Is this Cinnamon?

I just learned that I’ve been using “Fake Cinnamon” called Cassia! It’s the kind most grocery stores carry in the baking isle. I’ve also purchased a different looking kind from the international market and I guess those are the “real” cinnamon. Has anyone heard of this?? Here is a picture , the one with layers is the real and the stick with two loops is Cassia not Cinnamon. Any advice?

5 Likes

Not sure how to tell them apart but I think for magical purposes, either one would be fine for a spell.

4 Likes

It’s all cinnamon!
Just two different species - cinnamomum verum ‘true cinnamon’ or ‘ceylon’ is typically from India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Myanmar whereas cinnamomum cassia ‘cassia’ is from China.
Wikipedia says:
Cassia induces a strong, spicy flavour and is often used in baking. It’s generally medium to light reddish brown in colour, hard and woody in texture.
Ceylon cinnamon, (quills) has a lighter brown colour and a finer, less dense and more crumbly texture. It is considered to be subtle and more aromatic in flavour than cassia and it loses much of its flavour during cooking.

5 Likes

Yup, as @Limeberry says they’re both still cinnamon :heart:

I honestly don’t think it would make a difference magickly which one you use, but I encourage you to sit with each one and listen to the Spirit of the spice and see what it has to tell you.

5 Likes

Ok that’s good advice thanks!

2 Likes

Ok thanks! I just don’t want to accidentally create the wrong vibe. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes