Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes

I’m going to the doctor early tomorrow so I’m just gonna post this now so I don’t forget. Hopefully, I’ll have some good news from the doctor for once. We’ll see.

Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes

active: 20 mins
total: 20 mins
Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons organic canola oil or avocado oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 cup Sautéed Peppers & Onions (see associated recipe)
4 (6 inch) whole-wheat sub rolls, split
4 slices reduced-sodium provolone cheese

Directions:

Step 1

Arrange the oven rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Step 2

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, oregano, and salt; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Add tomato sauce and cook until bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes.

Step 3

Meanwhile, warm peppers and onions in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often. (Alternatively, microwave for 1 minute to reheat.)

Step 4

Lay rolls, split-side open, on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, rotating the pan as necessary until just starting to brown and toast, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Step 5

Top toasted buns with the beef mixture, dividing evenly. Top with the peppers and onions and then cheese. Broil just until the cheese is melted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Wrap each sub in foil until ready to eat. Serve hot.

Nutritional Facts:

Serving Size: 1 6-inch sub

Per Serving:
413 calories; protein 30.1g; carbohydrates 29.3g; dietary fiber 5g; sugars 8.1g; fat 19.7g; saturated fat 6.9g; cholesterol 2.2mg; vitamin a iu 1311.2IU; vitamin c 43.3mg; folate 44.3mcg; calcium 176.6mg; iron 4.2mg; magnesium 70.1mg; potassium 683.9mg; sodium 626.3mg; thiamin 0.2mg; added sugar 3g.

Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean-protein, 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 medium-fat protein

And here’s the recipe for the peppers and onions to go with the sloppy joes!

Sautéed Peppers & Onions

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 bell peppers, sliced
3 cups sliced sweet onions
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Heat oil in a large straight-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, and salt; cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, 18 to 21 minutes.

Recipes courtesy of Eating Well.

Hope y’all have a good week!

6 Likes

Thank you :heartpulse: I hope all goes well tomorrow :heartpulse: Love and Light :heartpulse:

6 Likes

I make these, they’re so good.
Good vibes for tomorrow!

5 Likes

Yum, yum, yum! :yum: The ultimate lip-smacking messy food. It’s been a while since I had a Sloppy Joe- might have to put that on the menu this week! Thanks for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hope everything went well at the doctor’s, @Amethyst! Wishing you the best of luck for a quick visit and good news :pray:

5 Likes

This is something that would do well with my family. 2 of our favorite sandwiches coming together! Thank you for sharing!

5 Likes

This sounds AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this! :heart_eyes_cat:Best of luck at the doctor! Sending positive, healing vibes your way! :heart::sparkles:

5 Likes

I love Philly cheese steak and sloppy joes. But both together?? I guess I’d have to try it before I draw any conclusions. It does sound tasty tho.

4 Likes

Thank you @Liisa! I’ll be updating everyone over on the Merry Meet Forum News post, but it went really well. I’m pleased!

Glad to know that the recipe is a good one, thanks @Rowan! And I did pretty well at the doctor today, thank you for the good wishes!

You’re welcome! I hope you like them!

You’re welcome, love! I hope your family likes it!

You’re welcome! And thank you for the healing vibes! They worked I think, I’m down to one boo boo on the back of my thigh!

It’s different at the very least! I hope you like it if you try it!

5 Likes

You’re welcome hon, glad it went well. :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you again! My legs thank you too!

4 Likes

This sounds delicious!!!
Note to self: Check out the Recipes section on the forum more often!

3 Likes

LOL! Glad you like them. I usually post a recipe each Monday or Sunday. Just to give people ideas.

3 Likes