Ritual of Equilibrium: Honoring Persephone and Hades

I celebrate Persephone’s descent into and ascent from the Underworld on the equinoxes. Since the equinox is Saturday, I have created a small ritual to honor Lady Persephone, the Queen of the Underworld, Lord Hades, the Ruler of the Afterlife, and the balance represented by their union.

I will update with pictures after I perform the ritual on Saturday.

You are more than free to use this ritual or adopt it to your own needs, no matter what path you follow or deities you work with. I would love to hear your reflections or experiences, if you want to share of course.

Blessed Be!

Materials Needed:

• Black, white, and purple candles
  • A pomegranate
  • Red wine or pomegranate juice
  • Their altar
  • A meal to share
  • A quiet place to reflect
  • Optional: representation of Persephone and Hades (statue, image, or symbolic objects)

Ritual Steps:

1. Preparation:
    A. I clean and set their altar, making any changes I feel called to make.
    B. I place the candles on the altar: Black candle on the right side (Hades’s side), white candle on the left side (Persephone’s side) and the purple candle in the middle.
    C. I place the pomegranate and wine/juice on the altar.
    D. I pacle the statues as well as an AI-generated image of the couple that I am using during this ritual on the altar.
  2. Opening Invocation: please remember candle safety!
    A. Lighting the black candle, I say,

“In the embrace of darkness and Lord Hades, Keeper of Souls, I honor your presence in this ritual. As I light this black candle, I acknowledge the realm of the Underworld and the mysteries it holds. May your darkness teach me the wisdom of transformation and the inevitability of change.”

B. Lighting the white candle, I say,

“Light of the living and Lady Persephone, Bringer of Life and Death, I honor your presence in this ritual. As I light this white candle, I acknowledge the realm of the living and the return of Lady Persephone to the Underworld, where all things thrive and transform. May your light guide me in this journey of balance and renewal.”

C. Lighting the purple candle, I say,

“In the union of light and darkness, life and death, I honor the balance that exists in all things. As I light this purple candle, I recognize the harmony of opposites and the cyclical nature of existence. May this candle symbolize my journey toward equilibrium and understanding.”

1. Honoring Persephone and Hades: Hold the pomegranate in your hands and say,

“Lady Persephone, Mistress of Renewal, and Lord Hades, King of the Dead, I offer this pomegranate to symbolize the sweet and bitter fruits of existence, reflecting on the duality of life and death. Just as the pomegranate’s seeds lie hidden within its husk, so do the secrets of the Underworld.

Lady Persephone, your return to the depths is a testament to the cycle of renewal, and Lord Hades, your realm reminds me that even in darkness, there is wisdom and transformation. May this offering be a token of my reverence for your sacred union and a reminder that from darkness, light can emerge, and from death, life can be reborn.”

1. Offering and Sharing:
    A. Pour a small amount of wine/juice into a cup and raise it, saying:

“As I pour this wine, I am reminded of the blood of life and the essence of my existence. To Lady Persephone, the Goddess of Spring, and Lord Hades, the Master of Shadows, I offer this libation, a symbol of vitality and the elixir of our shared human experience.

Lady Persephone, your journey into the Underworld signifies the cycle of life, death, and rebirth, and Lord Hades, your realm holds the mysteries of the eternal transition. In this wine, I acknowledge the depths of your wisdom, the hidden truths, and the balance you bring to our world.

May this offering be a gesture of gratitude for the profound lessons your union teaches me, and may it remind me that, just as the grape transforms into wine, so does my experiences and challenges have the potential to ferment into wisdom, strength, and deeper understanding of the intricate dance between light and darkness, life and death.”

B. Take a moment to meditate on the significance of the ritual and your connection to the cycles of life and death.

1. Enjoy your meal, setting aside the first portion to share as an offering to Persephone and Hades. Place the meal on their altar, saying:

As I offer this portion of my meal, I extend my gratitude to Lady Persephone, Guardian of the Underworld’s Secrets, and Lord Hades, Dark Lord. I share with you this sustenance, a symbol of life’s nourishment and the essence of our earthly existence.

Lady Persephone, your journey between worlds reminds me of the ever-turning wheel of seasons and the eternal balance of light and darkness. Lord Hades, your realm teaches me the transformative power of transitions and the wisdom that resides in the shadows.

May this meal be a gesture of reverence for your sacred union, and may it symbolize my willingness to embrace all aspects of myself, just as I honor the full spectrum of existence, from the fruitful light to the enriching darkness."

1. Closing: Take a moment to thank Hades and Persephone for their presence and blessings:

“As this ritual draws to a close, I offer my deepest gratitude to Lady Persephone, Divine Consort, and to Lord Hades, Eternal Consort. Your presence in this sacred space has illuminated my heart and mind, reminding me of the profound balance that exists in all things.

I thank you for your guidance and wisdom, for teaching me the value of embracing both light and darkness, life and death. As you govern the eternal cycles of existence, I am reminded that every ending births a new beginning, and every shadow conceals a hidden truth.

May your blessings continue to flow through my life, fostering growth, resilience, and a deeper understanding of the intricate dance between the realms you oversee. I carry your lessons with us as I step back into the world, ever mindful of the balance I seek within myself and in the world around me.

Hail Queen Persephone and King Hades, and may your sacred union forever inspire my journey toward equilibrium and enlightenment. So mote it be.”

1. Final thoughts: I will spend some time in quiet contemplation, thinking about the balance of light and darkness in your my life and the cyclical nature of things. I keep a journal dedicated to Hades and Persephone that I record all my thoughts within as this allows me to go back and reflect on how the rituals/mediations impacts me over time.

Weekly Witchy Challenge

14 Likes

Very beautiful :sparkling_heart:

9 Likes

Thank you!!

9 Likes

This is great! Thank you :heart:

10 Likes

That is so beautiful Amaris. It gave me goosebumps!

9 Likes

This is lovely! Thank you so much for sharing!

7 Likes

Incredible, thank you for sharing it with us!

7 Likes

This is so lovely! What a poignant thing to reflect on today!! I hope your ritual is everything you want it to be!

8 Likes

Thank you everyone! I’m happy to share this with all.

7 Likes

Your rituals never cease to amaze me, @Amaris_Bane :heart: This is beautiful, as always! May you have a wonderful Equinox celebration!

8 Likes

The care and devotion in your words is really breathtaking, and gosh- all of the details too! From the inclusion of the pomegranate to the careful positioning of the black and white candles, your work is truly amazing :pray: Thank you so much for sharing this, Amaris!

I hope you had a wonderful ritual and a lovely equinox- season’s blessings to you! :black_heart: :white_heart: :candle: :blush:

8 Likes