today - then just upgrade or get your new altar together in due time - you can search for travel altars here and it will show a lot of altars that can be quick to put together without much effort, time or money!

Welcome and I look forward to getting to know you!

8 Likes

@brandy9 welcome welcome welcome. So glad u decided to stay. This really is a great place to meet other like minded people. And even some not so like minded. Lol.

As for having a sacred space for performing spells…my opinion is no.

While yes now i have one, but for the longest time i didn’t. Well not a designated sacred space. A sacred space is wherever u deem it to be. Any place, any time, any where. It is sacred to u. Thats what matters. This is your path no one elses. If it feels right to u then so be it.

However i wholeheartedly agree with @marsha protection protection protection.

Again welcome. If u ever need anything pls dont hesitate to ask myself or anyone here. We are one big family.

Many blessings

8 Likes

Hi @brandy9! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots:

Personally, I don’t think you have to have a dedicated space. I know a lot of people take theirs down and put it up as needed. Or have an altar in a bedside drawer where it can be hidden easily. It’s all up to you!

But this is a good question to start out with. You did good! LOL!

9 Likes

Hello and Welcome @brandy9. I am a new witch and I don’t have much practice with formal magic. I frequently create temporary sacred spaces. I create alters on my living room floor when I practice yoga.

And at my dining space for frequent tea rituals (I love the tea rituals.) (I have bookmarked the Tea Rituals here. My Tea Ritual Bookmarks

These make me happy. I feel that the intent and focus is more important than having a a dedicated space. Though having space where you won’t be interrupted is fairly important. I tell my kids (6&8) not to interrupt me when I am meditating unless they are bleeding or dying.
I am planning on taking a traveling altar to my work for little spells when I need a break. Perhaps a travel altar would be a good idea. Travel Altars

You may get other ideas by looking at the Weekly Challenge we did last week - Casual Casting.

9 Likes

Hello @brandy9 I am sort of new-ish to all of this and one thing I’ve learned, is to not rush it. If it’s not ready, that’s okay! I also have kids and a family with dogs, so I know how hard it can be to get everything together when and how you want it. I’m fortunate enough to have my own office so honestly, I have my sacred space set up on a small end table that I took from my garage (from our first house) and set it up how I WANTED IT. LOL. I’m very much for following how things are supposed to go, but I’ve learned to go with the flow. I add things as I get them or find them & put onto my altar. I believe that what I do is effective because I’ve created it HOW I WANT IT TO. If I believe it, that’s all that matters!!

Hope that helps ease some of it, because my things are never done on time honestly LOL. I don’t even get to really complete many weekly challenges on here because I honestly forget to type them out to everyone, but I do them on my own random times!! With what I have and can do! If it’s what I can do, and I’m TRYING, I feel that is all that matters. I’m glad you like it here, I definitely do too and have met some pretty amazing people here.

It’s nice to meet you!! Reach out if you need anything, everyone on here is GREAT!

9 Likes

Thank you so much everyone!! I definitely feel a lot more at ease. I’m looking forward to participating more in the forum!

10 Likes

Merry meet @brandy9 and welcome to the forum! :blush:

Thank you so much for taking the leap to reach out and share your lovely introduction- it’s a pleasure to meet you! I’m so happy that you’ve found lots of helpful information and inspiration. I hope you continue to find everything you are hoping for and more! :heart:

Hahaha we did that last year with my parents’ cat- brought it to the vet for a first check up and surprise! :joy::black_cat:

Great question! I agree with what several others have already said- it’s your magick that makes your practice, not the physical space or purchased tools. While having a pretty sacred space or the tools you like can help to enhance your experience, I believe that magick can be cast and realized anywhere at anytime :+1:

If you feel the call to jump into magick, I say go ahead and answer it, Brandy! :sparkles::mage:

Looking forward to talking with you more soon- Blessed be! :heart:

8 Likes

Welcome @brandy9! My name is Amaris (Jessica) and I am an eclectic pagan green witch from Texas. I have been practicing for a little over 2.5 years but have been in and out since a teenager (my mother is Wiccan). You will love Spells8 and the Infinite Roots, it is full of kind and knowledgeable people who do not hesitate to share their wisdom!

I live full-time in an RV, so tiny space! I have a mobile altar that I can move around where I need it. But I also do a lot of kitchen witchery and don’t use my altar there. As others have mentioned, I ensure my space is cleansed and I am protected (I do a circle but it’s not the full calling of quarters/elements; I envision myself and my area being protected by a sphere of white light that will only allow in energy that is for my higher good.). Whether I am working at my altar or on a tv tray that I have quickly cast a circle around, I have the same results as it is your intention that makes the magic.

Also, if you do feel you need an altar space, it doesn’t have to be perfect! My first altar was simply a piece of black velvet, salt for earth, a feather for air, cinnamon sticks for fire, and a sea shell for water. I then had a selenite palm stone that has the triple moon carved in it that I used for the Goddess/the Lady and a river rock that caught my attention (turned out to be yellow jasper) that I had drawn the horned god symbol on for the God/the Lord. That was it. Nothing fancy and it got the job done.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Brandy! We’re happy to have you here :heart: Don’t worry about intro-anxiety. We’re all a fairly easy-going bunch!

As for your questions, I’ll go ahead and answer them from my perspective.

Honestly, I live in a house with a total of 9 people. Dedicated sacred space is a rare commodity :laughing: I don’t feel like having that sort of thing is entirely necessary but it can help. I have a sort of altar space set up in my room that I can adjust when necessary. I do a lot of my workings at the altar or in the kitchen, it just depends on what I’m doing.

No, I don’t think it affects my workings at all. I just have to practice harder at focusing if there are other people up and around in the house.

I say do the spells and workings that you want to do and let the sacredness of the space develop over time. :pray:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.