Kitchen Witchery - Comforting Chowder

A creamy, comforting and tasty ham, potato, & corn chowder that is pure bliss in a bowl! This recipe makes a lot - so you can freeze for a later time or share with friends and family!

If you wish to make it vegetarian friendly, just omit the ham, bacon, and use dairy free milk.

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter

• 1 onion, diced - protection & banishing

• 5 carrots, diced - see things more clearly, fertility

• 4 stalks celery, diced - lust, cleansing, psychic powers & concentration

• 3 cloves garlic, chopped - can be used to suck up negative energy

• 2 teaspoon thyme, chopped - protection, courage and strength

• 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped - protection, purification, lust, fertility

• 2 teaspoons chives, chopped - protection, divinatition, banishing hexes, love, warding negativity and disease

• 1/2 cup flour (or a gluten free version - Pamela’s is a great option)

• 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth

• 4 cups milk - you can use almond if you prefer dairy free milk

• 8 white or red potatoes, diced small and optionally peeled - it is said the first voodoo dolls were carved from potatoes. Can be used in poppet magick/image-magick

• 10 -16 ounces ham, diced - magickal association with ‘ham’ dramatic energy, theatrical flare. Symbolism of Pig, good luck, abundance, determination and fertility.

• 2 cups frozen corn - growth, new beginnings

• Salt (protection) and pepper (banish negative energies, promotes courage) to taste

Optional: Bacon & Cheese to top off bowl

Directions

• Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 10-12 minutes.

• Mix in the garlic, thyme, parsley, chives and flour and cook until the flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.

• Slowly stir in the broth, deglazing the pan as you go, add the milk and potatoes, cook for about 5 minutes - then add the diced ham and corn & season with salt and pepper. Stir.

• Remove from pot and add it all to a crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Options:

Serve with bacon bits and cheese on the top.

You can also replace the potatoes with cauliflower.

8 Likes

Thank you for this! I am always looking for comfort food and something that I can put in the crock pot! It sounds yummy and looks delicious!

5 Likes

Wow. That sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

This chowder looks and sounds delicious!
Thank you soooo much for sharing - I’ll definitely be making this soon! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yum, yum, yum- this looks delicious! :drooling_face: It is definitely turning into chowder time around here with dark, rainy, and cold days. I made a potato chowder the other day and it was alright but reading this recipe I now realized what my chowder was missing- bacon on top! :bacon::laughing:

I’ll have to give this version a try- thanks for sharing, @SilverBear! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes