Monday's Rune draw - Ingwaz

Rune name: Ingwaz
I’ll be back later with more info :heart:

Information gathered and Intuition felt :nerd_face:
Other historical names: Inguz, Enguz, Ing
English letter association: ng (as in wing)
Pronunciation: Eeng-wahz
Rune number: 22
Polarity: Male
Colour associations: Yellow, Black
Elemental associations: Earth, Fire
Crystal associations: Amber, Clear Quartz
Diety associations: Freyr, Ing, Hermod
Herbal associations: Prunella
Tree associations: Apple
Astrological associations: Aquarius, Venus, Cancer
Tarot associations: Judgement
Magical uses: Fertility, Bringing a Situation to an End, Building and Releasing Magickal Energy, Protection, Passion
Keywords: Fertility, Male Procreative Force, Channeling Energy, Completion, Safety

A few more passages from Lisa Chamberlain’s book for reference:

“Ingwaz is the rune of the fertility god Ing (also known as Ingwaz) and is associated with masculine sexuality and male potency. This is the springtime energy of plant life emerging after the depths of winter, and the procreation of all life on Earth. Depending on the context of the reading, drawing Ingwaz may indicate a healthy and hearty sexual relationship. However, it can also refer more generally to procreative energy being channelled through specific means, such as a project, a business endeavour, or a journey. Whatever is propelling you forward in a positive way at the moment, Ingwaz is acknowledging and confirming that the energy behind it is potent and heading for substantial results.”

“As a related meaning, Ingwaz also symbolizes completion. An old phase of your life is coming to an end, freeing up the energy for new phenomena to enter your experience. Problems are resolved or about to be solved, and great relief follows. Alternatively, Ingwaz may be signalling that you are reaching your full potential in the matter at hand and that it’s time to let go and let the situation play itself out. Trust that you have done the necessary work—the energy you’re feeling around this is ultimately positive, and relief is in sight. Ingwaz is widely considered a highly auspicious rune, signalling a major event or turning point in your life that leads to satisfying results. A dream may very well be coming true.”

“Additional Meanings
Ing is also a god of the home and hearth, and so Ingwaz indicates safety and a loving family environment. Your home and everyone in it is protected. If you were feeling anxious about some kind of threat to your well-being in this regard, you can relax. Enjoy a sense of peace, prosperity, and satisfaction with your life at this time. This is indeed a rune of good fortune.”

Ingwaz has no reversed meaning.

I had the worst toothache today and it really clouded my concentration on today’s Rune :mask: But I did notice the link between this Rune and the Male energy of Beltane, when the Horned God has been reborn again impregnates the Goddess with male procreative energy to give us new growth into the Spring and beyond to the Harvest :heartpulse:

Additional Passages from:

Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes , Chamberlain Publications, Santa Barbara, CA, 2018.

10 Likes

The entire time I was reading about Ingwaz I kept getting Green Man/Horned God feels :deer: :green_heart: - I’m glad I wasn’t the only one! I agree completely- the fact that this rune symbolizes springtime energy, masculine sexuality, and the cycle of old life coming to an end all corresponds so well with both the Horned God and Beltane celebrations :raised_hands: .

You tie these in so well with current happenings, @Liisa! :grin: Beautifully explored- thank you so much for the wisdom on Ingwaz! :heart:

7 Likes

I liked this Rune as well :slight_smile: I take no credit Beltane energy was already all around me when I drew this one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thanks for the insight on this rune, Lisa!!

In your recent study of runes have you found anything about the Aetts (or aettir)?

This rune (Ingwaz) seems to be in the 3rd Aett (Tyr’s Aett)

Here’s some mor einformation about it, it’s a bit long but super interesting: The Aettir in Magick

8 Likes

Thank you for the link :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: yeah the Aetts seem to be a part of both the Elder Futhark and Anglo-Saxon Futhorc. Although the symbols for each set of Runes are drawn the same way with only very minute differences :slight_smile:
There are also Runes that are used solely as an Alphabet called the Younger Futhark, they have no magickal or divination purposes they are just for writing with Younger Futhark Alphabet)

Each Aett seems to relate to different aspects of existence and the Universe and how we perceive it. I don’t know a lot about The Tarot but am I right in thinking that they also have different sets (or Aetts) in the deck that represent different areas as well? :heartpulse: Blessed Be :heartpulse:

6 Likes

Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem
This is the Poem I mentioned in one of my other posts :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks! The complete poem is a wealth of wisdom and lore. It’s really fascinating

You are correct about the sets in the deck. They would be the four suits:

• Cups = Emotions, feelings, relationships and matters of the heart
  • Pentacles = Career, work, finances and practical matters
  • Swords = The intellect, conversation, truth and matters of the mind
  • Wands = Motivation, energy, inspiration and matters of the soul

And the Major Arcana is the initiatory journey of the Fool. :tarot_card:

I see an interesting parallel with the three aettir as realms of meaning for the runes.

7 Likes

There are a few similarities for sure, the tarot just has more cards in a set than the Runes have in an Aett :slight_smile: Once iv finished all of the Runes ill see about finding out as much as I can about the Aetts and make a post for each one with the condensed key points for each :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It’s really helping me learn and connect with my practices in divination :heartpulse:

4 Likes

That would be an awesome project to deepen the learning beyond the meanings of the runes. :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing, I would like to know where I can learn the beautiful runes?

4 Likes

This rune (Ingwaz) is just one of the many runes that have been explored! You can visit the many other posts by rune master Lisa and other rune enthusiasts shared in the forums by clicking here.

Runes are a fascinating aspect of magick and there are so many to explore! Happy rune learning :open_book: :sparkles:

3 Likes

@BryWisteria I don’t know about Runemaster lol, but I do love learning about them :heartpulse: Thank you :heartpulse:

@1112 this is the book I have Runes for Beginners and it has been very helpful in learning the Runes and their meanings and uses :heartpulse: I have done some researching online as well but that can get a little confusing the longer you look. I’ve been feeling more confident with them lately so if you have any questions I would happily try to answer them for you :heartpulse:

4 Likes