Memorial Day in the States

It is Memorial Day here in the States and a good day to honor fallen soldiers no matter where you are. I found this on Llwellen’s site and thought I’d share.

A Light For Those We’ve Lost.

13 Likes

Today I have candles lit for my ancestors who have been lost to war or served. Last night I was working on my BOS and added a Spirit Bottle spell. I am saving it for Samhain since I do not have all the pieces needed (it asks for soil from graveyard) so I am still working on it. And last year when I did a ritual for my Brother it was very strong energy so I think that will be a good time to put it all together. Someone at work shared a link to a site and it was there that I found information about my great great grandfather from England. I have been trying to find information on him for years and now I have a little more to go on. He was a Grand Primo of a Masonic Lodge and fought in WW1. He was also responsible (so I’m told) for getting a hospital in the area where he lived their first ambulances.

5 Likes

Thank You, beautiful girl.
The Civil War?
Both of my 2nd great grandfathers enlisted and served with the New York Infantry from 1861-1865 they came home…and never spoke of it.
WWI
One of my dad’s uncles served in Europe, he was gassed (Mustard Gas). He came home but he would never speak again due to the neurological damage he suffered.
WWII
My dad served in the pacific theatre, building runways on Okinawa.
He said it was “bad”, and that was enough said.
My Aunt’s husband served in the European theatre, he helped free the Internees from some of the concentrations camps. He got tears in his eyes and walk away, nothing was said and we learned to leave him alone.
Korean war
My mothers brothers, all 3 served in Korea and luckily all came home, not willing to discuss it.
Viet Nam
So many of the best and brightest of that generation went to this little country. Some came home, some died, then, some came home and were also dead, and didn’t even know it. (Agent orange was chemical used as a vegetation killer, and has been proven to b a carcinogenic.) I had protested against the war. I was wrong.
Desert storm etc.
Our best and brightest again sent to war, never to be the same. Their childhood was ripped from them, their psyche damaged.
The remembrance of the sacrifice made by these brave and glorious young people is a sacred trust given to all Americans.
I once said online that I was grateful to the Military for my freedom.
Another on line angrily; said “You thank the constitution for your freedom!”
I replied. “Without the life’s blood of these boys and girls, the constitution would just be a piece of paper signed by a bunch of old men good enough to only wipe… " Well, I’m sure you can guess the rest.” He made no reply.
Every sacrifice of every man and woman, down to the slightest scratch has kept us speaking English, not Japanese or German.
We are Americans, from every county of the world. We may come in many colors, Shapes, sizes and religions but I personally thank all the powers that be for the United States of America.

5 Likes

Both of my grandfather’s fought in WW2. Many uncle’s and my father fought in Vietnam.
Bless those who never made it home to their loved ones! :pleading_face:

3 Likes

That’s a good idea. I wish you luck on your Spirit Bottle too!

Good point. Too many people forget this.

My Daddy was older when I was born so he fought in WWII, Korea, and got sent home Stateside during Vietnam. I’m glad I lit a candle for his sake and all the rest.

6 Likes

That is a beautiful chant, @Amethyst- thank you for sharing it :pray::dove:

Not being in the States, I completely forgot about Memorial Day! :astonished: I was actually at the park where Poland has a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier this past weekend.

I’ll light a candle tonight and plan a gratitude meditation for those lost along the way :candle: Blessings to all in their treasured memories of loved ones lost :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I have so much family past & present that is in the service. A lot of my ancestors were in a branch of the service too. This was wonderfuL

5 Likes

I am so sorry, I was so wrapped up with America, I didn’t think of the horrors Poland suffered. I will light a candle for the noble Poles who fought and died so valiantly.
Blessing to you and your people. :candle:

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

Glad you liked it. I found it through Facebook.

4 Likes

My only complaint about this article is that I can only give it one heart…
:kissing_heart: :kissing_heart

5 Likes

I could have gone back to 1776, but enough was enough, huh?
bright blessings to you and yours.

5 Likes

Lol… I didn’t even go that far back! I can’t imagine the number of people I have in my family that was in the service if I went that far back. I didn’t even go past the 1900’s! I’m sure my family tree is vast as far as service members. It seems the males on both sides of my family were all drawn to military service in some form.

5 Likes

I have many family members in the Armed Forces here in the States plus many that have already passed. It definitely is a good day to honor them, but I also wanted to point out the history behind Memorial Day for those that were unaware (like I was until yesterday!).

Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day and was possibly first celebrated in Charleston, SC after the Civil War. There was a parade held after recently freed Black slaves reburied Black soldiers that had been buried in a mass grave.

Either way, today it has turned into a way to honor those that have fought and died for our country. Thank you to everyone here for their service or their families service :us:

7 Likes

May the Gods bless you and your family. You’re absolutely right, but thanks for reminding us.

6 Likes

Well, thank you love! I’m glad you liked it!

5 Likes

You have a heart of gold, Garnet :yellow_heart: :blush: May our candles burn brightly to honor all those who were lost :candle: :two_hearts:

I hadn’t heard about this- thanks for sharing your wisdom, Megan! :heart:

5 Likes

How Did Armistice Day Become Veterans Day in the United States?
The holiday, which originally marked the end of World War I, was broadened in the 1950s to honor all veterans. Nobody is wrong.

6 Likes

No one is saying anyone is wrong :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes