Colour associations: Light Blue, White
Elemental association: Water
Crystal association: Onyx, Jet
Deity associations: Hagal, Heimallr, Urd
Herbal association: Nightshade, Lily of the Valley
Tree association: Yew, Ash, Elder
Astrological associations: Leo, Aquarius, Saturn
Tarot association: World, Tower, Death
Magical uses: Protection, Luck, Quick Transformations, Succes in Navigating Difficult Situations, Break unhealthy patterns.
Keywords: Destruction, Chaos, Interference, Misfortune, Transformation, Challenge, Clarification, Jotun.

A few more passages from Lisa Chamberlain’s book for reference:

“The first rune of Hagal’s Aett translates to “hail,” and points to the fact that we cannot always control our circumstances. Even with all of the technology we possess in modern times, Nature can step in at any moment with destructive forces that flatten cities and even countries. Hailstorms may be brief and localized compared to larger natural disasters, but the balls of ice that pelt the ground can leave destruction in their wake, injuring people and animals and destroying entire crops. This certainly would have spelt disaster for any ancient community living off of the land. Hagalaz signifies these forces of chaos that cannot be controlled, whether they come in the form of sweeping disaster, illness, or simply unexpected problems or disruptions that interfere with your progress toward a goal. You cannot control or “fix” this interference—in other words, resistance is futile. While this may be a frustrating time, know that your course is being corrected for reasons beyond your understanding. You may be being forced into taking a new approach, which will become clear with patience and perseverance, as well as an ability to analyze your situation without attachment to the outcome.”

“If the reading is generally positive, then the chaos may be interpreted at the lower end of the spectrum—a temporary interruption rather than an unexpected, life-altering development. If the runes close to Hagalaz are negative, then the trouble may be more severe or have long-lasting implications. If your reading is about a new project or endeavour, you may not want to start just yet.”

“Additional Meanings
Hail is a temporary phenomenon, beginning and ending as water in a liquid state.
Hagalaz can signify a significant change that may be rocky at first, but ultimately
the transformation that results from this experience will leave you better off.
Important shifts are taking place for you, whether materially, emotionally, or
spiritually. But for new creation to occur, what is old must be dismantled.
Hagalaz has no reversed meaning.”

This Rune is often referred to as the Chaos Rune because of it’s ties to natures destructive power and the ordered Chaos of energy. But it also represents transformations and needed changes and that’s what I focused on today while pondering the Rune. Change isn’t always bad, sometimes it’s just different :heartpulse:

8 Likes

The Chaos rune!!! What a fascinating rune to learn about- the three tarot cards it corresponds with make a very interesting trio:

Reading through this helpful information, this rune sounds like a compass that could lead you towards great blessings or wild calamity :compass: I’m already a fan of Hagalaz!

Thanks so much for sharing this, @Liisa! :heart:

4 Likes

Just jotted this down and now I’m waiting for today’s as I get ready for the cab. I’m going to see my Dr. Nothing bad, just a routine appt. Thanks @Liisa :sparkling_heart::tulip:

4 Likes

@BryWisteria that’s such a good analogy! I think that’s mostly what it represents, that raw power can create, transform or destroy depending on how it is being used or manifested :heartpulse: Order through chaos :heartpulse:

@christina4 hope everything went well at the Dr today :heartpulse: I only have a few more things to do tonight then I can settle at the computer and get it typed, so excited :star_struck: they are far too long to type on my phone :joy: I’m carving my wand tonight :grin:

4 Likes

That sounds exciting! Please show me afterwards :relaxed: and yes everything want fine at the Dr. It was mostly poking and prodding and blood work. I have to return in two weeks. That’s all.

2 Likes