Messy witch

I try to be careful when burning candles, but I’m a clutz. A few minutes ago I was moving a candle away from my altar cloth because I didn’t want to get candle wax on my altar cloth and I knocked the candle over. So, now I have wax all over my altar cloth. Does anyone know of an easy way to remove wax from cloth? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

10 Likes

As a fellow clutz, I’ve had this happen many a time myself ( :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:). I have found that putting the cloth in the freezer for a little bit will make the wax harder and become brittle enough that you can “flake” off most of it. Then I wash it in very hot water to remove any residue. I usually wash it twice, once by hand to remove the residue and then either again by hand in new water or in the machine. I then hang it to dry.

11 Likes

Thanks @Amaris_Bane. I am going to try that washing by hand. I don’t want to put it in the washing machine. I think that will mess it up. I was being so careful with this cloth and knocked over the candle! Smh.

9 Likes

I usually wash mine by hand unless I have a load of delicates. I then place them in a lingerie bag and use the delicate cycle.

9 Likes

Never use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It started to eat the cloth in one spot. @Amaris_Bane I should have asked you first my biochemist engineer friend before I did that. Lol!

9 Likes

I discovered in my candle making experiments that dish soap (the handwashing kind) dissolves candle wax. :candle: :sparkles:

Eep! :sweat_smile: Sounds like it might contain synthetic fiber like acryl? Alcohol and acetone is a no on those.

9 Likes

Good news is I got the wax out! Bad news is why was I sweating over a $12 altar cloth? Lol!

Before

After

12 Likes

I wish I would have thought of that! Dawn is awesome on grease and candle wax is greasy.

8 Likes

Shit…same happened with my altar cloth too! :joy: I am going to include cleaning my cloth by first putting it in freezer and then washing by hands, into my next cleansing in the craft challenge!! :rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

That’s so funny @Solasta_Amore! I guess I did the challenge entry this morning. Lol!

8 Likes

Because it’s pretty?

Lol, but I am the same way. I have one that is just a scrap of black velvet that I use for my travel altar. I think I paid roughly $1 USD at walmart for it. I still get upset when I spill stuff on it. :joy: :joy: :joy:

8 Likes

It’s not about the price, it’s about the connection :blush: :revolving_hearts:

9 Likes

Just plain old biochemist, lol. And I’m not great with chemistry! My focus was in molecular genetics. But as CelestiaMoon stated, you don’t want to use alcohol/acetone on most of the pre-made altar cloths as they are usually made with synthetic fibers.

And Dawn is my best friend @CelestiaMoon! I use it to get rid of fleas off my animals as well. Much more gentle than flea shampoos.

9 Likes

Exactly!! Some of my favorites are my cheapest.

8 Likes

Thank you @Amaris_Bane and @CelestiaMoon I have learned from my mistake! Lol! No more alcohol on cloth.

8 Likes

Solasta_Amore
Cleaning is cleaning. You could easily present that in your challenge.
Garnet

8 Likes

I was actually planning on doing that, dear heart @Garnet! :heart: I might post a before & after pic like @Ostara did! :blush: :grin:

8 Likes

Looks good as new! :grinning: :+1: :sparkles:

I’m glad your cleaning was a big success, Ostara! :blush:

Amaris is right! I was having wax difficulties the other day and I think it was Siofra who suggested the freezer- it really does work! I was using just boiling water before, but I do think the freezer is a better first step. I like the idea of combining the two methods- it sounds like the best strategy all around! :grinning: :ice_cube: :fire:

Hahaha omg Solasta :joy::+1: When writing the challenge I was picturing calm, meditative cleaning, maybe to some relaxing music- but panicked and frantic cleaning of a favorite magickal item is still very much cleaning! :joy:

Gotta do what you gotta do to protect and save your favorite Craft tools :laughing: :+1: :heart:

Oh- this! Well said! :clap::blush:

7 Likes

I love this, makes me think of those little comic strips… Cleansing in the Craft: left panel, how you were dreaming it would look, right panel, how it ended up looking in practice… :rofl:

8 Likes

Hahaha I am happy I made you laugh, my fairy! :wink: :smiling_face: :kissing_heart: :two_hearts:

Shit! Celestia, you are tooo good! :joy: :rofl: Looove you two!
:kissing_heart: :revolving_hearts: :sparkles:

7 Likes