Making a Tincture - Is it the same as a Salve?

I know this is probably a silly question, but i’m still slightly newer to making my own products as I’m in the process of starting up my own witchy business :astrology_moon: but is making a salve similar to making a tincture?

I’m still pretty new here. But any help or info is much appreciated <3 (i’ll post an introduction post here in a minute once I can figure out where to get started Thnx!)

7 Likes

@tara25 Welcome to the forum! I hope your witchy business goes very well for you! I am Siofra_Strega a moderator within the forum & from Cape Cod. I am a bit newer to making salves & such… I’ve made waters, oils, & simmer pots… but never a tincture & still learning about salves.

I went on a little quick search for making tinctures & I came across this site:

How to Make a Tincture - The Herbal Academy

The site is also school for herbs as well & has other articles or classes that you can take to help with your knowledge of herbs & ways to use them! :hugs:

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! Someone will be along to help you out & get you pointed in the right direction! Also, @Mistress_Of_Herbs may know of an easier method or a different way to do it that may be easier or yield the best results. It would be personal preference on how you ultimately go about making them.

I hope the article helps to get you started. I’m also going to mention that:

• Salve is an ointment to promote healing or protection on the skin
  • Tincture is made up of the liquid extracts of herbs to take orally

:infinite_roots:

I popped this out into it’s own question/thread so others can see it & maybe have more information to offer regarding tinctures and making your own :smiling_face:

9 Likes

There are similarities, I know of a few off hand for both salve and tincture, the plant matter sits in its solvent for so many weeks, and when done strain the plant matter out. Both prescribe at least 4- 6 weeks to let it sit.

5 Likes

Tinctures are heavily concentrated extracts made by placing chopped fresh or dried herbs into a jar and covering them with a solvent: alcohol, glycerin or vinegar. Which you can add to a salve.

5 Likes

THESE ARE A FEW PAGES FROM THE MOUNTAIN ROSE CATALOG. ITS FREE TO ORDER AND IS GREAT FOR USING AS A REFERENCE.

6 Likes

Welcome @tara25! Others have described the difference well. You can make a salve out of a tincture. The biggest difference is one is liquid and the other is “solid,” meaning it is in a form that you can use to apply topically. When I make tinctures, I time them with the full moon or new moon (depending on intention) so that I can remember to pull and strain them (gotta love ADHD - outta sight, outta mind).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.