Sourdough obsession

I’ve been lax with sharing my creations lately.

Sourdough spicy cheese bread

6 Likes

Sourdough loaf

6 Likes

Sourdough discard Cinnamon sugar pull apart bread

RECIPE

Summary

Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart SourdoughDiscard Bread
By Kate Nicole
Ready in about 2 hours
Serves 6-8 people

Ingredients for Dough
● 7g Instant Yeast
● 2 cups flour
● ½ cup Almond Milk (warmed to around
110°)
● 2 tsp salt
● 1 egg (lightly beaten)
● 150-160g sourdough discard (unfed and
room temperature)
● ½ - ¼ cup sugar
● 2 tbsp melted butter
Ingredients for Filing
● ½ cup sugar
● 2 tablespoons cinnamon
● 4 tablespoons butter

Ingredients for Icing
● 2 cups powdered sugar
● 1 tablespoon melted butter
● 2-4 tablespoons milk (less for thicker
consistency)
● 2 tsp vanilla extract
Preparation

1. Combine the warmed milk, instant yeast, and sugar into the bowl of your mixer. Add the
    flour, discard, and beaten egg. . With the mixer turned on low, combine and slowly add
    melted butter. Mix until dough comes together.
  2. Transfer your dough to a smooth surface and begin to knead. Continue kneading until
    dough forms a smooth ball. About 2-3 minutes. The dough should be smooth and slightly
    tacky but not sticky! If it becomes sticky, add a little flour or almond milk depending on the
    consistency.
  3. Transfer your formed dough ball to a greased glass dish and cover with plastic wrap. Let
    rise for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
  4. While dough is rising, mix softened butter, sugar, and cinnamon for filling into a small bowl.
    Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
  5. After the dough has risen, divide into 12 equal pieces. I.E. dough weighs 600g, divide into
    12 balls at 50g each. They do not need to be exact as this is what gives the loaf shape.
  6. Flatten each piece in the palm of your hand and shape into a small circle 4-5 inches in
    diameter. Spread around a tablespoon amount of the butter mixture on the inside of each
    disk. Fold in half and place the fold side down inside the loaf pan. Continue with each piece
    until all 12 are back to back in the pan.
  7. Cover the loaf pan with plastic and let rise again until pieces are puffy. Around 30 minutes.
    The pieces should not rise above the edges of the pan. While rising, preheat the oven to
    350-375. If your oven cooks warmer, use a lower temperature as the sugar content will
    make this more susceptible to burning.
  8. After the bread has risen and is puffy, place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Again,
    this is dependent on your oven.
  9. While the bread is baking, make your icing. Combine the melted butter, powdered sugar,
    vanilla, and milk into a bowl and set aside.
  10. When bread is baked and slightly golden, remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove
    from pan, top with glaze. Serve warm.
7 Likes

Sourdough discard goldfish crackers

6 Likes

Sourdough discard waffles

I can add recipes to any and all of these later when I get home.

7 Likes

Season 2 Episode 10 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Yeah… I’ve gotta do this when I get the supplies :joy: so much baking and so much deliciousness!

6 Likes

Oh my gosh. So much beautiful bread. :heart_eyes:

Spicy. Cheese. And bread?!

I need this recipe. :smile:

6 Likes

These are all AMAZING! :star_struck: Makes me wonder if there’s anything sourdough can’t be made into lol- it seems like a real magickal base, good for just about every type of cooking and baking!

They’re all beautiful but this… well, I think I could eat that pan of sourdough cinnamon bread all by myself in one sitting :joy: :+1:

6 Likes

This is just the regular recipe with no sourdough discard added. @starborn

5 Likes

Thank you! :black_heart:

We’ll probably change up the cheeses, but I’m excited for this. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I named my starter Dumbledough lol. The clever careot is my favorite site for recipes!

6 Likes

:laughing: I love that!

6 Likes

I have been making “wheat thin” crackers during the week. They are so good. they don’t last long!

(sorry to anyone with OCD, I can’t cut straight :frowning: )

5 Likes

They look delicious and addictive :yum:

6 Likes

They are both! I made a double batch yesterday and they are already halfway gone!

6 Likes

What do you put in besides the sourdough?

5 Likes

Thank you for asking, I keep meaning to post the recipes as well but usually forget. This is a great reminder. I added in comments between the original recipe instructions.

Sourdough Discard Seeded Crackers

Prep Time 15 minutes mins
Cook Time 25 minutes mins
Total Time 40 minutes mins
Servings 60 crackers

Equipment

• Digital Scales
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Rolling Pin
  • Cracker Roller

I use a pizza cutter

• Baking Trays

Ingredients

• ▢ 150 g Sourdough Discard unfed sourdough starter

Reverse engineering this, if not using sourdough discard, you would add 1/4 cup more flour and 1/4 cup more water instead.

• ▢ 65 g All Purpose Flour
  • ▢ 40 g Whole Wheat Flour
  • ▢ 10 g Salt
  • ▢ 40 g Olive Oil
  • ▢ 60 g Rolled Oats
  • ▢ 40 g Honey
  • ▢ 50 g Seeds (sesame, pumpkin, flax, chia etc)
  • ▢ 10 g Salt for sprinkling on top
  • ▢ 20 g Olive Oil for brushing

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
  • Add sourdough discard, flour, olive oil, salt, honey, oats and seeds to a mixing bowl and bring the ingredients together to form a pliable dough (see notes).
  • Divide the dough into two portions (this makes it easier to roll).
  • Place each ball onto a piece of parchment paper and flatten out with your hands into a rough rectangle.
  • Now roll out to a thin sheet of dough using a rolling pin. You want it around 1/16" or 1.5mm thick.The dough should not be sticky at all and easy to roll - however see notes below for some troubleshooting if your dough is sticky.
  • Use a cracker roller to perforate dough. If you don’t have a cracker roller you can use a cookie cutter or knife to cut into crackers and then pierce each one with the tines of a fork.
  • Place each parchment paper with dough on top onto a baking sheet. This recipe will generally need two baking trays.
  • Brush dough with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. You can also sprinkle with more seeds like sesame if you wish.
  • Bake at 350F/180C for around 25 minutes or until crackers are golden and crisp.
  • Let the crackers cool on a rack before breaking into individual pieces.
    (Seeded Sourdough Discard Crackers - The Pantry Mama)
5 Likes

Sourdough discard scones

I had a request for scones and this morning was the very first time baking them. I made half of them with blueberries and the other with dark chocolate chips.

I think next time, I’ll see if I can find dried blueberries (I used frozen) and maybe use sweeter chocolate chips but these were amazing for a first attempt!

Sourdough Scones

These sourdough scones are the perfect master scone recipe. They have a tender crumb on the inside and are the perfect base for all of your favorite add-ins.>

Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes minutes

Servings: 8

Author: Lisa Bass

Ingredients

Dry Ingredients

• 2 cups all purpose flour 280 grams
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100 grams
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt 2.5 grams
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, frozen 113 grams
  • 1 cup mix ins chocolate chips, blueberries, dried cranberries

Wet Ingredients

• 1/2 cup sourdough starter discard 142 grams
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 grams
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream 45 grams (milk can be substituted)

Topping (optional)

• 2 tablespoons heavy cream 30 grams
  • 3 tablespoons coarse sugar

Instructions

• In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

• Grate frozen butter into the dry ingredients with a cheese grater and cut in with a pastry cutter. (You can also use your hands or a food processor).

• Add in the mix-ins and coat with flour. Set the bowl aside.

• In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.

• Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Be careful not to overwork the dough.

• On a clean, lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a circle about 8” in diameter. Cut the circle into 8 equal parts.

• Place on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 2” apart.

• Put in the fridge for 30 minutes up to 3 days for a longer fermentation. They will not ferment much at 30 minutes, but after 3 days the grains should be nicely fermented.

• When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°.

• Brush the top of the scones with cream and sprinkle with sugar. (Optional)

• Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Notes

• The key is to keep the scones very cold before baking so they don’t spread out. I put mine in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
  • Also, it helps to use frozen butter, cold cream, and cold eggs. This also helps to make the scones more flaky.
  • If you want to long-ferment these scones, there are two ways to go about this. See below for two examples.
  • Freeze them totally baked for an easy and special breakfast any day of the week. Just pop them into the oven to reheat.

Nutrition

Serving: 1g | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 2mg
(Source)

5 Likes

Woo! :partying_face: Thank you for the recipe. :black_heart: They look great.

4 Likes

Oh, hello lovely scones - these look amazing :drooling_face: :two_hearts:

Thank you for the recipe, @Artemisia - my tummy is grumbling now! Might have to add scones to the to-make list this week. They sure look delicious!

4 Likes