Mineral Family: Araucariaceae
Structure: Wood 🪵
Hardness: 3-4
Chakra: Third eye, Root
Zodiac: Capricorn :capricorn:
Element: Earth :earth_americas:
Planet: Earth :earth_africa:, Saturn :ringer_planet:
Color: Black :black_heart:, Brown :brown_heart:, Matallic luster :metal:

🪵 Jet, AKA Lignite, is created from decaying wood under extreme pressure. The wood belongs to a family of trees called Araucariaceae, which are an ancient group of cone-bearing trees that existed during the Jurassic and Cretaceous period.

🪵 Jet has been used as far back as 10,000 BC with a carving of larva discovered near the Venuses of Petersfel.

🪵 This compressed stone can be found not only in the UK but the US, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Canada, Cambodia and Australia.

🪵 Jet has a soft form and a hard form. Soft Jet occurs when carbon is compressed with freshwater. Hard Jet forms when carbon is compressed with saltwater.

🪵 Jet is a Mineraloid, which is a natural occuring substance that seems like a mineral but does not demonstrate structural crystals.

🪵 Jet works well in drawing out negative energies that surround your aura. It’s like a purifier, drawing and dispelling unwanted energies when at the same time it brings in positivity.

🪵 The Romans believed Jet would protect them from evil entities, especially the “Evil Eye” :nazar_amulet:

🪵 Jet is a stone that roots you down to earth while assisting in balancing and protecting.

🪵 Ajoite works well with Jet. It’s a strengthener of the emotional spirit.

🪵 Jet works very well with Moldavite in leading the user to achieve the highest level in one’s transformation process.

🪵 Other Properties: 🪵
Channeling and grounding higher vibrations, astral travel, insight, purification, protection, luck and good fortune, grounding, clearing, connecting with nature, dispelling negative energy, transformation.

I have hard Jet…

Again, sorry for the bad pics :pensive: I’ll add better pics from Google:

Here’s the metallic Jet:

Hers the soft form of Jet:

Hers hard Jet:
beachcombing-jet

And the brown Jet:

8 Likes

So odd that you decide to do this post… I’m wondering if it is lightweight because I think my husband gave me a small piece of hard Jet. Thank you for sharing the information! :blush:

We had the top 20+ feet of a tree :deciduous_tree: come down in the backyard, part of it was in the neighbor’s backyard too. So my husband talked to the homeowner & they decided to let him cut up & remove the tree to our yard. After my husband had finished moving the tree, he says, “Hunny, I found you something.” & proceeds to give me a piece of black, shiny, mineral (? it feels too light to be a stone of any kind & it’s almost brittle, comes off in like shales or sheets. The way it’s outside is it could be compressed wood though) I wish someone else in the house was awake right now so I could take a picture :framed_picture: :rofl:

6 Likes

Yes it’s light! I think you may have found either petrified wood or Jet. Well, jet is mostly black.

6 Likes

Yes! This is a Jet Black… (see what I did there? :joy: I am hilarious).

Dammit, people! Wake Up! :sun_behind_rain_cloud:

I wonder how my neighbors would feel if I was looking in their grass for more of it? They already think I’m a little off :rofl:

5 Likes

Hahaha I wouldn’t care. But then again, I am cocoo for crystals!! :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

My daughter’s friend likes them too & told her that she has an “enormous & beautiful” collection. Then proceeded to show them to my daughter over the phone. So my daughter said, “That’s nothing compared to my mom. She has a whole room full of them!”& came into my room to video chat all of my crystals to her friend. :joy:

4 Likes

Aw that’s awesome :sunglasses: :gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem:

4 Likes

@christina4, hon, I have jet and onyx and they’ve gotten mixed in with other crystals in my box. Now I can’t tell which is which. Any advice?

4 Likes

Jet is very lightweight compared to a stone because it is wood. Other than that… I’m not sure & @christina4 is a better resource if you still can’t tell which is which.

4 Likes

Huh. Thanks, @Susurrus! I’ll have to go through my box of crystals and check that out!

4 Likes

Like @Susurrus said, jet is very light. It’s wood basically. And onyx is definitely heavier. If you still can’t tell, you could take a pic and I could try to see the difference.

4 Likes

I may do so the next time I want to play with jet. Bug you about it that is. Right now it’s in my gem box and I’m too lazy to go over and get it. LOL!

4 Likes

It’s no problem :blush: I always lazy :sloth:

4 Likes

So today, I did my 3rd meditation to meet the Morrigan. Each time I set up my altar for Her & today I made incense with her corresponding herbs :herb: that I have access to (Mugwort & Dragon’s Blood Resin. I added some cloves for added protection). While I was looking up variations of loose incense with those ingredients (before I settled on keeping it simple) I found the Morrigan’s correspondences list that I had saved… 1 of her stones/woods is Jet! My husband just found me the piece I have last week! So I put that in front of the candles :candle: I lit for her too. So funny that it is appearing multiple times since he found it! :dizzy:

4 Likes

What a neat coincidence!!!

4 Likes