My Experience Of Sleep Paralysis

Yesterday I got a Sleep paralysis first time ever in my life, before bed i felt something off so i chanted a prayer and casted a circle of protection around menso I was sleeping alone in my bedroom and i felt someone entering my room and started snatching my blanket I started moving my leg as fast as possible but they were unable to move after which a black figure with white eyes started coming closer to me and to my chest but as soon as it came on my cheat it vanished if anyone know how to prevent sleep paralysis please let me know I never want to experience it again in my life.

16 Likes

I have never experienced sleep paralysis that I know of…

I did find an article dedicated to sleep paralysis which has some treatments that you can implement yourself:

What Are the Treatments for Sleep Paralysis?

A first step in treating sleep paralysis is speaking with a doctor in order to identify and address underlying problems that may be contributing to the frequency or severity of episodes. For example, this could involve treatment for narcolepsy or steps to better manage sleep apnea.

Overall, there is limited scientific evidence about the most effective treatment for sleep paralysis. Many people are unaware that the condition is relatively common and thus feel ashamed after episodes. As a result, acknowledgment and normalization of their symptoms by a doctor can be beneficial.

Because of the connection between sleep paralysis and general sleeping problems, improving sleep hygiene is a common focus in preventing sleep paralysis.

There are a number of sleep hygiene techniques that can contribute to better sleep quality and more consistent nightly rest.

• Establish a routine: Follow the same schedule for going to bed and waking up every day, including on weekends. A soothing pre-bed routine can help you get comfortable and relaxed.
  • Optimize your sleep space: Outfit your bed with the best mattress and pillow for your needs. It is also useful to design your bedroom to have limited intrusion from light or noise.
  • Curb substance use: Reduce alcohol and caffeine intake, especially in the evening.
  • Remove distractions: Put away electronic devices, including smartphones, for at least an hour before bed.

It also sounds like you had a form of hallucination sleep paralysis:

Hallucinations during sleep paralysis fall into three categories.

• Intruder hallucinations: These hallucinations involve the perception of a dangerous person or presence in the room.
  • Chest pressure hallucinations: Also called incubus hallucinations, these episodes may incite feelings of suffocation or the sensation that someone is sitting on your chest. These frequently occur in tandem with intruder hallucinations.
  • Vestibular-motor (V-M) hallucinations: V-M hallucinations can include feelings of movement, such as flying, or out-of-body sensations.

The complete article goes over what sleep paralysis is, symptoms, causes, types, & treatments

→ Sleep Foundation: What is Sleep Paralysis?

I hope that helps you a bit; it could be an isolated occurrence, but if you find that it’s recurrent, you may want to keep a sleep log of some kind & whether or not it continues to happen. If it does, you may want to include dates & things that had happened that day or before you had gone to bed that night.

12 Likes

Ooh, @tracyS this sounds like your experience. Who was it? Where did I see it?

@Kiash She had something so comforting to say about it. I wish my memory was better.

11 Likes

@georgia The Demonolatry Club (Please Read Content Warning)
Click on Alu.
Not sure if it was this beastie, but there’s the experience. Hope it helps :green_heart:

@Kiash If it was this beastie, he’s not harmful, scary yes, harmful no. You have to relax, and tell yourself he’s not going to hurt me. Also Alu doesn’t come all the time, I think he’s visited me maybe 2/3 times over a lifetime, I’m 53. So if this happens alot, definitely see a doctor as it probably isn’t Alu. @Susurrus has put a lovely post up about it.

This is good advice. Alu comes when I’m extremely stressed, since I’ve managed my anxiety better, I haven’t had a visit for a long while. Maybe worth trying some of these routines :green_heart:

Sending you positive energy lovely :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

My partner experiences sleep paralysis quite a lot and have mentioned a dark figure with bright eyes standing in the corner of the room, who then comes closer. I have actually hear them “scream” althougn its through a closed mouth! I wonder if this is the same figure :thinking:?

I’m unsure whether or not i have experienced sleep paralysis. I have had experiences where I feel that I have “woken up” but my eyes are still shut and when I try, i cannot open them. Its like they are glued shut. This used to send me into a panic but i have learned to tell myself “relax and youll be fine”. When I do this, i can then open my eyes. Not sure if this sleep paralysis or something else.

13 Likes

I had that just this morning and have had lots in the past. I understand how terrifying it can be. I think theres been some good suggestions here already but just wanted you to know your not alone, and youve got a great community here to support you.

14 Likes

I get this once in a while. It’s the same physics at work. Basically, your body uses sleep paralysis to keep you from getting up, walking around without control, and possibly getting hurt. It’s a safety measure that sleep walkers have bypassed. If you wake before the subconscious can shut the safety off, you feel paralyzed; and the more stressed you are about it, the less access the subconscious has to the off switch. Relaxing at the moment of awareness works. It feels freaky, but you get used to it after a while.

13 Likes

Yes i used to completely panic. Now i just tell myself what is happening and can actually “go back to sleep” and then fully awaken. Its now an inconvenience more than anything and find myself thinking “oh, this again” rather than showing any panic. I think i have just trained myself to know that it will “fix” itself.

13 Likes

Young folks like @Kiash need to hear our experiences. I hope he hasn’t shut down like the thread, just because he got an answer. There’s always more to learn!

I’m glad you’re finding normalcy in your experiences. It is a comfort knowing we are not alone.

13 Likes

That sounds soooo scary :fearful: :flushed: :grimacing:

12 Likes

My mom had this few times it held her down then vanish. My mom couldn’t breathe as she was held down by that dark shadow. The nickname for this. Was the 'hag"

9 Likes