Searching for candles

Blessed be! I was wondering where everyone purchases their colored candles from. I live in a very rural area, and I haven’t been able to find the candles I would like to use. Plain, colored candles without scents seem to be impossible to find. Where is the best to buy candles online, that isn’t expensive? Right now, I only have white candles. Can I substitute my white candles for colored candles? Thank you in advance for any help!

6 Likes

Hey there! I’m not super knowledgeable about candle magick and the use of candles in magick, but I do know that you can use white candles as a substitute for any colors – charge them with your intention as you would with any colored candle, and you should be good to go! In my opinion, and as others have said in different parts of this forum, the intention behind your magickal workings are more important than the “stuff” you use for the workings :slight_smile:

I live in a rural area too, and I tend to buy my candles at Walmart or the dollar store. I’ve also gotten them online at Amazon, where you can buy all kinds of candles, including colored chime candles, relatively inexpensively :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi @elizabeth5 As @Jewitch mentioned Amazon has a great selection, I buy a box of multi colored chime candles from there for about $10.
Blessed Be,

10 Likes

My understanding is you can substitute white for any colour. But I you’d prefer colours, then I’ve been buying mine on Amazon and Etsy.

10 Likes

Right now I get mine from Amazon in the US. There isn’t a place near me that sells them either. I use white tealights for my daily candle then the others I add for whichever intent. I go through black & white & pretty quickly. The white candles can be substituted for whichever color you are missing as @Jewitch & @IrisW have already said. You’ll get there. Birthday candles work in a pinch too! :candle:

10 Likes

Hey there Elizabeth :wave:

You’ve got some great suggestions here already and I’d just like to add in my thoughts, too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

White candles :candle: are farily common to use in place of any other candle when you don’t have a specific color. The most common candle people use in spellwork are chime candles which you can find at most metaphysical stores. If you don’t have one near you, Amazon does carry them in packs for fairly decent prices.

Finding unscented candles in stores like Walmart and Target is difficult, but a white tealight or chime candle will do just fine for most spells.

7 Likes

I go to amazon for some of my candles as well, or unscented white tealights that I carve certain Runes on to represent the energy I need for my spell. Or I buy coloured birthday candles if I really feel I need the energy of that colour for my spell :heartpulse:

I recently got a couple of really good ideas from @MeganB’s youtube channel on how to dress candles for spell purposes Dressing Candles :heartpulse:

9 Likes

I actually use a medium glass and a smaller glass inside, use clear pebbles to level. fill the larger glass with water about 1/4" from the top of the smaller glass. Use food coloring to make your 'candle color". Fill the smaller glass 1/2" from top add 1/4"cooking oil and place “romantic water candles” on oil. Use over and over. With any color you choose. There’s no wrong way to put them.

81j6x3p2ObL.AC_UL160_SR107,160
th

10 Likes

Elizabeth,
Since you live in a rural area you could learn how to make candles! Or sometimes I go on eBay! I use to go to the thrift stores and get candles :candle: for cheap.
Not lately though so if you type in candle lots they have votive, taper and the pillar! They also have tea light candles :candle:
Jeannie

10 Likes

OK, now that I’m over my crafty answer. check out the dollar store. Think birthday candles? Good luck.

9 Likes

Greetings, I order tea light candles from Amazon, but for larger candles I get them from The Dollar Tree. They have a large selection (usually), and I picked up a few floating candles the last time. I have picked up a few at thrift stores, but I only use those for mood lighting purposes, they are not used for ritual or spell work. Blessed be.

8 Likes

I thought about making them myself actually but I don’t even know where to begin. Depending on the how they’re made, if it makes a big mess, I wouldn’t be able to do it. I share a house with an OCD cleaning MIL. I would really like to look into it though.

9 Likes

Start at Michaels or another craft store, they have all the supplies you should need. And yes, it is labor intensive. If you know someone with bee hives you could get actual bees wax.
When I was growing up, the neighbor across the road had a problem with honey bees. They had a 2 story farm house and it was discovered that the entire side of the house was a giant bee hive. They were giving away wheel barrels full of honey combs. That was a sweet summer.
We visited Williamsburg in Virginia wonderful place, They show how to dip candles and how to carve them. See picks.
th

61QEoGa59aL.AC_UL320

8 Likes

The dollar store has a great candle selection!!!

6 Likes

I would love to do candle dipping and carving! But yes, it is a very messy endeavor :laughing:

5 Likes

That sounds really dangerous but a good memory! I tried it once and still need to experiment with the candle making! It’s so much fun!
Jeannie

6 Likes