I have an app on my iPad called Go Sky Watch. I love using it when we go up to the rental cabin we go to, as there’s no light pollution up there and the sky is filled with millions of stars.
Down here in town, I used it today to track the partial solar eclipse.
Here are two screen shots as I held my iPad up to the sky as the sun was starting to set.
You can see that the Moon is partly blocking the sun. So cool to see it in action
You’re lucky to have a retreat you can visit to lose the light pollution. The one thing I definitely miss from living in a rural area is the fabulous clear night skies.
Thank you. Yes, its a wonderful place - I found it either online or in Texas Highways magazine years ago. We went for our anniversary one year and have been going back regularly ever since. We stay in a log cabin that sleeps two and they have other cabins and lake houses that sleep entire families, up to 12 people.
Yes, I know it well, I live in Tomball. I worked several temp assignments up in the Woodlands before I retired and I have seen several bands at the Woodlands Pavilion over the years. The Woodlands isn’t so small anymore.
Oh, and Ostara and I went shopping to a couple of witchy stores in Old Town Spring, back in April.
@Greenbriar there is a similar app called Stellarium. You can see as much or as little as you’d like in real time around you. There are different settings you can choose from & as you move it will show you what & where in the sky different things are too.
I was attacked by my allergies yesterday so I didn’t do much for the any of the things yesteray. Minus do the plant things now that it’s decided to cool off
That’s so cool! We were neighbors back then and didn’t know it.
The Woodlands was pretty built out when we lived there. A planned community, and the developers used every inch. Traffic was…challenging, shall we say.
@Feathertip That’s cool - when were you there? I can confirm, traffic is a nightmare up there now. Glad I don’t have to deal with it on a daily basis any more.
@Susurrus Stellarium sounds like a neat app too - I love stuff like that. The night skies fascinate me and I love being able to pick up my iPad, point it in any direction in the sky and identify what I see there - stars, planets, nebulae, galaxies. I have the free version, so I can only imagine how much more information would be available with the paid version.
I lived in Dallas, TX when I was very young then when I was older I lived in Austin, TX. I could go back as long as I was close to the ocean with a lot more land than I have now I loved TX when I lived there, the traffic, not so much