My Moody Tarot Cards

Hello guys,
I have a question- I’ve been using The Green Witch Tarot Cards ( still learning) They have been pretty much on point for the most part. However, sometimes when I ask the deck a couple of questions, it’ll completely give me an answer that is way off base! Not even in the same ball park. ( I’m beginning to think my deck is “Moody” lol.) But, when it begins to warm up, it starts to correlate my questions to the meanings. It’s kinda of distractioning actually. Because it makes me think that I’m just searching for the right answer to come up.

Is this normal for a Tarot deck? Just wondering if anyone has same issues or if I’m doing something wrong?

Thank you for your time.
Blessed be

6 Likes

Hello @walter!

You bring up a great point- and from my own tarot experiences I can agree, decks really do have their own personalities! :laughing:

Since you mentioned that your deck has been pretty on point up to now- my first suggestion is that it may be time to cleanse your deck. Old readings and natural energy can accumulate, muddying up readings and giving your cards a distracted feel. If you haven’t cleaned the cards in a while- now may be a good time! :sparkles:

If you have recently cleansed the deck, then there may be another issue at play here. The cards may be mirroring your own mind. If a question is not clear to the deck, it makes sense that the answer will also lack clarity. Perhaps meditate with your cards and really focus the question at hand for a few minutes before beginning the reading :person_in_lotus_position:

My third and final tip is something I have to constantly remind myself- the deck may know more about a situation than we do! Even if the cards drawn seem completely irrelevant- it is good to question if maybe it is actually our interpretation that is off. As we see in @Amethyst’s lovely tarot haikus- one card can have a host of readings: some traditional and many personal. An “off-reading” could be a good opportunity to look up the card and explore alternative ways to read it :open_book:

It is wonderful to hear you are enjoying the deck- The Green Witch Tarot sounds lovely! Hopefully you can get to the bottom of the moody mystery and get back to on point readings soon :pray:

Good luck and blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

You’re not doing anything wrong :smiley: I think its quite normal for the deck to get a bit moody now and then! I would 2nd what @BryWisteria said and give them a good cleanse :full_moon_with_face:

I reset my deck before cleansing by putting them all in order. I like to cleanse mine with palo santo and charge them under the Full Moon (and sometimes the New Moon!) by popping them in the window sill :white_heart:

We’re a week off the Full Moon but you should still get some good, progressive energy off the First Quarter Moon if you wanted to cleanse and charge tonight. First Quarter is good for removing blockages so that might just be perfect! :dizzy:

Its important to handle them regularly - what @BryWisteria said about meditating with them is a really good idea :smiley: Maybe follow the Spells8 Moon Ritual tonight and hold your cards whilst meditating?

I find if mine don’t answer sometimes its just that they don’t know the answer! Usually if I’m unsure or not 100% committed to the question or a certain path they just cant help me lol. Its annoying, like you say, distracting but you’ll get the right answer once the path is clear or when everything lines up right :100: Sorry if that doesn’t make sense! :rofl:

7 Likes

Hello, Love everyone’s responses . Completely agree that each deck is unique . I cleanse mine before each reading. Before I do anything big with my card I like to sleep with mine in my pillow case with a few crystals . I feel the different decks are for spreads, questions ,different personalities . Try different out of the box ideas to connect before you read them. Connecting is such beautiful feeling.!

8 Likes

@amy3, thank you so much! I placed my deck under my pillow last night with one of my crystals.

7 Likes

@Abs53, thank you very much! Yes, everything you said- it makes complete sense. I will definitely try out your suggestions! I will leave the cards on window sill tonight.

Blessed Be

6 Likes

@BryWisteria, thank you for the great advice. I leave my cards under the full moon every month.( weather permitting) I also, keep them in a sachel with a few pieces of dried up sage. Like i mentioned to @amy3, i put them under my pillow last night. Kinda makes me :joy: because I’ll ask it something and her answer would be something so irrelevant! (I’m like “what are you talking about girl!”) It’s been only lately tho. It just feels like it takes time to warm up. It’s almost, as if the question I ask is for someone else. But, you may be right. My mind has been a bit scattered lately too. That could also be?! I will try to mediate more with them, before a reading. I always ask it guidance, permission, and protection before a start a reading - as well as thank you after I’m done. I’m thinking of buying a different deck. However, I’m so happy with this one.
Thank you!
Blessed be.

7 Likes

These are all great questions Walter, and it’s good that you’re asking them. I agree with basically everything that @BryWisteria has said here about cleansing the deck and possibly getting a reading that doesn’t make sense because the cards know something you don’t.

I’d also like to posit another theory. Sometimes if I use the same deck over and over again, it gets tired. The Spirit of my deck basically says, “Nope. Pick a different deck. I need a break.” Maybe try taking a break from this deck for a while, coming back to it and giving it some love, and working with it again. It might just need to rest :sleeping:

7 Likes

This definitely happens, but I like the answer that Bri gave you:

I like using spreads to analyze something that’s been on my mind through a different light. Even if the cards don’t feel right, at least I had to do some introspection and question myself and my own perspective, which to me is the actual purpose of tarot.

4 Likes

@Francisco, thank you for the great advice/info as well. Been trying to analyze and look at the answers in a retrospective manner. Maybe it’s me that’s not seeing it? To me it’s more confusing, i guess because I’m still learning. I will try tonight again. I’ve only been doing 1-3 card spreads. Maybe it’s time to move on to a 7 card spread. I have a hard time understanding the correlation between the cards. ( But that’s me, still being Green at this tho)

Blessed be.

4 Likes

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to get the readings back to clarity, @walter- nice! :blush::+1: I know it hasn’t been very long yet, but do the cards seem to have their old reliance back?

Francisco raised a really good point that reminded me of Cross-Checking with Different Divination Methods. Clarity is being lost someone along the line- maybe consider double-checking or backing up your readings with another method of divination? If your cards are still being moody, cross-checking may help you pin-point whether it is the cards or something else (lack of meditative focus, bad energy, etc.) blocking your readings :crystal_ball:

And since you mentioned a new deck- your intuition may be going along with @MeganB’s solid advice: it could definitely be time to give this deck a vacation! :flower_playing_cards::beach_umbrella::laughing:

I’m always an enabler when it comes to getting new tarot decks- they are dangerously fun to collect :joy: Do you have a new deck in mind that you are interested in, Walter? :blush:

4 Likes

@BryWisteria, like i mentioned, it feels like sometimes- it just takes time for them to warm up, if that makes any sense-than they start to reveal more clarity. ( Last night i slept with them under my pillow and tonight, i placed them on my window sill as @Abs53 suggested .) Tmrw, i will following @MeganB cleansing techniques and just take it from there .

I do have an old deck that i bought back in my 20’s. I just need to find them, as they are stored away. I’ll be looking on amazon and see if I connect with a certain deck.

Thank you once again, for the great advice!
Blessed be.

4 Likes

I have and use Grimoire of the Green Witch often and respect Ann Moura immensely; however I can not go along with the way she changes the A.E. Waite meanings of the cards. A.E. Waite was tapped into some incredible magick. It came from an obscure German manuscript associated with a woman named Frau Anna Sprengel. Wherever that came from tapped into some amazing energy. So I suggest sticking with the A.E. Waite meanings.

2 Likes

Thank you @john4. Yes, it is different. The art work and nature aspect of her interpretation is what called to me.

2 Likes

The cards look beautiful! That is why I like my favorite decks - artwork. :slightly_smiling_face: Many people, myself and apparently @BryWisteria, like collecting decks but only use one or two for the day to day readings. I almost prefer different cards because the interpretations can be more fluid and up to the interpreter. (This is partly why I am slowly moving to oracle cards and away from tarot.)

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere in the forum - many people focus on Rider-Waite, the textbook definitions, and all the permutations the cards can mean as they interact together. In my personal experience, that steals the magic :mage:, the mystery, the spectacle, of doing a reading. When I complete a reading for someone, even someone that knows their cards well, they walk away feeling like they were part of an event.

As others have already mentioned, each deck seems to have it’s own personality as it interacts with it’s owner. I have a deck in my car that I swear is cursed. :crazy_face: Looking at @janelle’s massive 37 card spread, I actually asked her if one of her decks hated her. :rofl: Maybe cleansings and all the other tricks will work. Maybe it needs to rest. But maybe it just needs a different owner. I’ve seen other divination tools ask for a new owner - usually a friend or family member just starting their own journey.

Only you can decide the best path forward for you and your deck. I wish you the best of luck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@praecog29, thank you for your great advice. I cleansed them and letting them rest. I do have a special connection with them- even though I’m still grasping how to read them. However, i think I may try an oracle deck and see what happens. I haven’t done readings for anyone, just me.
Blessed be.

2 Likes

That’s wonderful, @walter- wishing you (and your deck!) all the best as you experiment with different methods of cleansing and connecting. I hope you find one (or perhaps a few!) that work well for you :blush:

@Praecog29 is right on- I love collecting decks, but I admit most of that is for collecting the artwork :sweat_smile: . There are some truly incredible designs out there, but not all of them feel right for me to read with. Finding a deck you connect with on a deep level is truly a wonderful thing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It seems like many are experimenting with oracle cards too- I’ve also been keeping an eye out for a good oracle deck! :eyes: There are many lovely ones, but haven’t found one that I really connect with yet.

If any of you find a great one, be sure to make a recommendation and show off your cards! Would love to see them :flower_playing_cards::sparkles:

2 Likes

@BryWisteria, thank you, once again… i will definitely keep everyone posted…I will read the cards again tmrw and want to do @MeganB challenge for the week of divinition…
Blessed be

3 Likes

Oh I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

3 Likes