😷 Sickness Remedies

I am sick, and I feel like absolute crap, so I decided I would share some of my remedies for some sicknesses! I have a sinus infection and I’m pretty sure its because I’m allergic to alpaca wool - which sucks. Anyway, I have a few remedies that I think others might find helpful.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a doctor. I am not a medical professional. Use your own discernment before using any of these remedies.

Image from Pixabay

Sick-Tea :tea:

When you have a head cold or something affecting your upper respiratory system, it can be hard to focus and get a lot of things done. I like to make something I call Sick-Tea, and it is based on a drink you can get at Starbucks that is aptly named Medicine Ball. I’ve also linked the two particular teas that I use for this, but you can use your favorites that are similar.

This tea works well for everyone in my family because the ingredients can help open up the sinuses, soothe the throat, and warm the chest. Combining these ingredients with the intention of healing your sickness makes this a simple, quick, and potent potion. You can take this a step further and add your own chant or spell while your tea is brewing!

You will need… :peach:

How do you make it?

1. Combine water and lemonade in a 1:1 ratio and boil i.e. 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of lemonade

2. As the water boils, put about a teaspoon of honey in the bottom of your cup - more if you want, this is up to you

3. When the mixture is boiled, pour it into your cup with one bag of peach tea and one bag of your mint tea.

4. Let it steep for approximately three minutes, then enjoy!

Image from Pixabay

Sinus Rub :sunflower:

I’m a huge fan of Vicks Vapor Rub, but I also like to make my own so that I can add my own intentions and ingredients to it. This sinus rub works the same way as your standard vapor rub, but with an extra magickal kick. I always use eucalyptus, tea tree, and lavender for several reasons. Eucalyptus is a natural sinus relieving smell. Tea tree and lavender may have some anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. Plus, they all smell wonderful together. Same as the tea above, you can take this recipe a step further and add your own chant or spell while you mix the ingredients.

You will need…

• Coconut oil or some form of solid(ish) base
    • if you want a more solid base, you can combine your oil with shea butter or beeswax as you melt it
  • Essential oils like eucalyptus, tea tree, and lavender

How to make it

1. Put your base - coconut oil, beeswax, etc. - in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, put a heat-safe bowl over a pot of boiling water. I definitely do not recommend that you melt coconut oil or beeswax in the pot or pan itself. It can be extremely difficult to get clean.
  2. Slowly melt your base ingredients, stirring whichever direction you feel comfortable with your spell and intention. For example, this could be stirring anti-clockwise to imbue the ingredients with the intent of keeping something away.
  3. Once your base is melted, add a few drops of essential oil to the base. Do not add more than 5 drops of each oil. Less is more and just because you can’t smell it doesn’t mean there isn’t enough in it.
  4. Continue stirring the ingredients to ensure that everything is mixed well.
  5. Pour the mixture into a glass or metal container. Never store anything containing essential oils in plastic!
  6. Use this rub the same way you would use any other!

Image from Pixabay

What are your favorite remedies for sickness? Please share, and bonus points if you can make them extra magickal!

13 Likes

Thanks for this post, @MeganB!!

I always go for honey and ginger but I love your tea recommendations and healing potions!

Feel better! :pray: :sparkles:

6 Likes

Aww…I hope you feel better. I have made this for YEARS…it was passed down to me from my GREAT Grandmother - https://www.thedalainala.com/post/a-must-have-for-the-winter

It makes you sweat! The idea was, that it would sweat the sickness right out of you.

5 Likes

I used to get this thing called a Hot Toddy (idk if that’s how you actually spell it) but it was like…some sort of soda, cinnamon, whiskey, lemon, and all kinds of ingredients when I was sick as a kid to make me sweat out the sickness. I don’t know if that’s a southern thing, because my family is from the South, or what but it always worked. I don’t do it so much now because of the sugar content and the whiskey, but it always worked! And it seems like that’s what the recipe is like that you linked, Laurie lol

6 Likes

I have no idea where ours originated from…only that my great grandmother swore by it and passed it down from generation to generation.

5 Likes

I’m starting to feel much better. I’ve got some antibiotics and my remedies and all is on the mend! I don’t know where our remedy came from either, but it was introduced to me by my Nana so…can’t argue with her! lol

4 Likes

Very nice! thank you!

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m glad many people have found it helpful so far.

3 Likes

Thank you for both the Sick Tea and the Sinus Rub.

I have a little sinus pain and I think both of these suggestions will help me. March / Spring weather seems to aggravate my allergies and asthma. I’ve been lightly tapping on my cheekbones and forehead and that is helping. Instead of saying I feel awful I’ve been saying …. I think I’m feeling better. Going to drink some hot tea now. Thank you @MeganB :relieved:

6 Likes

Oh, you poor rabbit! I hope you feel better soon! Your remedies sound wonderful, though. (Edit: DOH! This post is two years old, why did I not notice the date? Oh, well, hope you are doing good! LOL)

I had good luck clearing congestion once with leaning over a steaming pot of water with thyme leaves and lemon in it. If I have a cold and am eating chicken soup, I typically add thyme to the soup. It makes me feel better.

Sometimes, when conventional medicines aren’t working fast enough, I try folk remedies. I remember putting raw potato slices on my husband’s feet when he had a fever once. He was so miserably sick I don’t think what he cared I did to him. It seemed to help, though!

Another time, my son had the flu (he had the shot, too) and Tamiflu even wasn’t breaking his fever. I beat egg whites, soaked paper towels in them, and put them on the soles of his feet. Man, that fever came right down! This is the link where I learned that. (I had already taken him to the ER before I got out the eggs, so I am not suggesting this as a replacement for medical care).

5 Likes

@Amber.8 - You’re so welcome :blush: I hope it helps. It’s been a while since I’ve had to make something like this but when I do, it’s always worth it. I hope you feel better soon!

@mary25 - I’ve never tried those folk remedies but I’m glad they helped! I have been known to stick my head over a pot of boiling water just to get the steam in my face :laughing: I’ve never added thyme to it though. I’ll have to keep that in mind for next time!

2 Likes

@SilverBear Oh no! The link you put in doesn’t work anymore. I am very curious about great grandma’s recipe, do you have it somewhere else?

4 Likes

I think it might be this link now → https://www.theeclecticgreenwitchery.com/post/a-must-have-for-this-winter-season :blush:

5 Likes

@MeganB Thank you!! I love old recipes like this, our ancestors had so much knowledge before we lost it. Don’t get me wrong, yay modern medicine, but sometimes I think the old ways may have been pretty good.

4 Likes

Yep that is the link. Sorry I let my other site go to concentrate more on the witchy one!

5 Likes

I loove those recommendations, I’ll try them both for sure!

I also use oil made of eucalyptus, CBD, and mint, and I certainly love it, it calms me and relieves my sinus.

I hope you feel okay soon, much love from this side of Earth. :earth_americas:

5 Likes