Offerings at Home

:warning: The writing in this post is purely my own opinion and practice. Please don’t take everything I say as truth in your practice. Do what feels right for you!

Many people worship, revere, or work with deities regularly. In my practice and experience, there is a right and wrong way to approach the Gods to ask for their assistance. One thing that you want to make sure you do - especially if you work with that particular deity regularly - is to give relevant and wanted offerings. Now, these offerings are going to depend completely on the deity you are connecting with, and research needs to be done on your part to make sure you won’t offend Them with your gift. For example, I would never offer a piece of steak or leather to Brigid because the cow is sacred to Her.

Art by TerraIncantata

Note: Please keep in mind that most of this comes from my own personal practice of Irish Paganism. Not all concepts, ideas, and beliefs will apply to everyone. However, the act of giving offerings is typically the same in any spiritual practice.

Why do you need to give offerings?

Think of it this way - you would never go up to a stranger and ask for their help with part of your life, or ask for money, or abundance, or wealth. The same concept applies with the Gods. If you don’t have a relationship with that particular deity, they are more likely to ignore you. They could accept your request, but it will likely come at a price you might not be willing to pay. Giving offerings is one way to start the process of building a foundation with a deity - one of mutual respect and reciprocation.

Image by klimkin from Pixabay

What do you have to give?

The Gods won’t always ask for a physical item - food, libations, coins, etc. Many times all they want is your time. They want you to prove that you are willing to do what it takes to meet the requirements to work with them. Lora O’Brien from the Irish Pagan School has a YouTube channel where she talks about giving her time to Manannán mac Lir by taking a swim in the ocean once a day for a week (I believe this is the correct time frame). Manannán mac Lir is also known as the Son of the Sea, and this is what He required of her in exchange for His help. Now, it might sound silly, but this was in Ireland in the middle of September. The water was freezing - and it was a sacrifice of time and comfort for Lora.

Of course, the usual things can also be given as offerings. Many Gods enjoy alcohol of some sort - I’ve read that Brigid enjoys an offering of whiskey every now and then. Sometimes water will do the trick. As far as food offerings go, this will depend highly on the deity. Like I said earlier, I would never offer any cow products to Brigid because the cow is a sacred animal to Her. If you’re having trouble figuring out what to give your deity as an offering of food or drink, look into their lore and their myths. See what they enjoyed in their stories. You could even just ask them! Some Gods will not be offended if you don’t know what to give them. However, approach this with caution depending on the deity.

For example, I do not worship or work with deities in the Greek pantheon. However, I know enough of the lore and myths to know that if I was to give an offering to Dionysus, I would probably give alcohol of some form and some fruit. Or throw a party. These are things that He would enjoy based on his lore, myths, and stories.

Image by Vasilijus Bortnikas from Pixabay

How do I give the offering?

Again, this is largely going to depend on your tradition and path. However, I do have a basic format for giving offerings to most deities and this is the personal method that I use myself. Since I worship Brigid, my offerings to Her vary between candles and incense - sometimes heavy cream. I stand in front of my altar with my eyes closed, focusing and listening to my own heartbeat and the world around me. Sometimes I get flashes of thoughts that aren’t my own - sometimes I don’t. When I feel calm enough and grounded, I light my candle. I don’t have a standard chant or prayer that I say, but I do say something along the lines of the following:

Blessed Brigid, Keep of the Sacred Flame - Please accept this offering. Thank you for the protection you have provided for my home and hearth.

I’m also learning the Irish language, so I’m in the process of trying to create prayers in Irish. This particular one translates (using Google) as follows:

Bríde Beannaithe, Coimeád an lasair Naofa - Glac leis an tairiscint seo le do thoil. Go raibh maith agat as an gcosaint a chuir tú ar fáil do mo theach agus do thinteán.

Since I work from home, I keep the candle lit all day unless I have to leave for some reason. When I have to put the candle out, I don’t blow it out. I put the lid back on the candle and snuff. There isn’t a particular reason for this besides being told by Brigid that I shouldn’t blow it out.

If I give offerings of food or drink, I try not to put them down the drain or in the trash when the Gods are finished with them and no longer need them. I give them back to the Earth whenever possible. However, I do recognize the fact that this is not possible for everyone. So please, do not take this practice of mine as fact. Dispose of your offerings in a safe manner for wherever you are. If you can pour out the liquid in your garden, that’s wonderful. If you have to pour it down your drain, that works, too. Please do not leave anything outside that would be harmful to the local wildlife or the planet .

I hope this has helped you in some form. I do plan on doing a video on how I give my offerings to Brigid on my YouTube channel one day - just not quite yet.

Do you have deities that you give offerings to? Do you have any questions? I’d love to hear your experience!

20 Likes

I loved this! I tried pasting it into Google translate to see how it sounds (using the text to speech feature) but unfortunately it’s not available for Irish yet…

How easy would you say it is to learn the Irish language? :thinking:

9 Likes

Oh, learning Irish is really tricky for me because I only speak English and bits and pieces of Spanish. So the grammar, syntax, and spelling are entirely new for me. But I’m trying! Maybe I’ll make a recording of me trying to say that prayer in Irish so you can see what it sounds like lol no promises, though!

13 Likes

okay dearie, wheres the recording?? lol I would love to hear it. My grandparents spoke Irish at home, I did not learn much because didn’t live close to them. With some languages my tongue does not do right…LOL I can speak some Arabic and I do understand it, learned it while I lived in Egypt.

8 Likes

I haven’t done it yet lol honestly, learning Irish fell by the wayside as the world seemed to explode. I’ve been nudged (read: shoved) to pick it back up lol so I’ll get it done eventually

9 Likes

Hi! This is an old post, but I was searching for offerings and came across the post. Thank you for sharing your experience with offerings at home.

I am not for or against working with deities, I’m still trying to get my feet wet. However, after every spell work, I started to leave water in my chalice at the altar. At first, I didn’t notice the amount of water decrease, but doing it consistently, I started to see a decrease in the amount of water.
I tried Florida water and left it on the altar and noticed the amount decrease significantly within a night. Since I am new, I wanted to just see if that is normal. Is the water just evaporating, or it’s really working? I like to do a quick pulse check with you all as I explore this fascinating new journey!

6 Likes

You’re very welcome! :heart: I’m glad you found it helpful.

It’s very possible that the water is just evaporating. It’s also very possible that the water is being utilized by a Spirit at your altar! One way you could test this is to leave a bowl of water on your altar and a similar bowl of water off your altar, but both in the same room. Check the water level of both after a day and see if there’s a difference.

It may be easier to use a clear glass cup or bowl so you can mark the outside where the water is and measure the amount of water in the glass.

I believe Matt Auryn has a similar post on his Instagram where he left an apple on his altar and an apple off his altar, both in the same room. The apple not on the altar went bad faster than the apple left on the altar.

Well…he did at one point. I distinctly remember him talking about it because the altar was to Hekate, if I remember correctly. I went looking for the post on his Instagram and Facebook but I couldn’t find it.

Anyway, sorry I’m rambling now :laughing: I think the only way to know for sure would be to test it and experiment!

5 Likes

No need to apologize, lady! I love all the feedback. It is also exciting for me! For me being in a conservative Christian/Muslim/Jewish environment I have to be careful about what I talk about. This platform helps me so much connecting with like-minded people without judgements.
After today’s daily ritual, I am planning on leaving water at the altar in a measuring cup, and I’ll track it using that and keep you posted if you like. I don’t have alcohol at the house (sober-clean-living) so I am limited with water or Florida water. If you know other liquids that may be beneficial, then I’d love to hear to learn about it! Thank you again!!

5 Likes

Oh good, I’m glad :sweat_smile: Sometimes I can just go on and on… and then things tend to not make sense anymore or I end up on a completely different topic!

I’d love to hear about your altar water experiment! You can even make a new post in Witchy Wisdom to track it if you’d like. I’m sure others would be interested in seeing what happens, too. And I think water is a perfectly suitable offering. There are many beliefs, mine included, that see water as a connection to the Otherworld. It’s also one thing that is required for life, so to leave water for others is seen as an offering itself!

5 Likes

Aren’t those the best ones, though? They get you lost in your mind… like Alice in the Wonderland. That was one of my favorites growing up.

I’ll circle back with more after today’s ritual… yay! This is exciting. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t wait! :clap: :sparkles:

5 Likes

Oh, dear.

Last night, I asked Brigid to bless my dinner for All Snakes Day (St. Paddy’s Day), which included corn beef. I’ve been trying to learn more about Brigid, lately. I knew that you could leave her an offering of milk (and that she was “nursed on the milk” of the Sacred Cow), but I had no idea that offerings of beef (or asking to bless a dinner that includes corn beef) can offend her. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: Ugh. I feel like this should have been obvious to me upon hearing the term “sacred cow”. :persevere: I still had a lovely ritual with Brigid, though, so I don’t think I greatly upset her.

Serious question: is it still okay to work with Brigid, if you eat beef, from time to time? Beef is super expensive anymore, so I mostly stick to chicken, pork, and fish.

4 Likes

Oh Kasandra, it’s okay! I don’t personally think that Brigid will be upset or offended by giving an offering of beef or cow products. That part of this article is simply from my personal practice and how I work with her. I feel like offering a meal to her, or asking her to bless your meal, that contains beef isn’t going to make her mad in any way. You see, it’s complicated!

Back in Brigid’s time, cows were seen as a symbol of status, wealth, and power. The more cows you had, the more wealthy you were. That’s why many of Ireland’s myths revolve around cattle raids – cattle and cows were wealth and power. Now, just because the cow is sacred to Brigid doesn’t mean that the people of old Ireland never consumed cattle. They did what they needed to do and honored the death of the animal that the people would use for food.

It’s also different for me because I eat a mostly plant-based diet. I don’t consume any meat at all, don’t buy leather, etc. I rarely consume eggs, cheese, or other dairy, either.

Overall, I’m fairly sure (like 99.9999% positive) that you’re a-okay and perfectly fine! And in regard to your serious question, the answer is absolutely yes. The Gods understand that we have to eat. In my opinion, as long as the food you eat is being consumed mindfully and, if it was an animal, with gratitude, then you’re doing a great job! :heart:

I’m sorry if my post caused you any distress or confusion. I definitely left out a very important disclaimer at the top of the post about this being personal for me, and for that, I apologize! :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you for the insight, Megan! I was having a bad day yesterday (me and everyone in my family is healthy); customers have been so grouchy, to put it nicely, lately (what is going on, must be the weather) and I reacted to your post without thinking about what I know about offerings.

I had a feeling that everything was okay; my working with Brigid has taught me that she’s not petty or demanding. Quite the opposite! When I talked with her about it last night. I had the feeling of someone encouraging me to stay where I am.

A few months ago, I asked my dragon teacher, who has been guiding along my path as I journey through Five Rings, if there were any non-draconic deities that I can help me along the way, and an image of Brigid came to my mind.

Since then, I’ve gotten closer to my Brigid and I think my not wanting to upset her (even unintentionally) is a testament to how close I’ve gotten to her.

5 Likes

You’re very welcome, Kasandra! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m glad I was able to help calm your mind a little bit, and that you found solace with Brigid. Sometimes our bad days can make us second-guess the things we do, even if we intuitively feel like we’re doing just fine. I’ve been there!

5 Likes