Panko is easier to make than you think

Japanese bread crumbs can be expensive but you can make it at home for very little.

How to Make Panko Bread Crumbs

Total Time: 15 minutes | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Serves: 3 to 4 cups

Ingredients

• 1 loaf slightly dry white bread, crust removed

Directions

1. Heat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Slice your loaf of bread into chunks small enough to fit through the shredding disk of a food processor.
  3. Push a chunk of bread through the food processor and repeat until the entire loaf has been shredded into coarse crumbs.
  4. Pour the bread crumbs onto a large baking sheet, spreading into a thin layer.
  5. Bake the bread crumbs for six to eight minutes, shaking the tray every two to three minutes to ensure even drying. Keep an eye on the bread crumbs as they bake as you do not want them to brown.
  6. Remove the bread crumbs from the oven and let cool.

Bread Options and Alternative Solutions

Any kind of white bread will do. You can use pre-sliced loaves of mass-produced white bread, sourdough bread or French bread, though left over bread from a bakery will have a better taste and texture. For the best results, remove the crust and let the bread air-dry for up to 24 hours, or until slightly dry. Or, look for day-old bread at your local bakery or grocery store.

Crackers work in a pinch. If you don’t have bread on hand, soda crackers, Melba toast or oyster crackers can be used instead. A few quick pulses in a food processor or blender will break the crackers down to desirable-sized crumbs; just be careful not to over-process. Or, put the crackers in a plastic storage bag and crush the crackers with your fingers until the desired crumb consistency is achieved. As an added bonus, there’s no need to toast them in the oven as they are already crispy.

If you don’t have a food processor, pulse a few small chunks of bread at a time in a blender until shredded into smaller crumbs of like size.

Storage and Shelf Life

Store panko bread crumbs in the freezer or at room temperature in a tightly sealed container or storage bag for six months up to a year.

For the best results, homemade panko bread crumbs should be used within a few months; after that time their quality and flavor can deteriorate. Examine older bread crumbs carefully before using. If the bread crumbs are giving off a stale odor or taste and their texture isn’t as crisp, they are no longer good to use. If you see any evidence of mold, discard immediately.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! I am going to save it & try it out. I love :heart: panko @Garnet

5 Likes

Yum yum, panko is a staple to have in the kitchen! Especially when there are picky eaters around- a coating of panko can make even veggies taste decadent! :yum:

Thanks for sharing, @Garnet! :heart:

4 Likes

You came also flavor with herbs and/or spices. Italian, sage, dill.
Did you know that depression era meatloaf called for poultry seasoning and tomato soup?

3 Likes

I had no idea! But it does make sense that recipes from different eras draw on different ingredients. And I suppose every personal meatloaf recipe has its own unique twists to it!

I think that’s part of the joy in cooking- even the same recipe seems to come out slightly different everytime! :woman_cook: :sparkles:

2 Likes