Question about creating a coven

I have a question for y’all . I want to start my own coven online and in person but how do I look for people to join and what is the requirement to start a coven ?

7 Likes

I think most of us are solitary here, but hopefully, someone will have a good answer for you. I do know there is a good book called Circle, Coven, and Grove that’s about a year of magical practice that may help you out. Sorry I couldn’t help more.

5 Likes

Aside from Infinite Roots Coven (here), I’m a solitary eclectic witch. Maybe @Francisco would have more insight for you.

5 Likes

When it comes to online groups, there are many books on how to form online communities and groups. These can be transported into a coven or anything you like.

For a real life group, face to face, you’d have to meet other like minded individuals. Depending how large you are looking at getting.

Go to pagan meets maybe?

Not sure. But for a small group, you’ll find just like everything else in life, people attracted to the same things naturally draw to each other. Although this can take years.

Example is I already have a friend who’s curious and would like to try a ritual together. From there, does it become a monthly or weekly 2 person ritual or does it fall apart, or do we attract more just in the same way?

Personally I don’t put much energy into wanting to form a group. I treat it like my every day life and if others get interested in it through discussion.

When someone asks you what you like to do with your free time… and you tell them… you’ll either freak them out and they’ll see you as strange, or, they’ll want to know more. Its just natural.

Tem

7 Likes

Warm greetings @james11!

I can see you’ve already got some great advice here :blush: As for me, I’m a proud member of our Infinite Roots Coven- I really love the community of an online coven with the freedom of being a solitary Electic Witch. An online coven offers a great balance in my opinion! :balance_scale:

Unless your magickal path has strict rules, I think it’s safe to say there are no requirements to starting a new coven. In theory, anyone could create their own coven and build their own rules from the ground up!

As with starting any online community, it usually takes a long time to find like-minded people and build up a group. I would advise you to pick a niche (what kind of coven are you hoping to have- Wicca? Eclectic? Influenced by another religion? Nature-based? Something else?) and begin small- find witchy locals or friends who could help you get started :+1:

Once you have a group, in order to keep people interested and the space active, you will likely need to constantly and consistently be creating content- be it spells or meetings or activities, etc. You might also want to nurture a presence on other social media platforms to connect with more people who may be interested in joining :handshake:

It’s a lot of work, but it all begins with a desire- if this is your dream, James, then go for it! I am wishing you all the best of luck. Blessed be! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

This quote is from McCoy’s The Witch’s Coven: Finding or Forming Your Own Circle :

Covens come in all sizes and structures, many of them good, some mediocre. A few could possibly be called dangerous. A coven may have only two members; I have known others containing as many as sixty.
There are almost as many different types of covens as there are witches, and certainly there are as many different ways to run a coven as there are individual Craft traditions.

In other words, there are no rules besides the ones you want to put in place. You should be clear about the goals of the coven or group; whether there will be a structure or hierarchy; who can join; and a lot more.

Whether you do it in person or online, that’s probably going to affect the rest of the decisions you make, so I suggest you decide on that before anything else.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.