Marriage Ceremony

Blessings everyone! I hope everyone is having a truly magnificent day! I wanted to ask a question about Wiccan marriage ceremonies. It seems that I did read about them but now I can’t seem to find what I am looking for.

My fiance and I are planning on getting married on October 21st 2021. It is going to be a small wedding and it is also a second marriage for both of us. Our first weddings were both traditional andChristian, and because I am now wanting to practice the Wiccan religion, I thought I should know about my new religion. Would it even be possible for me to have a Wiccan wedding? What does it entail? Can you still do other traditional wedding things when you celebrate a Wiccan wedding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think its time to get planning this wedding!

12 Likes

Let me preface this with: This is not my personal experience, and I am located in Pennsylvania. Your experience may vary.

My nephew’s mom had a witch wedding on Samhain 2020. I am not close to her, and I do not know her specific belief system. I did watch the video of the actual ceremony though because my nephew was excited to show me.

They filed with the courthouse and had their actual marriage certificate on a small table off to the side. Her eldest daughter (early 20s) did one of those ordained minister online courses, so she officiated the wedding.

Everyone was gathered around in a circle. Everyone read a line from a poem the bride picked out. They read vows that the wrote for each other. They exchanged rings. Then they did a handfasting, jumped the broom, kissed and if memory recalls correctly, said a love spell for their future together, then the bride, groom, daughter/officiant went off to the side to sign the certificate and partied the night away. They filed the signed certificate the following week.

It was a really beautiful ceremony. The actual ceremony was very heavily pagan, but they tied in some more traditional things as well.

Just remember, your wedding is a party to celebrate your love. It should reflect you. I don’t know the legal specifics of where you are, but if for some reason you can’t do a Wiccan wedding in your area, do it for your reception. Do your government wedding so it’s official, but then do the “real” one the way it’s meant to be celebrated.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

8 Likes

Congratulations :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: I’ve never been married before and I don’t know many other Wiccans in my area but I know someone will be able to help you and your partner have a magickal Wedding :heart_eyes: Remember it is your day and it is the happiness of you and your partner that matters the most :heartpulse:

9 Likes

I had a Christian based wedding close to 20 years ago, before I was actively practicing. A Wiccan wedding is typically outdoors & there is a handfasting ceremony where the couple’s hands are tied together with a rope or cord symbolizing the union of the parties. I found this article about the wedding with handfasting & it’s really interesting.

Wiccan Wedding Ceremony

9 Likes

Thank you. Those articles were very helpful!

6 Likes

Oh you’re welcome! I’m sure it will be beautiful for that time of year! Blessed Be! :star2:

4 Likes

Your marriage is yours to decide how you want to celebrate!! I had a big reception with both families but no ceremony, just a dance presentation we prepared lol. :man_dancing: :dancer: However a friend of mine had a secular priestess marry them and she added lots of nice touches throughout the ceremony that hinted of paganism (but still subtle).

You can probably find a secular wedding officiant who knows exactly what you need. There are Wiccan wedding planners out there too and I encourage you to search on Google what’s in your area.

What follows is my answer to the topic: Handfasting anyone?

Handfasting ceremonies are more and more popular from what I’ve seen. It can be as simple or elaborate as you want, and you don’t have to be pagans to do it.

Here’s a simple demonstration of what it looks like:

And here’s the full-blown pagan version:

There are scripts available online that you can use as a template, like this one from Sacred Texts or one from the Universal Life Church.

PS: Great date choice!!

9 Likes

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, @elizabeth5! :tada: I am sure that no matter how you and your partner decide to work out the details, it will be a lovely occasion unique to your special bond!

@Elle shared such a lovely experience and summed it up perfectly- I totally agree, this is your celebration to craft and design however you’d like! :blush: I think it’s wonderful to mix and match mainstream and pagan elements to find the best design for you.

I love topics like this as my partner and I got engaged last year and are very slowly working out the details. We are also considering a handfasting ritual as part of the ceremony! It is always fun and helpful to hear what others are considering for their own wedding rituals :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I’m reading this with interest. My husband and I have been married just over 5 years. This was a civil ceremony at a registry office as he’s in his own words a practicing atheist though was raised Catholic and is divorced so we couldn’t have married in a Catholic church even if we’d wanted to. I considered myself somewhat spiritual but not tied to any traditions.

I had originally hoped to renew our vows on our fifth anniversary last September but Covid obviously meant that couldn’t happen with friends as we’d hoped.

But I’m now thinking about a handfasting as our renewal and hubby says he’s happy with that, he respects my beliefs even though he doesn’t share them.

So I’ll possibly be using some of the ideas here :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You beat me to it :sweat_smile: I was going to mention that. Good eyes!

4 Likes

Congratulations!!! You’ve got all the advice right here. You’ll do great! @Francisco offered some great videos and @Susurrus gave a nice article. Go with your hearts intent. You have my love :tulip:

5 Likes

Congratulations @elizabeth5 and to your fiance about your upcoming marriage. Just as @Elle said,

Blessed Be!
-Margaret

5 Likes

Check out this site:https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7Fjgi41g5FIA_P9XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzYEdnRpZANDMTYyMl8xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1619917920/RO=10/RU=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fbroomchick%2Fpagan-and-wiccan-themed-weddings%2F/RK=2/RS=FOLI6A1wES8BMM4qnag9DsU4UiM-
Good luck with your wedding plans. Garnet

4 Likes