My lamp has done something

Hi beautiful people.

I saw something on the arm of my couch and when I looked up i saw that my salt lamp had messed salt. Is this normal :thinking:?

Thanking you in advance :pray:

7 Likes

I do not own a salt lamp, i would like to though.

I found this answer & it seems consistent with ither sites information

How to Care for Himalayan Salt Lamps

"The answer to this is pretty simple. You must keep your salt lamp on and you must keep it warm.

Salt is hygroscopic, which means it will absorb moisture from the air. If you have a salt grinder, have a look at the top of the lid and see if any moisture has gathered around there.

If you are like most, you will find a few moisture droplets sitting there.

Your salt lamp is no different. It will absorb moisture from the air and the best way to overcome it, is to have it turned on at all times.

I also saw to Not put it in a humid room because of salt being hydrosxopic. The actual article goes into more in depth instructions.

Is It Normal for My Himalayan Salt Lamp to Leak?

• IS IT NORMAL FOR MY SALT LAMP TO LEAK WATER?

Yes, it is perfectly normal for your salt lamp to leak water. It occurs due to the natural properties of salt lamps. Salt is hygroscopic, meaning it draws in moisture from the air. For this reason if you leave a salt lamp anywhere, especially out in the open or in humid environments, water from the air will collect some condensation on its exterior, and then slowly evaporate into your air. When it begins to condense, water will drip to the base hence the terms crying, melting, shedding and leaking.

• DID YOU KNOW: A LEAKING SALT LAMP IS A SIGN OF AUTHENTICITY!

If you’re concerned about your salt lamp sweating, remember that is actually a sign of authenticity. The real concern is if it never sweats!

6 Likes

Hi @HollyGray,

I’ve owned Himalyan Salt Lamps and candle holders and I can confirm what Siora shared- they’re known for cleansing the air, but they’re also thirsty little things and like to suck the moisture from the air too :sweat_smile:

When kept in humid/moist environment they can sweat a lot- destroying their bases and any materials they are kept on (especially wood). If you’re unable to dehumidify the air, I would recommend keeping them on a stone base/stone table if you can and wiping them down from time to time to reduce them sweating all over the place lol.

On a more positive note, there are lots of fake Himalayan lamps on the market these days, so if you lamp sweats its a great way to know you have an authentic one! :grin: :+1:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

6 Likes

Thank you @Susurrus and @BryWisteria
Appreciate your help and advice :sunflower:

3 Likes

You’re very welcome, @HollyGray :heart: Good luck with your lovely salt lamp! :blush:

3 Likes

You are very welcome! I hope you have a great day! :heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.