1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, divided
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
1 ½ tablespoons hot water
Purple, green, and yellow sugar sprinkles

Directions:

Step 1

Combine milk, yeast, and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Stir well, and set in a warm place for about 10 minutes. In another bowl, combine butter and the next 3 ingredients; stir in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.

Step 2

Combine flours, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and kosher salt in a large mixing bowl. Add milk mixture and butter mixture, and beat, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons flour if the dough is too sticky until the dough is smooth and forms a shaggy mass. (It should remain soft.)

Step 3

Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for about 1 hour.
Step 4

Punch the dough down, and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12- x 8-inch rectangle. Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 4 teaspoons of sugar, and sprinkle evenly over the dough. Roll dough into a log, and cut it into 12 equal pieces. Place pieces into paper baking cups in a muffin pan; let rest for 30 minutes.

Step 5

Preheat oven to 375°. Brush cupcake tops with beaten egg, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack. Combine powdered sugar, water, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cupcakes, and top with sprinkles.

Recipe courtesy of Louisiana native David Guas of Bayou Bakery, Coffee Bar & Eatery in Arlington, Virginia.

Foud through the website My Recipes.com.

9 Likes

These sound so yummy! I LOVE lemon zest oh my goodness. Especially blended with sugar. :drooling_face:

8 Likes

Hee! There’s cinnamon too! Glad you liked it!

8 Likes

They sound so yummy! They would make me so sick (Celiac) but they sound soooo good! I’d make them for my husband but he’s an insulin dependent diabetic :joy::woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Goodness, is it really Mardi Gras tomorrow? Wow! These sound like such a fun way to celebrate the occasion- thanks, @Amethyst, for another great recipe, and wishing a very Happy Mardi Gras to everyone who celebrates! :partying_face: :performing_arts: :sparkles::cupcake:

5 Likes

I’m so sorry if I tempted you, @Nixi! Any kind of recipe that I can post for you?

Yeppers, it’s almost March. Time is flying by. Glad you liked the recipe, love! Hope you’re having a good day!

6 Likes

You’re not kidding, my friend! Is it just me or does it feel like every year that goes by goes faster and faster? It’s rather disorienting haha :sweat_smile:

Awwww thank you, Amethyst! :heart: Same to you- hope you’re having a good one too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

It’s quite alright but somebody has to make them and have an extra one for me

Hmm… Something gluten free, dairy free, low sugar but no Stevia, preferably with Cocoa, or just find a Unicorn, both are just as easy :joy: Actually the :unicorn: might be easier :rofl:

4 Likes

I did find a recipe for Unicorn :unicorn: cookies!

Gluten, Paleo, & Vegan recipe! Only 4 ingredients… although 1 is questionable for what you listed :joy:

Unicorn Cookies

4 Likes

Oh my goodness @Susurrus you are the best :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It looked the closest to what you wrote & no cooking per se! :unicorn:

4 Likes

Oh my gosh, @Susurrus! Thank you for coming through for me! The unicorn cookies look great!

4 Likes

Anytime @Amethyst! I saw the reply & couldn’t resist. :laughing:

4 Likes

Always a plus and my 4 year old will love them and he’ll think he’s getting away with something when he grabs one from the fridge. We just won’t tell m my husband how much cashew butter is :laughing: :unicorn:
Side note, the coconut flour and cashews make them great for nursing mums trying to boost production

4 Likes

Ooo… sounds like a winner! You’re very welcome @Nixi & @Amethyst! :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes