She spent a week becoming a witch || The Independent Article

Have you read the article in The Independent yet? It’s making its rounds in most pagan communities and many, many people are really upset about it.

I’ve written a blog post about it on my own website, as well as a YouTube video, but I wanted to get everyone else’s opinion on it, too. Have you read it?

Here’s my video, if you’re interested.

She spent A WEEK becoming a witch - and wrote a DISRESPECTFUL article || The Independent's Failure - YouTube

5 Likes

100% agree with everything you said in the video!

Condescending, cynical, sarcastic… The writer of that article was clearly trying to stir the pot and offend people.

Like you said… Imagine if I went to a Lutheran church and wrote an article (on a newspaper!) making fun of their rituals, their beliefs, and their “irrational practices”. Nobody in their right mind would do that, but I guess Witchcraft is still the butt of the joke and these mainstream “news” aren’t going to help change that.

On the other hand, at least it brings some light to the conversation that we should be having (like in this video! :muscle:) and will probably unite Witches into a revival of the Witches Anti-Defamation League, which apparently is still much needed!

Thanks for this video!

4 Likes

Wow…condescending is an understatement. I rarely get offended, as I try not to take other people’s garbage onto me (I am empathic so I try very hard to protect myself from the noise) but, this article… wow…all I can say. She isn’t very smart to piss off a bunch of witches either… LOL

Your video was great…spot on. I love how you try to stay calm – sipping your tea :heart: You did much better than I would have!! Blessed be.

4 Likes

I try! Especially since I know I have minors and sensitives who watch my channel and listen to my podcast. Besides, it doesn’t do us any good as a group if we are constantly running around with our emotions on our sleeves and letting them get the best of us.

I normally don’t get involved with the videos or articles that approach this topic from a respectful place and genuinely want to learn. However, this person did none of that!

4 Likes

UGH…I just now noticed her smug picture with the witch hat…that has condescending written all over it.

5 Likes

Yeah, she’s not very popular among most witches right now. Some are defending her right to her opinion - which I can slightly understand. However, just because she has the right to her opinion doesn’t mean we have to like it, stand for it, and accept it when her opinion is offensive and dismissive.

3 Likes

I get it. Everyone has the right to free speech. But it doesn’t mean you are free from consequences from that speech. :heart:

4 Likes

I read the article and watched your video (@MeganB) as well. I myself rarely ever get offended and this was just … ridiculous. Condescending, Ignorant, Rude. Everything in the article is portrayed as a joke. And like everyone else has said, If this was about any other religion (more known, more practiced, and larger) then this would have been taken down for sure by now.

3 Likes

I’ve calmed down about it a bit, but it’s still very frustrating! I couldn’t imagine going into someone else’s belief system and treating it like this person did. Completely disrespectful, and I hope they have learned their lesson.

4 Likes

So, I just seen this and wanted to express my thoughts even though this is an older post.
I read the entire article, or rather gathered group of irrational statements from this person and totally agree that it is very condescending as well as ignorantly written as well as researched. I am new to the more so deeper investigation into my craft, but have always had a “pull” towards the belief of it. While over the last almost two years of a more immersed educational and spiritual journey within the spectrum of witchcraft I myself am not even certain enough in wielding the powers that are within my grasp one day.
To declare something, whether it is a religion or practice or hobby, “batshit” after only attempting (which clearly there was no attempt in her efforts) some aspects within the subject, is like boiling eggs and calling yourself a chef.
The issue of her denial into or of the practice of Witchcraft is not the issue obviously, but the defamation and derogatory comments about it after she herself “half assed” learning about it in the first place is. Maybe she needs to understand that “INTENTION” is the first spark of any Magick, and her intention is as you stated in you video (Which I agree 100% with) to just obtain the clickbait dollars and shit all over a large group of people. And you are right also in your statement that if her comments had been about another group like priests/exorcisms, nonvaxers/vaxers, etc, there would have been more attempt in rectifying the rubbish that was printed. It is disgusting that the Independent would allow this article to circulate and stand behind it.
Blessed Be,

8 Likes

I also just saw the article for the first time- thanks for bringing this back, @Rowan! You’ve summed it up well- I know news sources are supposed to be unbiased and allow many different perspectives to be published, but this is very shameful for the Independent. The article does not seem to take a neutral and fair perspective and is full of stereotypes and bias. It does indeed seem, like others have mentioned, to be published in hopes of inciting controversy and riling readers up :woman_shrugging:. I guess it just further backs up the point that we must be mindful when reading about new things- even supposedly reputable sources might present topics in unfair and even hurtful ways!

7 Likes

@MeganB, I completely agree with you. Her article is totally condescending ! Obviously, she never felt the energy that one feels when practicing witchcraft. Like you mentioned, she went into it with no belief, only to mock the craft and the people who practice it. I have years ahead of me to study the craft. It’s alot of work on ones behalf. Your heart, soul and ENERGY goes into the life long commitment of studying witchcraft. Like you also mentioned, it’s insulting!
Thank you for bringing it up.

Blessed be .

5 Likes

Personally, i think their needs to be a petition. There’s zero accountability on their religious discrimination if it was any other religion the article would have been pulled. it’s not fair and its people like her that keep people closeted and afraid. Im sorry, but she really got me angry because i think shes a sarcastic bully. Like she doesn’t have to like or agree with our ways but she could at least be respectful and not talk about us like were some bunch of morons obsessed with harry potter or something. I couldnt bring myself to read the full article because i know id get too uptight about it. I think until we hold people accountable nothing going to change were still going to have this negative stereotype . i wanna see articles about how witchcraft has empowered people, brought people together, how its bettering the planet anything other then how negative and hurtful her piece was

2 Likes

It sure is. The whole article is a disgrace. Im just tired of the mockery and feeling like i have to defend our ways because peope like her make it seem not very legitimate and its like no, we are sensible logical people this is a lifestyle not hocus pocus and something you cant learn in 5 minutes. Its a commitment. Its a practice its spiritual not fun and games.

2 Likes

Yesss!! :muscle: I think that’s the most important part. That kind of sarcasm discourages people (especially young people) from even attempting to find who they are.

The movie “Pink Floyd: The Wall” has a scene about that: The kid had written a poem, and when the teacher sees it he mocks him in front of the class for wanting to be a poet. Hence the line “no dark sarcasm in the classroom, teacher, leave the kids alone”.

“May you never be the reason why someone who loved to sing, doesn’t anymore. Or why someone who dressed so uniquely, now wears plain clothing. Or why someone who always spoke so excitedly about their dreams, is now silent about them.” —Sharouk Mustafa Ibrahim

4 Likes

You put this really well, @Kira-Marie! I agree that it’s a shameful article and is clearly held to different standards than pieces on other religions- which is entirely unfair. It just makes places, sites, and publishers that do make and share positive content about our practice all the more important! It’s so essential to create, share, and support content that shows witchcraft and pagan practices in positive (or at the very least- unbias) ways.

Although this particular article is painful to see, it serves as a reminder to support places and people who show magick and all the wonderful people who practice it in positive ways! Things like this help me to appreciate the community we have here even more :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes