My first contact with a coven

Like I already said: I am quite curious. So I’ve been surfing the internet a lot and I found out that there’s a coven in my home town!
So I mailed them and the guy in charge asked me if I could call him. It already started quite strange, he was a bit vague and a bit hesitant. But then he started talking. The training was free but the next thing he said: We celebrate the sabbats in the nude! Because womens clothing catch fire very often. (I don’t wear dresses, only pants so I really don’t see the problem). Well at least he was quick and honest about it. But something in his voice gave me goosebumps and made the hair in my neck rise. So I cut the phone call short, thanked him and I hung up.
I’m absolutely not a prude (hey I’m Dutch, we’re shameless people😂), but the way he talked made several alarm bells go off.
I think I dodged a bullet here :grimacing:

9 Likes

Always trust your gut! Those instincts are there for a reason!

9 Likes

Oh wow, you might have dodged a bullet for sure! It’s a bit weird that he asked you to call him and saying right off the bat that they celebrate the sabbats in the nude – also called skyclad. :thinking: I know that there are a few people online that have written and talked abou red flags when joining a coven. This is probably one of those times for you so I’m glad you trusted your intuition!

8 Likes

Egads. I know skyclad is a thing, but I always thought it was for covens who had been together for a while and learned to trust each other. I’m glad you got out of that!

9 Likes

All of that :point_up: Yikes! Good for you for listening to your gut!

8 Likes

If your gut said run, then it is well, that you listened.

Another thought though? As a guy, if a female asked about my coven and skyclad was a thing people in the coven did, I would be very upfront about it. That might also be a way to weed out the insincere and limit numbers.

That said, always listen to your gut. If you got a bad vibe, then that coven was not for you.

9 Likes

@anon87969570

Yes that’s true I was glad he mentioned it right off the bat.

But still like Amethyst mentioned: skyclad is more for coven members that know and trust eachother. And the reason was very strange as well: because they use an open fire the women’s clothing used to catch fire in the past. That was the reason as to why they now go skyclad. Maybe a better solution was to suggest to adjust your clothing so there won’t be a fire hazard…

Anyway, I think I made the right choice and just stick to this little online coven of Spells8!

9 Likes

I don’t have any issue with groups that want to practice skyclad (it’s not for me, but hey! To each coven their own) but it does strike me as strange that he was so quick to try to justify why, and that the reason was “because women’s clothing is very flammable”. Is men’s clothing inherently anti-flammable? And is the first response to fire safety issues really just everybody strip down? :thinking: :fire:

Yeah. I think my alarm bells would have been ringing too.

Good for you for trusting your instincts! :+1: Hopefully another opportunity to join a local coven will come along. And in the meantime, you’ve got us here in your online coven :grin: :heart:

Blessed be, Martine! :sparkles:

9 Likes

@BryWisteria exactly my thoughts! Instead of taking your clothes of you could suggest not to wear big skirts or dresses! Such a strange explanation!
There are not that many (public) covens in the Netherlands and even less near my home town. But I’m more then ok with this lovely online coven.
Hopefully I will start a online training soon by very renowned Dutch witch Lunadea. :blush:

8 Likes

Yes, that’s my thought too. :thinking: There are more ways to contain flammable clothing rather than just saying nope, no clothes for you! I’m glad you trusted your intuition with that one :clap:

Oh, how awesome! Fingers crossed for you that this starts soon and you enjoy your training! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Im so sorry that was your first interaction but so happy that you recognized the flashing red flags! :triangular_flag_on_post:

I’m glad you trusted your gut & I hope your path with Lunadea starts & progresses well for you!

8 Likes

Like others here have said, sky clad is more for covens who know and trust one another. And like Bry pointed out, why do those members now have to wear nothing as first response to clothes catching on fire? Shouldn’t the first thought be to wear different clothing or change the ritual?

You defiantly did the right thing!

9 Likes

That sounds really cool, Martine- I hope the online training is everything you are hoping for and more! Do you know when it will begin? Please feel free to tell us all about it and what you learned (if you want to, of course!) :heart:

Blessed be and happy studies! :sparkles::blush:

7 Likes

End of March, but there’s a waitinglist. So I hope that I will be lucky and get in. The training is for a year, so it’s a real commitment and isn’t free (because of the many applications) But I don’t mind, I know she isn’t a fraud. I’ve read her books and I love her teachings.
If I do get in, I will let you know how it is!

8 Likes

The end of March will be here before we know it- I’ve got my fingers crossed for you that you will be able to get in to the training, Martine! :crossed_fingers: :blush::heart: It sounds like the teacher is a very talented and popular figure in the community, so even if it doesn’t work out this time, hopefully there would be more opportunities and training in the future too.

Thank you so much! :heart:

Wishing you all the best- Blessed be! :raised_hands: :two_hearts:

7 Likes

@BryWisteria
Yes!!! I’m in! The training is for a year and starts officially April 3rd. But the Hexcademy is open, so I think I will be very busy, sifting through all the goodies and knowledge and tidbits there! I’m so excited!!!

8 Likes

Woohooo!!! Congrats, Martine- that’s awesome that you go into the training! :partying_face: :heart:

You must be excited and I have to say that I’m excited too haha :grin: I can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

Good luck, blessed studying, and please feel free to share your thoughts on the course as you go. I hope it’s everything you wish for and more! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Definitely sounds like you dodged a bullet!

And to add in as I got to the bottom of the posts:

Congratulations!! Enjoy your years of study :grin:

7 Likes

Agreed. It sends off warning bells how he presented it.

7 Likes

Awesome, how exciting! :clap: :tada: I’m so happy for you!

I hope you have an amazing time looking through all of the different things available to you!

6 Likes