Lunar Effects on Humans

With the full moon this weekend, it got me thinking about the lunar effect on humans. So I looked it up & there have been studies done on different aspects of human behavior and the moon. It was found that the most significant changes were with people diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. It also found that it does make a slight change with humans cardiovascular systems.

Key Takeaways

Because the moon’s cycles are known to influence natural phenomena like the tides, some cultures have developed a persistent — but mostly incorrect— belief that lunar phases also influence human emotions, behaviors, and health.

For the most part, a full moon doesn’t cause people to become more aggressive, violent, anxious, or depressed.

There does seem to be a link between the phases of the moon and changes in symptoms of bipolar disorder. There’s also some evidence that a full moon can lead to less deep sleep and a delay in entering into REM sleep. In addition, some studies have shown a slight change in cardiovascular conditions during a full moon.

Scientists continue to study how the moon influences various physiological and psychological systems. For now, though, it appears the effect of this heavenly body on your body is less powerful than once believed.
Lunar Effects Research Link

I had been wondering about the effects of the moon on humans & to a point my questions were answered. I believe it is up to the individual to see how in tune they are with the lunar cycles or other processes of nature. It was stated in the article that now humans are getting used to other rhythms because of cell phones & other unnatural light sources. Our bodies and systems are getting accustomed to unnatural forms of light guiding our sleep and wake cycles.

10 Likes

An old term was lunatics, and they were right all along.
I am a lunatic, more every day, since moon represents mother in my chart, her influence was stronger than the sun(father).:smiley:

10 Likes

Yes the term is mentioned in the article that it was derived from the effects of the moon on people of the time. We still use the term now & it’s interesting to know how the term originated! :smiley:

7 Likes

Yes, we haved evolved since.
I rather apply all the positive vibes that come with the word and the Moon.
Move on Sun, at last a new girl has come to the stage!:rofl::joy:
Great article!

6 Likes

Thank you so much! I hope you have a great day! :sun_with_face:

6 Likes

And to you too.
Need it, just had an spasm and rather be under the electric blanket, but have to get out soon to get my COVID jab :blush::pray:

5 Likes

I wonder how much of it is the Moon affecting our bodies and how much of it is people just saying the moon affects them and then letting themselves act the fool. Probably a little bit of both.

5 Likes

I think it’s a little bit of both there too!

5 Likes

When it comes to finding excuses for acting like fools, we humans are all masters there! :laughing: Like we are at making connections too, which then become our reality. Thank you for the interesting article Krissie, I love the moon and everything to do with it :white_heart:

4 Likes

I used to think the time under full moon had a predictable effect on my mood, but now that I’ve been tracking her phases more closely I’ve realized that it was just confirmation bias talking… :grin:

4 Likes

This is really interesting, @Susurrus! :star_struck: :full_moon: Thanks for bringing it up.

I’ve always felt like the air is super-charged with energy around the time of the full moon. Does it make me do crazier things than normal? Tough to say :laughing:

But I can say that this discussion reminds me of one of my all-time favorite t-shirt quotes:

[Picture from TheSpiritDen]

:joy:

6 Likes

I love that shirt! I feel like I need to make something like that or buy a tank top or hoodie with that saying on it! I love it!

3 Likes

Thanks for this information! My mother thinks that people turn aggressive and crazy on the full moon. I am bipolar and I do feel slot of things. But most I feel one with the energy of the moon and I can’t sleep well, like you said. But thanks :blush:

5 Likes

@christina4 I have schizoaffective disorder bipolar type, I graduated from bipolar disorder a few years ago after a breakdown, anyway, I feel the same types of things & it definitely affects my sleep. I understand what you mean. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I am fascinated with the full moon and it’s effects in nature and on humans. So many cultural celebrations–Passover, Mid-Autumn Festival, the Hindu festival for Vishnu, ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Native Americans, Celts, etc. The moon’s gravitational pull shifts all the seawater in the world. I feel off balance just getting in an elevator! LOL I feel the moon amplifies things for me. So, if I am anxious, I tend to feel more so; excited, same. I tend to feel tired and a little drained because I don’t sleep as soundly right before and on the night of the full moon. So, my full moon spells and circles are gentle, briefer and more about healing or protection and when the New Moon rolls around I tend to do more elaborate spells, etc. But even if I am more weary, I love the full moon. I was born on one!

4 Likes