Silly question! - Birthday candles and spells

Can I use a green “birthday” candle?! I literally went to do my ritual and found I am stocked in every color chime candle EXCEPT green and white! Of course! Not only am I missing the preferred color, I am out of the one I could use as it’s substitute :sob:

I was able to find one tiny, unused, bright green birthday candle but I am unsure if this would work and I am determined to do this tonight if possible!

8 Likes

I’m still super new to this kind of stuff, but my understanding is that any type of candle can be used, including a birthday candle :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I know you use chime candles(so do I), but many people actually start out with birthday candles because they are cheaper and easier to find. Your bright green candle will be fine. :slight_smile:

As an aside, I personally believe intentions are more important than ingredients/tools. While most people seem to prefer white candles as substitutes, I personally use black ones as my preferred color.

Enjoy the candle :candle: magic tonight.

10 Likes

Thank you @Jewitch and @praecog29! I never considered using black as a substitute!

7 Likes

I think Birthday candles are great for spells but like any other type of candle, they have their pros and cons. :+1: :-1:

On one hand, we all grew up making wishes around them so they are perfect for a simple wish spell (they burn fast). Also, they come in many different colors and are very affordable.

On the other hand, it’s hard to carve on them or decorate them, and they can distract you from the ritual you’re doing. You’ll probably have a harder time setting the mood when it looks like you’re about to blow a birthday cake! :cake:

7 Likes

Aren’t you the clever girl! I carry candles in my mini travel alter. Also, something new is incense matches, I’ve seen them on amazon and eBay rather expensive but a great concept. I’m looking for a recipe on how to make them. Anyway, I ramble…Blessed be.

4 Likes

Yep, that’ll work as long as it’s a candle and you have an intent. You don’t even need a candle just an intent. Lol

7 Likes

Birthday candles are a super affordable way to use candle magic!

6 Likes

When I first came back, all I had was birthday candles & that’s what I used until I got my regular candles.

5 Likes

I think you’re right, it is intent that’s more important than the size. I make things like Paper goddess, and offering dish, chalice, candle holder, and elements with clay in miniature to fit my tiny traveling alter. I used bracelet charms for the athame and cauldron. My intent is pure and I am blessed.

8 Likes

Yes yes and yes! 100%! Birthday candles are my favourite to use because a) they’re quick b) they’re easy to find anywhere and c) you can take them anywhere with ease.
I love quick magick and portable altars and anything miniature so the tiny candles just fit me.
My only issue is sometimes they burn TOO quick so I try to get a slightly better wax but in a pinch have used the ones from the dollar store.
I truly think it’s 99.9% your intent and the rest is the ether so honestly you can use what you like :black_heart:

6 Likes

I have those matches!!! If you ever are online the shop green moon apothecary has them!

6 Likes

I wish I knew how to make them, I’d use the old fashioned stick matches in the little boxes. But I haven’t found a recipe.

7 Likes

For me - Intent(ion) is key - regardless of the color of the candle - living out my Airstream during the week, I am using a lavender and citrus scented candle (developed by one of my drag queen girlfriends). I find it calming and uplifting at the same time

8 Likes

I use birthday candles a lot - especially if it’s a spell I need to leave the candle burn down. I don’t have time to sit there and watch a 4 hour candle burn! :slight_smile: I’m a modern witch with a modern life most of the time. There are times I use chime candles and there are times I use 7-day candles…it really all depends on my mood! It has to flow with what I’m vibing! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Intent is the key to most things. Goal, Intent, focus, etc.

6 Likes

Oooo that would be neat to make! I’ll keep my eye out maybe they’ll have them on Amazon and if so I can gift you a package

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Recycling wax and containers

I bought 4, 3 oz. cut glasses today (about 2" high)to make water and oil candles. The easiest way to form a wick is to peel the wax off a birth day candle, soak it in oil a few minutes. Cut a circle of plastic (from a soda bottle) a little smaller than the opening to your container, cut a small “X” in the middle. Insert wick into hole & pull through leaving 1/4-1/2 inch. you also can use acrylic gems or rocks, fill the glass 1/2-3/4 full with gems. cover the gems with water and then enough oil to leave .25" above the water. Insert wick into gems which will hold it from floating away.
To extinguish the flame without insult to the element of fire, place a small plate or cover over the glass until the lack of oxygen makes it go out.

3 Likes

Blessed be! What kind of candle holder is best used for birthday candles if used for spellwork and where can I buy that kind of candle holder?

4 Likes