So, I don't know which wood to choose?

I carved two wands tonight :grinning: But I don’t know which one I want to decorate? The thinner one is made of Willow and the thicker one is Birch. I just copied a picture I found online and I think they turned out pretty well :grin: Does anyone know anything about wood properties for wands and what’s best to choose? Or is it more intuition-based? Thank you in advance :heartpulse:
I also got this through today, it was meant to be for the challenge but it never arrived in time, and I thought the red on it was pink lol but I still love it :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

I recognise that mini besom!

The article I followed about my staff had a link to different types of wood and their magickal properties. Both links below

8 Likes

Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m going to have to get the BOS out so I can write them down, you are a star :star_struck:

6 Likes

Those wands are gorgeous!

Birch: The tree is used for protection, and the traditional broom of the Witches was made with their twigs and cradles were once manufactured from birch wood to protect their helpless charges. - Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by: Scott Cunningham

Willow: Love, Love Divination, Protection, Healing. carry or use the leaves in mixtures to atttract love. The wood is used to fashion magical wands dedicated to Moon Magic. - Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by: Scott Cunningham

I think either one would be great because you are making it & they have your energy!

6 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I like both of those properties :joy: I’m probably going to end up using both, one for Moon magic and the other for the rest :heartpulse:

6 Likes

There you go! Great idea using them both! Glad I could help!

5 Likes

I meant to say they’re both beautiful :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

No worries :heartpulse: The links are awesome btw so much new information :nerd_face: Oh and I seen the picture of your staff on the other post and it looks so good :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: The grain patterns are beautiful and its natural curve gives it real character :star_struck: I was meant to write on the actual post but there was so much to read through when I got on I lost it again lol :heartpulse:

5 Likes

I have never made a wand of my own, but I find both woods are very useful. For me I do believe though that choosing a wand depends on the person and the purpose of your work.

Was doing some research on this and came across this source on the internet tou can check it out here below:

Wood wands and meanings

I really hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: every bit of info helps make a choice :heartpulse: I honestly might end up using both of them for different purposes :grin:

6 Likes

I’m pulling towards the right one. But you always go with your own intuition!! They both look like they’d make great wands. Why can’t you have two? I have a few. I made one and bought 1, 2…? :joy: I don’t remember.

6 Likes

They both look fabulous! Definitely, I’d use both. I do love a beautiful weeping willow.
Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Blessed Be,

4 Likes

Beautiful wands, @Liisa! You have quite a talent for carving and wand design :star_struck:

Others have shared some wonderful knowledge about Birch and Willow- lots of great info here! Adding to that, I know @MeganB did some research on Sacred Irish Trees and wrote a post about the meanings and uses of Birch/ Beith as the wood is used in the Ogam alphabet and ancient Irish tradition. Just another resource for you to consider as you study the wood properties!

I think both trees have wonderful and unique benefits- I’m with Christina and Rown! If you’re up for it Lisa, why not decorate both lovely wands and use them for different purposes? At the very least, they would both make a beautiful addition to your altar space :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Happy wand making! :sparkles:

7 Likes

@christina4 @Rowan @BryWisteria Thank you :heart: my Grandad taught me to carve wood with a hunting knife and a Swiss blade, I don’t have his skills for fine details but I still love it :heart: I just looked for a picture of wands online and carved the shapes I liked, then give it a light sand and polish with linseed oil. I’m going to carve a Runic Talisman into each of them, which won’t go as smoothly as the shape carving lol but Runes don’t have to be perfect thankfully :blush: Should I remove all of the bark? The picture still had it on and like that it looks like a handle :heart:

4 Likes

When I made mine, I honestly can’t remember :sweat_smile: I’ve got to find it :rofl: but I know I wrapped hemp around the handle to make it it look like one. That ultimately your decision. I’m sure it’ll look great either way!!! :heart:

4 Likes

I’m with Christina on this one- I know it’ll look great with or without the bark! :+1: It is kind of fun that it looks like a natural handle, but removing the bark leaves more room for decorations (wire wrapping, carving, etc). No wrong decision either way! :grin:

3 Likes

@christina4 @BryWisteria Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I like Birchbark so I might leave that one on but remove the Willow bark :grin: Loose dried pieces of Birchbark make really good starting boards for fire lighting kits. if you scrape a little of the dried resin from the inside and use a flint and steel with some tinder it will light practically straight away, its a life-saving bark in the wild :heartpulse:

4 Likes

That is actually very good life saving advice! Thank! :wink:

4 Likes

You are most welcome :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I have more bushcraft knowledge than I do Magick craft knowledge so far lol :joy: but I plan to even them out :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Both are about learning how to work in harmony with the land- I think bushcraft knowledge and green magick go hand-in-hand! :national_park: :green_heart:

If you ever have any more bushcraft wisdom you’re willing to share, please feel free to do so @Liisa! :deciduous_tree: :sparkles::blush:

4 Likes