Junk Journal Book of Shadows

I’ve tried in the past to use a blank journal as my book of shadows, and I never quite bonded with it in the way I wanted to. So, I recently put together a junk journal that I plan to keep as my BOS. Has anyone used this method for their BOS? If so, would anyone be willing to share some of their pages or any of the details of how they put together their books?

Thanks!

12 Likes

Hi, @b0g_witch! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots:

You’ve come to the right coven! There are a whole bunch of Printables for your BOS, for just about anything you want on-site!

And the way I personally got into this site was by watching a video on YouTube with the Spells8 Grimore being shown off. So that might give you some ideas.

And just in case that didn’t help, there’s a video by Hearth Witch on starting a BOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv66DqEa7Yg

But basically, it’s your book and you put what you want in it. Good luck, and I hope to chat with you some more!

10 Likes

@b0g_witch, I don’t use a junk journal for my BOS, but I do junk scrapbooking, I’ll have to pull up a page or two and show y’all…. I like Elderberry sprout and both of the suggestions above from @Amethyst - The free form of Junk journaling is fun and I love to see what creative things others come up with as well!
:books: light and happiness!!! :green_heart:

8 Likes

@b0g_witch Hello and welcome. I’m Tracy from England. Junk journalling is something I’ve never heard of, so would love to see what you do. My book, is all individual notebooks I find here and there, which I chuck together in a flowery folder thingy that’s held together with bands, no organisation there, but I like it and hey, if someone else tried to read it that shouldn’t , well, it wouldn’t make alot of sense :joy:. Maybe I will try this junk journal thing too. Blessed be :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

It’s not quite a junk journal that I’ve got but I thought I’d share my commonplace journal. I draw, paste color printouts, press flowers, add stickers, do leaf rubbings, write…

Here’s a couple of pictures in a previous post and pictures of the new one I just created in this post

Today I added the tea ritual page to my book

I can take and share more photos of my old book if it would help and/or you’d be interested in seeing more!

9 Likes

Hello :hugs: and welcome home :infinite_roots: @b0g_witch

It’s so nice to meet you, Katie, I’m Marsha, an Eclectic Solitary Witch, from Colorado. I’ve not used a Junk Journal although I have seen some interesting ones! I have a large 3-ring binder that I plan to use. I have printed out most of the BOS pages here on spells 8 and even created some of my own, but I haven’t put it together yet! I hope to one day soon! Welcome to the family :people_hugging:

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

7 Likes

Hi and welcome. I found what @Amethyst said to be true for me at least. When i started out i wasn’t sure how to start a BOS so i went with the Spells8 printables and never looked back. I love all the information, spells and rituals they have in there and it is one of my most precious and sacred things in my sacred/witch room. As for my Grimoire i went for a more DIY approach since i love crafts and have made it too my second one so far. I kept my Book of Mirrors simple and purchased a cute witchy journal i keep hidden just to reflect in and write my progress.
I am sure your method works best for you and would love to hear how to progress goes overtime :blush:

8 Likes

Sorry for my ignorance here but what is a junk journal?

Alan

5 Likes

I haven’t been in a place where I can really do a lot of scrapbooking and journaling - little kids make that hard - but my little kids are entering a new phase… big kids! So my time is kind of revamping itself. It’s wild!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out looking at a discbound system for binding. I’ll add a video that shows it. I am currently addicted. It’s like if a binder and a notebook got married. It looks like a notebook and lays flat like a notebook, but you can add, move, and take out pages like a binder. You do need a special hole puncher… but after that, the sky is the limit!

Here’s a video!

9 Likes

Oh, I’ve had a discbound notebook before! It was pretty cool, but I don’t think mine was very good quality. The paper always fell out and would never stay put :joy: maybe one day I’ll try a better quality system.

6 Likes

Did somebody say Junk Journal and scrapbooking?

Great suggestions from everyone.

I have so many junk journals, I make them and love making them, I create JJ’s and scrapbooks and mini albums and cards as my creative outlet to gift and sell (I have very few of my own LOL).

I have actually been purchasing digital JJ kits to print that are witchcraft themed and it’s not easy to find ones I like but I have found quite a few. Just print, put the signatures together, add some tuck spots, pockets and ephemera and done.
There are tons on Esty just search “witchy junk journal”, there are lots of pics that give completed samples for inspiration.

@Cosmic_Curiosity A Junk Journal is a handmade book of recycled and found materials and ephemera. The pages can be used to write, draw, paint or record memories, thoughts, ideas, and inspiration. The finished junk journal can become anything you want including a grimoire or BOS.

Here is one I am working on right now to kind of give you an idea, mine that I make are usually rather vintage but you can make one any way you want out of anything you want.

7 Likes

I absolutely love your vintage journal the lace and the tea stained pages it’s perfect :sparkling_heart::heartpulse::sparkles:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.