Miss Brown's Praline Cookies

Hope y’all are having a good holiday! I woke up to snow this morning so it’s really magical looking out my window. One last Friday recipe and then I’ll stick to doing recipes on Mondays.

Miss Brown’s Praline Cookies

Level: Easy
Total: 2 hr (includes chilling and cooling times)
Active: 45 min
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

Cookies:

1 3/4 cups chopped pecans plus 24 pecan halves, for topping
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (see Cook’s Note)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine salt

Praline Sauce:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup whole milk

Directions:

For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Arrange the chopped pecans on half of the prepared baking sheet and place the pecan halves on the other half. Bake the pecans until toasted, about 10 minutes. When done, set aside to cool, keeping the chopped pecans and pecan halves separate.

In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with an electric mixer. Add 1 egg at a time, beating to combine, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture in 2 batches, beating well to combine. Fold in the toasted chopped pecans.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. With an ice-cream scoop, scoop 1 1/2-tablespoon round of dough onto the prepared baking sheets (making sure you leave at least 1 inch of space between each). Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Chilling the dough helps prevent it from spreading during baking.

After your dough chills for at least an hour, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes, then bake the cookies until slightly golden brown around the edges, 11 to 12 minutes (12 to 13 minutes for crispier cookies). Add a pecan half to the middle of each cookie and cool to room temperature.

For the praline sauce: While the cookies are cooling, add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and milk to a medium saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil, whisking continuously. Boil and whisk for 3 minutes more, or until the sauce is thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Let cool for 4 to 5 minutes.

Drizzle the sauce over the cookies before serving. The cookies and any leftover praline sauce will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days stored separately. Spoon leftover sauce over ice cream or stir into hot coffee.

Cook’s Note:

When measuring flour, we spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess. (Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods.)

5 Likes

You’re killing me with all of these cookies lady! I need a new binder for my recipes and separators! :rofl:

3 Likes

No cookies on Monday! I have a champagne and strawberry cheesecake recipe for the holiday.

3 Likes

Ooh those sound good too!

4 Likes

They do, don’t they? :drooling_face:

3 Likes

OMG I love Cheesecake and we recently found out that so does my daughter. So I will definitely stay tuned for that recipe!

3 Likes

It’s got champagne in it, that I do know. I’ll have to look and see if it’s cooked out or not. I wouldn’t want your daughter getting tipsy if she ate more than one piece!

2 Likes

I would make a kid friendly version for her. I could call them Shirley Temple Pralines

2 Likes

Pralines are a gift from the Gods. Another would be a Pecan Log from Stuckeys.

2 Likes

LOL. The Cheesecake has champagne. The Pralines are safe.

2 Likes

I get temped every once in a while to order some Stuckey’s Pecan Logs but I can’t handle that much sugar. Because I would eat it all, none stop.

2 Likes

Hope you had a fun holiday, @Amethyst! Thanks for sharing all these tempting treats :drooling_face::two_hearts:

And what’s this I hear? “Champagne and Strawberry Cheesecake”!? :star_struck: I ate an entire cheesecake over the weekend- and I am ready for more! :joy: Cheesecake is just too delicious to pass up :yum:

1 Like

It’s got Strawberries in the recipe first so I’d guess there’s more of them than champagne. LOL. But yep, that’s what I’m planning on today. Glad you liked the cookies too, I have oodles of cookie recipes found. It just that the cheesecake sounded very New Year’s Eve to me.

1 Like

What? You can order them?

2 Likes

They have them on Amazon.

1 Like

Maybe some Cakes and Ale ritual I’ll use a Stuckey’s Pecan Log. What would be a good drink with that?
May you never thirst, may you never go hungry; for a real pecan log from the sunny south.

2 Likes

LOL! I’m sure an Icee would pair perfectly with a pecan log.

2 Likes

Sweet Tea served in Dixie Cups.

2 Likes

PERFECT! :rofl:

1 Like