Question about divination oil ingredients- to strain or not to strain?

Thank you so much for the really kind messages - I do have one question I am making some divination oil at the moment I have it on my window sill under the full moon for 1 month, Ive used Bay Leaves, cinnamon, and oregano and a little vitamin e oil. When it is right to use, do I strain all of the ingredients and put it in bottles or leave it all together ?? The instructions dont tell me anything - I hope you all dont think I am silly for asking I am just giving it a go and been drawn to making some.

Love and Light

xxx

7 Likes

This is a fantastic question- thank you for bringing it up, @Freya! :blush:

I hope you don’t mind that I’ve moved this post into its own thread so that it gets the attention it deserves. Hopefully the coven has some wisdom and advice to share! :sparkles:

My first response would be to follow the instructions- but since you mentioned the directions didn’t clarify, I’d say it is up to your preference.

For me personally, when I make cosmetic oils I tend to strain the steeped ingredients and bottle up just the oil as a final product- I think it looks cleaner and neater for cosmetic purposes.

However, when I make culinary oils (like tasty herbed garlic oil :yum:) I usually leave the steeped material in the bottle. The nozzle stops the ingredients from coming out when I pour, so I think its fine to leave the materials inside.

Looking forward to hearing what others do with their oils! :blush:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for helping me - I am so excited to be doing something new and for myself xxx

4 Likes

Some oils I strain and some no

5 Likes

For me personally, I like to strain the oil. It just makes using it easier :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Not silly at all :slight_smile: I’m just getting past the tip of the iceberg for learning the more green-fingered and culinary skills involved with the Craft :slight_smile: I came to see the answers cause I’m also eager to learn how to make my own oils <3 Blessed Be <3

4 Likes

Wow I am going to be the voice of descent lol. I don’t strain. Unless I am doing an infusion but then I like to have the solid ingredients in my salves and anointing oils. So no straining for me. I like to shake my oils and see the rosebuds, etc floating around inside. Looks pretty to me.

Blessed Be!

7 Likes

Thank you xxxx

2 Likes

That is what I was thinking xxx

3 Likes

Thank you for telling me that I wasn’t silly, this is my first attempt at an oil and I am definitely having so much fun and feel so connected to it so I know that I have done the right thing so far but it has been great to connect to everybody and get different peoples point of views xx

Blessings xxx

4 Likes

The Travel Witch :woman_mage: I do not mean to sound ignorant but how do you strain?
Jeannie

4 Likes

You can use a muslim cloth or a thin strainer xxxx

Blessings xxx

3 Likes

In a place where everyone is learning and growing, there are no ignorant questions! Asking is the best way to learn- so thanks for bringing it up, Jeannie! :blush:

I absolutely agree with @Freya- Muslim cloth, cheese cloth, or wire/mesh strainers are great ways to separate the steeped materials from the valuable oil.

download
[Picture from MountainRoseHerbs]
(Cheesecloth or something similar can be ordered from Amazon or other online shops, but is widely available in most homegood stores and even supermarkets)

[Picture from Amazon]
(Wire/mesh strainers can be ordered online or found in any store carrying kitchen ware)

Keeping the liquid rather than the ingredients is opposite of a lot of cooking tasks, so be mindful and make sure to strain the oil over a bowl or container- don’t have a brain fart and let the good go liquid down the sink! Speaking from experience here :sweat_smile:

Good luck and happy straining (if that’s what you chose to do with your oils!) :blush:

4 Likes

The Travel Witch,
I am Glad you said use a wire or string because I thought you were gonna say to use the cheese cloth or something like that and that is a lot harder to use so awesome glad to hear it is not gonna be too hard.
Jeannie

3 Likes

No worries, I’m learning too and i’m loving it <3 Blessed Be <3

3 Likes

I agree the wire/mesh strainer is the quickest and easiest way to strain your oils- if you have one on hand, go for it! :+1:

I know using cheese cloth for the first time may seem intimidating, but it’s actually rather simple to use. The YouTube channel Cooking & Gardening with Char has a very helpful video teaching people how to strain with cheese cloth:

If the opportunity comes up or your find yourself without a wire strainer, don’t be afraid to give straining with cheese cloth a try! :blush:

4 Likes

The Travel Witch,
Awesome, I didn’t think it was that easy and this video made me realize that I made the mistake of keeping my herbs in my bottle! I didn’t know so now I know but thank you, Very much!
Jeannie

4 Likes