My Darleeng Intro

Welcome Darleeng! I live in the bible belt also and was brought up Baptist. I have been a witch for 2 years and very few people know that I am a witch because I would be ostracized in my small town if the wrong people found out, and I would also lose my job. My boss is a Deacon in the Baptist church, so that’s where I’m at on this. You can make a tiny travel altar and take it with you outside when you want to be alone.

16 Likes

@Darleeng hi :wave: I’m Susurrus, a moderator here at Spells8. I’m happy that you found us :smiling_face:

That is a tough spot to be in especially after you’ve lost faith in the Christian beliefs whether in part or as a whole. I remember when it was me but my family was Roman Catholic :flushed: I was also a teenager which didn’t help in any way. I would say maybe right now you’ve taken a big step with reaching out to a community! Everyone here is very helpful & supportive of whatever questions you may have, things you’d like to share or talk about… even if it’s more personal to you. Please feel free to ask any questions or share anything with us, there’s A Sacred Space for more personal topics.

As far as an interest in witchcraft :thinking: I would start with maybe the courses to kind of learn about different things to with witchcraft, check out the Weekly Witchy Challenge even if it’s just to peek at different ideas or practices…

I don’t want to overwhelm you with information or anything :laughing: I would absolutely keep it simple though & take your time. I look forward to seeing you throughout the forum! :infinite_roots:

14 Likes

@Darleeng Just want to say hello. I’m Tracy from England, welcome to the family :sparkling_heart:

14 Likes

Thanks for the advice. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in my situation

14 Likes

Thank you so much. Glad to be here

14 Likes

Thank you. I decided to start with the Daily Devotional in the morning since I can do that with my headphones in. Glad to be here

13 Likes

Hi, @Darleeng! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots:

I’m sad to say I don’t have much advice. Despite coming from a Methodist background, my Mom was supportive of me being pagan and even bought my first book for me. How much privacy do you have in your room? Do you have a big backyard?

13 Likes

welcome to the Witch family :grinning: :grinning:
it’s hard to follow a path that you don’t feel comfortable with, like Faith in something that’s over…
every piece that leaves, a piece of Magic will come to fill it
welcome to the forum
whatever questions you have, we are here to help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Merry meet!

I’m Kat and am currently located in North Carolina. I found the practice over 20 years ago but lost my way for a while. I found my way home a couple of years ago and shortly thereafter found this amazing group of people!! I am a fairly eclectic Green witch with a deep interest in tarot, runes, herbalism, and moon magic. My deities are Artemis (she’s been with me since the beginning), The Morrigan, and Hekate, a recent guide in my life.

I do understand about being a witch and stuck in the closet, which is where I am at the moment as well. In my case, I’ve found ways to practice and make it work for my life. I don’t have a dedicated altar set up but rather have a multi-use space that can double as my altar when I need it to be. My items are otherwise tucked out of sight or inconspicuously out on bookshelves, depending on what it is. I do love @Ostara 's suggestion of a travel altar. I have several, one in my purse, and one in my work bag for those times when I’m out of the house and still need to connect. You can see one of mine here - Travel Altar

We’re glad to have you here. :purple_heart: Make yourself comfortable, explore, and feel free to ask questions!

:herb: :bow_and_arrow: :hekate_wheel: :crescent_moon:

15 Likes

Ooo as @Ostara & @Artemisia mentioned a travel altar & that is a great idea :bulb:

Example of Journal as a Travel Altar
:map: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magick on the Go!
:place_of_worship: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - All About Altars!
All Altars! Feel Free to Share Yours with the Coven! :infinite_roots:

There may be other ideas within these threads as well for ways to have one too.

Very early on when I returned to my interest & figuring out my beliefs & practice, I was much more in the closet than I am now. I slowly was open about it with my household. More 1 member at a time really :laughing: Starting with my dogs :rofl:

Now & for quite some time, my space is almost exclusively in my bedroom. It’s more comfortable for me & when we have guests I can shut the door :door: without worrying too much. Depending on who is here or what is going on, I might do something in the kitchen or handmake something in the living room.

I don’t mention it or practice per se… but I did find ways to practice away from my home or outside that aren’t completely saying I’m a witch. I don’t get into my specific beliefs or outright say anything. I suppose a “Don’t ask, don’t tell…” type of thing in my area & with people around me. My father & brother have no idea & it hasn’t really come up either.

When I was younger it was my Mom who actually piqued my interest in it. She taught me a very little about Sun :sun: signs then she was the 1st to get me any crystals :gem:

When I started actually practicing or mentioning that I was in any way… the very Catholic family wasn’t accepting & it became a big thing so I had to stop for a while & life happened :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

@Darleeng Welcome to the family!! I am also new In my path. I went to a Christian church in my childhood and lost my faith around age 13. I spent all that time until now wandering lost on this plane. A few months ago I found my path. I’m starting to hear and listen to my intuition and my ancestors for guidance. If you eventually decide to talk to your dad he may or may not accept it. My dad doesn’t accept it and told me I need Jesus.lol so. I will say that I always was interested in death, afterlife, paranormal, cryptids, and aliens. So my want to make my life something more for me to enjoy and really be able to dig deep, repair, and start growth . I had to take care of me. For me witchcraft is many things but it is also self-care. Doing what’s right for me. So if you have any trouble with the family don’t try to sound like u want to change their mind. The only thing you can say oh well did you know there are many misconceptions about being a pagans. I heard it’s better received by other when we say pagan instead of witchcraft because some people were taught such harsh views of us lovely witches.
A little about me, I’m from Indiana. I’m an eclectic witch. I love animals, nature, gardening, Spells8 and water/ocean,(been called a mermaid)can’t keep me out the water. No, no no. Lol. Def check out the lessons if you haven’t those have helped me immensely and is a wonderful guide. The moderators do an amazing job. Not to mention all the lovely witches. Welcome

13 Likes

Honestly, I’m very similar. If you are paying attention or have the same interests, you’ll notice but otherwise, it’s not the focus of my conversation or attire. I don’t put my religious beliefs on display. What I do and believe is for me, not for people’s admiration or disdain. But that’s just what I’m comfortable with and what works best for me in my situation. :green_heart:

13 Likes

Yes this is a very good (much easier way to put it) I may wear different jewelry & have a couple of tops, but nothing that necessarily puts any of it on display in a definitive way. My different jewelry may have some crystals in some way or other symbols, knots, designs… nothing that would necessarily say I am a witch or pagan… Even my white hoodie, while it’s witchy not anything blatant either. It’s most comfortable for me that way & around here. Unless you pay attention or have the same or similar interests, it isn’t anything noticeable. Even then it could just be something I’m doing, especially anything with my firepit. At the times I’ve had my chandelier out with the mini cauldrons, the time of year wouldn’t make anyone think twice about it. Anything else, my husband will just say that I’m making it smell good or helping keep the pesky bugs at bay, something along those lines. I’m getting rid of something that can be burned… we don’t go into detail really when I happen to be doing something with the fire pit out in my backyard.

I don’t completely understand the amount of people taken aback or judgy about people’s beliefs here, because we have people from all over the world… but it does happen still in my local community.

Crystals seem to be a more trendy commodity here in very recent years. Smaller crystal shops have popped up over the last maybe 3 years or even less. I also think living in a very touristy area as well as having more environment-conscious rules/regulations, has made it a bit easier plus living, basically on the National Seashore & with various conservation areas (local & federal) is more helpful for me being able to do different things.

13 Likes

@Darleeng Welcome :hugs: I’m glad you found your way here. Hopefully some support and guidance from like minded people will help. I’m sorry you’re stuck in the broom closet. I can’t imagine what that must feel like.
This is a judgment free zone. We are truly a family. If you need to vent, some advice, or need to know someone’s got your back, we’re all here for you! :heart::people_hugging:
Welcome home :house_with_garden: my lovely :blush::heart:

12 Likes

Welcome, @Darleeng! It’s lovely to meet you. :black_heart: I’m Katerina, from Australia. I’ve personally never been inside a church before, so I still haven’t figured out if I’ll burst into flames on entry or not. :smile: But I’m excited to welcome you into this wonderful space. :sparkles:

12 Likes

Hello @Darleeng,

I can see you’ve already got some wonderful advice and support, so I’m just stopping by to say hello and welcome! :blush: I’m Bry, one of the moderators here and an Eclectic Witch. It’s a pleasure to meet you :heart:

Please make yourself at home here- you are among magick-loving friends!

Blessed be :sparkles:

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Darleeng :wave:

My name is Megan and I’m one of the moderators here at Spells8 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It’s nice to meet you!

You’ve come to a great place for community, that’s for sure! There are so many wonderful people here from all around the world. We have witches and pagans, Christians and spiritualists - everyone is welcome here.

My advice is to hide things in plain sight! Your altar, if you choose to have one, can be decorations on a bookshelf, for example. Witchcraft is less about what you have and more about what you do, in my opinion. We have a lot of information here in the forum, and @SilverBear created a video series that she shared with us about finding magic in the mundane parts of life. You can find those here!

Quick Witchery for the Modern Witch
Search results for 'quick witchery @SilverBear' - The Spells8 Forum

Those might help give you some ideas and a place to start. Please feel free to make yourself at home!

10 Likes

Welcome! Nice to have you here. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hello :hugs: and Welcome Home :infinite_roots: @Darleeng

I’m so glad you have joined us, I’m Marsha, an Eclectic Solitary Witch, from Colorado. There are a lot of us here who were raised as Christians, including me! I’m also in the broom closet, but the door is kind of open :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Welcome to the family! :people_hugging:

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

9 Likes

Welcome. I am Stormii.
Merry meet and Blessed :honeybee:

8 Likes